Silverwood should stick to what he knows best....

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gizmo_Edwards

Silverwood should stick to what he knows best....

Post by Gizmo_Edwards »

Which appears to be punching stewards at Huddersfield.... His performance last night was appalling. This is not an excuse for Wigan's defeat as I felt like the stark difference was the lack of composure in the last 20 mins.

However some of the key decisions were clearly wrong and in Wane's post match interview he said he would be asking a few questions regarding the referees decisions.

1. Gaz hock makes a break and the support runner gets tackled without the ball. This is a professional foul as the support runner would have scored. Straight forward 10 mins in sin bin.

2. Briers clearly offside when the interception try was scored. Should have gone to screen where it would have been chalked off. Are we to sporting??? If this would have been the other way around Briers would have surrounded the ref as would Danny Mcguire and Brent webb for Leeds.

3. Charnley makes a break and Brett Hodgson clearly slows him down to get his defenders back in place. Professional foul - sin bin.

4. Lauaki leads with the forearm, but then Westwood runs in an deliberately smashed him in the head. How many times have we seen n heard it "the retaliator always gets punished". The penalty should have been reversed.

5. This is the worst of the lot. Charnley clearly is competing for the ball in the air and Atkins catches it in an offside position. Its an easy decision. For some reason the ref gives a penalty for taking him out in the air. Pathetic. Ganson should have told the ref it was clear and Wigan should have kicked on...

I have ignored the 3-4 swinging arms from Morley which also went unpunished.

Please Mr Cummings do not give us this ref again. I am not saying he was biased as he got some calls wrong the other way. But his performance was pathetic.
Wigan Rugby League Fans:- the jackpot winners in rugby league life...
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Silverwood should stick to what he knows best....

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The touch judges have a big role to play, particularly regarding offside decisions. Both teams were offside last night, the problem is that Briers did it better than our guys. In fact, I would go as far as to say, he reminded me of Giz at his best. We need to get more streetwise!

There is no mention here of Tommy's error, he should never have thrown that pass.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

this is about 4 times in a row most of our team have recieved head injuries against wire , no protection from ref and westwood has the check to say he did out out of frustation of wat had gone on in rest of game
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

mike binder wrote:this is about 4 times in a row most of our team have recieved head injuries against wire , no protection from ref and westwood has the check to say he did out out of frustation of wat had gone on in rest of game
But westwood is a knob and a thug pure and simple mike

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Morley should have gone for the swinging arm on Prescott in the first five minutes - it was worse than the Higham tackle on Burrow; so I would expect a similar punishment.

Westwood should have gone for the swinging arm. He ran in and attacked the head of a tackled player. He should also be banned for at least 3.

The sad thing; I don't think that bentham, childs, or alibert would have called it any differently. The poor standard of refereeing is killing rugby league - although that is only to be expected when you have the worst referee of his generation in charge of the rest of them. There is no accountability and without that, standards will never improve.

I mailed boots-n-all asking why refereeing is so poor. Basically, dire have won the last two games down to tries scored when they shouldn't have been. Bet they don't answer it.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
pie eater and proud of it

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

I agree with all the above, Wigan it seems are always having to prove themselves as whiter than white whilst others do not.

It seems Shaun Wane is having a telephone conference with Mr Cummings today. Nothing will change, Cummings hated us when he was a ref and no doubt still does so.
BriH

Post by BriH »

pie eater and proud of it wrote:I agree with all the above, Wigan it seems are always having to prove themselves as whiter than white whilst others do not.

It seems Shaun Wane is having a telephone conference with Mr Cummings today. Nothing will change, Cummings hated us when he was a ref and no doubt still does so.
Unfortunately I have to agree (about Scummings). Apparently, the coaching staff have prepared a dossier based on their scrutiny of the video(s) of the game. The last penalty appears to have been taken closer to the goal posts than it should have been.
I still think the Club Chairman should raise the standards of refereeing when they meet. More clout - hopefully - than the Coaches.
jobo

Post by jobo »

At times he was as bad for them as he was for us and generally speaking, reasonably good overall. I say this in hindsight because at the time, I thought he was bobbins.

If you start sin-binning and sending off, the game gets ruined and I think for out and out fouls, we would have suffered more than wire.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

jobo wrote: If you start sin-binning and sending off, the game gets ruined and I think for out and out fouls, we would have suffered more than wire.
For anyone of the half dozen or so high tackles from Morley, the two professional fouls and the cheap shot on a held player from Westwood? Dire could (and should) have been down to ten men at one point. EL would have gone too - but then I've no problem with that as long as Westwood went too.

If you don't punish foul and dirty play; then players like Morley do it more and more and it will eventually end up with someone getting seriously hurt.

Personally, I think that the refs have been utterly gutless and as a result the game has suffered; because no one thinks they will get penalised.

How does banning Westwood now help us? He should have gone there and then. Just like Ablett should have gone for the elbowing Sam in the face. Weak refs mean more cowards and cheap shots and will almost certainly mean players like Sam receiving even more attention.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I know that it will not make any difference to the result or the way Silverwood officiates against Wigan.I have however emailed the Rfl today offering to buy them a couple of blind dogs and a paid prescription for the touch judges.Doubt I will get any response though as I'm sure that the mandarins at red hall will see it for what it is.I also had the temerity to email scummins. Highlighting a host of offences missed or ignored by Silverwood. No doubt I will get the same responsive reply as last season crap and more crap.