Widnes v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Widnes v Wigan

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:I can't understand why people are claiming that fans have been short changed. Why? Because we lost?
Because they know why we lost which was:
....Wane left out the spine of our team
Meaning it was completely avoidable and that is why many are furious.

And because people pay good money (I mentioned already one person who travelled from down south paying £120 for that game) to see their stars like Sam and Lockers playing.

Everyone would accept one or two debuts in a game like that against a team like Widnes but given the 19 man squad I don't think anyone expected the likes of Lockers being left out so would have been shocked at the team that took the pitch.

As to it only being four left out it was Lockers, Sam, Tommy, Pat and of course Carmont was injured so we already had rookie Hughes in the side.

The number of years experience that Wane removed from the pitch with his idiotic selection cost us the match and people know this.

It's unacceptable to treat the fans like that so the result is only part of it. It is no surpise there is such a long thread on it.

Had the 1st team actually lost having been at full strength I think there would have been far less anger believe it or not.

and that was probably a mistake, in hindsight. But that's only 4 players, Lockers, Leuluai, Sam and Pat.
Now, I'm not Carol Vorderman when it comes to maths, but even I know that 4 (5 at a stretch) isn't half of 17!

Worse things have happened, and will probably happen again. I wouldn't for one minute expect Wane to come out and say he got it all wrong, why should he? He doesn't have to explain himself to fans.

We lost the Huddersfield game because (as admitted by the players), they took the opposition too lightly. That's the players, not the coaching staff.
We lost to Widnes because of too many changes, the lack of big game players and Widnes playing the game of their lives.

I, for one, am not too bothered about the Widnes result and I fully expect us to beat London pretty well. If a person never made any mistakes, they would never learn anything at all. There isn't one single person in the world who has never made a mistake, except CPW, obviously :wink: :lol: [/quote]
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

stevethegas wrote:Yes, well, we lost a game we might have won if things had been done differently. But they weren't and we lost, and this is the 137th comment on the fact. Some of the comments and emotions seem out of proportion to losing one game of rugby in a long season. Hopefully we'll learn from it and the new players (who didn't disgrace themselves at all) have had a real taste of being in first team.
So perhaps it's time we all got over it and moved on.
Well said!

I think that everyone realises what went wrong and we may have done better with a different team but as Steve says there's bugger all we can do about it now.

Wane's many things but he's not a crap coach and he took a gamble that bit him. That's it! End of story! Let's move on.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that Widnes did ok too. They'd have beaten a lot of teams playing like that.

If there's one thing that's consistent on here is that when things go wrong, there are a lot of egos all bidding to make a proclamation about how it happened. And anyone else be damned to disagree.

I really don't think it's worth all the bickering

Wigan lost a game of rugby. It's happened before and it'll happen again.

So in the positive and inspiring words of TonyH.......

LET'S SMASH LONDON THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

stevethegas wrote:Yes, well, we lost a game we might have won if things had been done differently. But they weren't and we lost, and this is the 137th comment on the fact. Some of the comments and emotions seem out of proportion to losing one game of rugby in a long season. Hopefully we'll learn from it and the new players (who didn't disgrace themselves at all) have had a real taste of being in first team.
So perhaps it's time we all got over it and moved on.
WE do't need to learn from it. Shaun Wane is the one that needs to learn from it, and it seems he thinks he did nothing wrong.
This is two points thrown away. Wigan should be top of the league now and we aren't because of Shaun Wane's arrogance.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

DaveO wrote:
Sutty wrote:I can't understand why people are claiming that fans have been short changed. Why? Because we lost?

And because people pay good money (I mentioned already one person who travelled from down south paying £120 for that game) to see their stars like Sam and Lockers playing.

Everyone would accept one or two debuts in a game like that against a team like Widnes but given the 19 man squad I don't think anyone expected the likes of Lockers being left out so would have been shocked at the team that took the pitch.

As to it only being four left out it was Lockers, Sam, Tommy, Pat and of course Carmont was injured so we already had rookie Hughes in the side.

The number of years experience that Wane removed from the pitch with his idiotic selection cost us the match and people know this.

It's unacceptable to treat the fans like that so the result is only part of it. It is no surpise there is such a long thread on it.

Had the 1st team actually lost having been at full strength I think there would have been far less anger believe it or not.

and that was probably a mistake, in hindsight. But that's only 4 players, Lockers, Leuluai, Sam and Pat.
Now, I'm not Carol Vorderman when it comes to maths, but even I know that 4 (5 at a stretch) isn't half of 17!

Worse things have happened, and will probably happen again. I wouldn't for one minute expect Wane to come out and say he got it all wrong, why should he? He doesn't have to explain himself to fans.

We lost the Huddersfield game because (as admitted by the players), they took the opposition too lightly. That's the players, not the coaching staff.
We lost to Widnes because of too many changes, the lack of big game players and Widnes playing the game of their lives.

I, for one, am not too bothered about the Widnes result and I fully expect us to beat London pretty well. If a person never made any mistakes, they would never learn anything at all. There isn't one single person in the world who has never made a mistake, except CPW, obviously :wink: :lol:
[/quote]
DaveO wrote:

I, for one, am not too bothered about the Widnes result and I fully expect us to beat London pretty well. If a person never made any mistakes, they would never learn anything at all. There isn't one single person in the world who has never made a mistake, except CPW, obviously :wink: :lol:
[/quote]

The thing is DaveO this loss could be crucial come the end of the season :eusa15:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

That is exactly right Winky, winning rugby league games against Leeds and Catalan is tough enough but then to throw the hard work away by losing to Widnes due to silly team selection is ludicrous! Winning is good and losing is bad it is as simple as that and losing is even worse when it clearly could have been avoided.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:That is exactly right Winky, winning rugby league games against Leeds and Catalan is tough enough but then to throw the hard work away by losing to Widnes due to silly team selection is ludicrous! Winning is good and losing is bad it is as simple as that and losing is even worse when it clearly could have been avoided.
I was gutted like the rest of us but on reflextion it was a good lesson to learn from and I am sure S W will keep on trying some of our young guns this season. This season is going to be long and hard and we will need our young reserves to be up to speed by next September,we need to remember this is a marathon not a sprint. Last season we faded badly after the challenge cup and most of our players were showing signs of tiredness and the injurys of a long season.I am sure S W will not throw so many in next time but he knows he needs to blood our young reserves and we will see the rewards when he can rotate our team regulary and give our best players some rest and keep them refreshed
mickh

Post by mickh »

What is all this "resting players" malarky, as someone has said, we have only played 6 matches! All the players do is train all week, with the best medical care that can be found for bumps and bruises. They should now be hitting peak performance at this stage of the season, for goodness sake they only play 80 minutes of rugby a week even football play more than that, or its not as if they had done a shift down the pit beforehand now is it!
Stop wrapping them in cotton wool Wane and respect your paying public.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

mickh wrote:What is all this "resting players" malarky, as someone has said, we have only played 6 matches! All the players do is train all week, with the best medical care that can be found for bumps and bruises. They should now be hitting peak performance at this stage of the season, for goodness sake they only play 80 minutes of rugby a week even football play more than that, or its not as if they had done a shift down the pit beforehand now is it!
This has to be a wind up surely? Surely? Are you trolling because you can't be serious.

Listen, I train at TF Wigan and quite often you see the players in there for group sessions and swims. I've seen the lads swimming and at times it looks like somebody had taken a baseball bat to their ribs. There's bumps and bruises and then there's impact from rugby league.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Why was Marsh allowed to play against us? Surely loaning a player out should have a benefit to us - namely that he plays against everyone else except us? Whoever agreed that loan deal clearly doesn't think that Marsh is much cop.

The last time we lost to a newly "promoted" side away in a season - we didn't exactly have a blinder...
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Mr Sergent

Post by Mr Sergent »

weststand-rich wrote:
mickh wrote:What is all this "resting players" malarky, as someone has said, we have only played 6 matches! All the players do is train all week, with the best medical care that can be found for bumps and bruises. They should now be hitting peak performance at this stage of the season, for goodness sake they only play 80 minutes of rugby a week even football play more than that, or its not as if they had done a shift down the pit beforehand now is it!
This has to be a wind up surely? Surely? Are you trolling because you can't be serious.

Listen, I train at TF Wigan and quite often you see the players in there for group sessions and swims. I've seen the lads swimming and at times it looks like somebody had taken a baseball bat to their ribs. There's bumps and bruises and then there's impact from rugby league.

To be fair this is not trolling it is a valid opinion. I agree. Our players should not need a week off 5 games into the season should they? Yes it is a physical game but these guys train and condition themselves for it.