Very worried

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mike binder

Re: Very worried

Post by mike binder »

TonyH wrote:There comes a point when players need to have the balls to speak up and say this isn't working, why don't they just revert back to what they were taught under Madge defensively, regardless of what Wane says. :conf:
they will and r speaking but not to any 1 on here
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mike binder wrote:
TonyH wrote:There comes a point when players need to have the balls to speak up and say this isn't working, why don't they just revert back to what they were taught under Madge defensively, regardless of what Wane says. :conf:
they will and r speaking but not to any 1 on here
Nothing could be further from the truth. Take away obvious examples like Josie there are at least 3, maybe 4 I know of with regular daily contact.

Bit presumptious of you there Michael. You would be amazed just who are member / who reads what here and elsewhere. ;)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pieater-alex wrote:I was all for Wane too. Continuity from the great work Madge has done. The idea being a new head coach from elsewhere would want to put his own ideas forward, but change too much.
This was certainly my view. I expected business as usual under Wane. I don't think that is what we are getting.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:I was all for Wane too. Continuity from the great work Madge has done. The idea being a new head coach from elsewhere would want to put his own ideas forward, but change too much.
This was certainly my view. I expected business as usual under Wane. I don't think that is what we are getting.
Warriors chairman Ian Lenegan told press: “We are delighted to unveil our new all-British coaching team of Shaun Wane and Iestyn Harris to lead coaching at all levels within the club in conjunction with Mark Bitcon and Kris Radlinski. I sought continuance of the methods, systems, analytics, discipline and performance established so well by Michael Maguire and Shaun was the perfect candidate to continue that approach, and even improve it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Warriors chairman Ian Lenegan told press: “We are delighted to unveil our new all-British coaching team of Shaun Wane and Iestyn Harris to lead coaching at all levels within the club in conjunction with Mark Bitcon and Kris Radlinski. I sought continuance of the methods, systems, analytics, discipline and performance established so well by Michael Maguire and Shaun was the perfect candidate to continue that approach, and even improve it.
Well that does or will put the ball in IL's court depending how things pan out. If we don't get the "continuance of the methods, systems, analytics, discipline and performance established so well by Michael Maguire" from Wane and Harris what is IL going to do?
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

Mc Manus has pointed the way, IL should follow and quickly.
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

Although the last 3 games by Wigan standards have been totally unacceptable I think its still a bit early to sack Shaun Wane. Lets not forget that before the Widnes game we were all on this same forum on a massive high as we had won 4 on the trot and taken 2 big scalps in the process.

I'd like to think that the players and coaching staff are discussing where things are going wrong and are frantically trying to find a formula that will get us back to playing the way we were against the likes of Leeds and Catalans.

I certainly think that the decision to rest so many big guns against Widnes has contributed to us losing momentum but I can't see why things should have changed so massively since then, coaching wise, now that the team is back to near full strength. Surely some blame needs to be directed at the players as well. After all Shaun Wane isn't the one out on the pitch missing tackles, giving away penalties and throwing out wild passes on the 1st and 2nd tackles.

I will say though that there is one issue that does give me cause for concern and that is I wonder just how seriously the players take SW. For the majority of our squad he has played a large part in their development through the youth set up and I wonder whether there are too many who see him more as a friend than a boss and find it hard to accept when he lays down the law. When Madge arrived he was an unkown quantity so that demanded immediate respect.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

georgeorwell wrote:Mc Manus has pointed the way, IL should follow and quickly.
Actually, McManus has followed Wigan's lead. It worked for them tonight against Leeds. And hang on,.....it worked for us against Leeds as well!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I was a bit cautious about the Wane taking over - however I was happy provided he stuck to our previous method/structure.

The first game of the season, combined with the last 3 matches has made me more than a bit nervous. You could argue that we beat the whinos because they were focusing on the WCC; the other teams that we've beaten have hardly been top drawer.

The loss to Huddersfield in the first game of the season; only shocked Wane. We'd experimented in the friendlies and not got the team battle ready.

The loss to Widnes with an understrength team only seemed to be a surprise to Wane - everyone and their dog had predicted it.

We face Salford next week and anything other than a convincing win should signal serious alarm bells for IL. After that it's Good Friday - a heavy loss there and Wane may not see the next bank holiday.

Due to our team; we see flashes of brilliance in attack; however our defence is unrecognisible from last season. Dire did not play well; however we some how managed to give them the game (with a bit of help from silverwood). I just don't have the confidence in them that I had when Madge was in charge. It feels like Noble is in charge again - yes we can play well; but we seem to be very flat a lot of the time.

I like SW; but his post match comments just seem as disorganised as his defensive line. EL is devastated? How do you think the fans feel? We concede 30 points two weeks running to the two bottom clubs? Defence not good enough? You don't say.

I almost feel that SW is out of depth and knows it - that's why he keeps saying how much he loves his job.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
jobo

Post by jobo »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Are wanes tactics an attempt to win over the Wigan fans, ie we are going to be much sharper and free flowing on attack ?

Yes we want to see this but off the back of good D
He doesn't think about what he's saying, which is the most worrying part for me. Most of what he comes out with are sound-bites and he gets backed into a corner with TV interviews. I just wonder how he can make himself understood by the players. The more I watch NRL via premier sports the more CP is right. Not only is the game played at a level and consistency we can only dream of, the coaches all appear to have a deep understanding and are able to communicate this to their players, TV interviewers etc.