Re: Our Forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jake

Post by Jake »

The other stat is we have let in 67 points in two games :(
Jake

Post by Jake »

The other stat is we have let in 67 points in two games :(
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I wonder if the stats of players from last season are better or worse than this season?

Lima stands out yet Wane seems less pro Lima than Madge IMO.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The stats seem to show a lack of intensity. The game seemed like the team knew they could win but lacked the drive to kill it off. I would point to this as another legacy from the Widnes game..... you can not throw easy points away without it having no effect on the mentality of the players.
If the coach shows a lack of intent by playing an under strength team then his players will no doubt do the same, this game stunk of it. Dont give me any of "none of the players who didn't play passed medicals" because we all know they could have played if needed, just one starting and one on the bench would have been enough.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Lima should start he looks in top form.
Then again coaches have reasons......... Monie never liked Wane for example :wink:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

The stats back up exactly what I said after the game. Only Lima and Hock played anywhere near the capabilities in our pack and that simply isn't good enough, but lets not over react here. I am sure there was one eye on the warrington game and I very much doubt we'll be as lethargic in defence against wire as we were on Sunday.

Thought our forwards were really slow at marker, micky mac got taught out twice which directly led to tries for them, something he's usually great at. Maybe carrying a knock? who knows.

Any news on Mossop? will he be back for Friday? I would like him to come in for either eric or flower. whilst we're on the sublect of forwards I would prefer to see Flower come off the bench and play 13 instead of tuson when lockers moves to 6. I can't see a role for tuson in this team to be honest.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think our forwards will go a lot better on Friday but that's not the point the defence needs to be ruthless and our attack slick against everyone, have no doubt though we will be the team to beat at the business end.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

You could make a living out of statistics - we'd better tell Phil Clarke!

Watching Sunday's game I was struck by the split personality we seem to have.
For big chunks of the game our defence line was static when London had the ball, and so we gave away 10m per tackle, and about 50 per set. Not surprisingly they got good field position from which they scored (too often!).
However, for other chunks of the game Wigan's whole defensive line moved up as a man, and fast, and restricted London to about 25m per set. Then we got the ball in good field position and we scored.
What I can't work out is why we are good at restricting them sometimes and rubbish other times. It seems to affect the whole team, but I can't believe it's policy or strategy. If it is strategy, then it ain't working!

London seemed to want to move up on us when we had the ball throughout the game, and they were good for their 30 points. However if we do it we can beat anyone - including the Wire. After the disappointment of Hudds, we've played very well and up to the last 2 games had the meanest defence in the league. We'll need it on Friday! But I'm sure Warrington will be just as concerned as we are that this is the first really big test for both teams.
Stevethegas
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm quietly confident about Friday. I reckon Leeds are currently the team to beat!
markill

Post by markill »

Cherry Pie is our very own Phil Clarke on here isn't he. I do like stats, but they don't show or explain everything.

On this week's stats, I think its fair to point out Hansen didn't get as many minutes as normal. I don't have the stats to hand like Cherry Pie probably does but i'm guessing his figures were significantly down from the Catalans game in all areas. I don't think his form is anything to be concerned about.

I don't think Mossop and Lima should start together because they are our best two and we drop off too much when they are both off the pitch. This is what happened against Huddersfield if i'm remembering it right.

Part of the explanation for Flower's lower stats would be that he is a second row, so metres against big guys up the middle wouldn't be his strength. He makes up for this with his impressive defensive work rate.

As a purely on sight observation I thought Lauaki had his least effective game since the first game against Hudderfield (I didn't go to Widnes game).

All in all our forwards are going well this year. The Leeds game and the second half against Catalans make me think our forwards can take charge against other good packs.

in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod