Mark Preston

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Mark Preston

Post by Kittwazzer »

Welcome to the forum Fuzzy. And well done for not starting a new thread when there was already one running! :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Seems like a google search and this came up - i wouldn't delve back to 2005! Will always remember his try at Wembley he zoooooooooomed
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ragman

Post by ragman »

Honestly think he was the fastest I've ever seen over 0-40 yards. Probably not Offiah quick over the length of the field but that seldom matters in reality. Look at Steve Ella..

John Monie really didn't rate him though and I think he went to 'fax. Seem to remember he was at Widnes at some point as well..???
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ragman wrote:Honestly think he was the fastest I've ever seen over 0-40 yards. Probably not Offiah quick over the length of the field
IIRC, there was a public debate as to which of the 2 was the fastest so a contest was arranged which Offiah won!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We were made to play union at school, and so I ended up playing against him a couple of times - I think he went to Kirkham, but it might have King Edwards or Arnold School. He was a great player at school - played five eighth and scored some great tries as you'd expect. I also played with him in some county trials. Admittedly he may have fallen in love with himself subsequently, but he was a great lad, a real team player, and good company.
He was one of my favourite Wigan wingers, and I think we let him go far too early. I remember his long range Wembley try was a thing of beauty. He seemed to glide across the ground.
Thanks for the happy memories this has stirred.
ragman

Post by ragman »

Kittwazzer wrote:
ragman wrote:Honestly think he was the fastest I've ever seen over 0-40 yards. Probably not Offiah quick over the length of the field
IIRC, there was a public debate as to which of the 2 was the fastest so a contest was arranged which Offiah won!
Don't remember that, though I'll take your word for it. My point was that I think MP was quicker off the mark and hit his top speed quicker, and players rarely need to go the length of the pitch in a real game.

I do recall a head to head between Offiah and Lee Oudenryn.
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

Hello, this is my first post on the site. I've worked with Mark for many years, unfortunately he had signed for Halifax when I first met him so he couldn't get me any free tickets :) . Not sure where the comments about him being full of himself come from, I've always found him to be absolutely genuine and a really nice guy. I think he may still be mates with Shaun Wane.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Seinfeld79 wrote:Hello, this is my first post on the site. I've worked with Mark for many years, unfortunately he had signed for Halifax when I first met him so he couldn't get me any free tickets :) . Not sure where the comments about him being full of himself come from, I've always found him to be absolutely genuine and a really nice guy. I think he may still be mates with Shaun Wane.
I can only concur with what has been said by this poster. Mark also took part in events re Mike Gregory etc

Preston never raced Offiah unless you count the Championship decider v Widnes at Naughton Park. He did very well at Fax after he left us too. Studied at KGS (Kirkham)
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

As soon as I saw the name Mark Preston, the long range try against the Wire immediately sprang to mind. Having lived in Warrington for all of my life apart from the 1st two years, that try is 1 of my fondest memories from watching rugby league. I was at high school in Warrington at the time so the amount of grief I got for being a Wigan fan was unbelievable. So to witness that try and to be able to go into school the following Monday having spanked the Wire is a very special memory of mine.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

now theres a blast from the past. mum told me when we played leeds at cp he scored and ended up in advertising barriers where tunnel was and about same time i fell of wall asleep in kop end and had to be carried all way up to swinley end took away in ambulance.
IN WANE WE TRUST