Re: MNF ! Was its a success ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Any one completely new to the sport would be confused because I felt they didn't explain any rules of the game whilst play was proceeding.

Instead, as per usual, we had the usual drivel from them all.

I've said it before, they aren't like professional commentators of the game, more like a couple of mates discussing it between themselves in the pub!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think if they had made a big deal about explaining the rules the whole sport would have come across as something that no-one knows or cares about. I think they sturck the right kind of balance between acknowledging that new viewers may be present and encouraging them and the regular viewers.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I didn't really aim my comment of 'new viewers to the sport' to football supporters cos the majority of them don't know a proper "man's" if it slapped them in the face :wink:

The commentary was as always rubbish so I suppose you're right, it wouldn't matter to new viewers of the sport anyway!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

How about the cracker by EH "Roby must be nailed on for the MOS" this year"?
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

cherry.pie wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Any one completely new to the sport would be confused because I felt they didn't explain any rules of the game whilst play was proceeding.

I've said it before, they aren't like professional commentators of the game, more like a couple of mates discussing it between themselves in the pub!!
I felt the opposite to be honest. Rugby league is simple enough to understand and constantly explaining rules for 'newcomers' completely spoils the commentary.

It was cringeworthy at times with the way they were almost talking to the viewers assuming their were loads of football fans watching for the first time and assuming they knew absolutely nothing about what was going on.

At one point Eddie started talking about players getting up off the ground after picking up a knock and saying something like 'football fans must be wondering what he's doing getting up and playing on'. Because that's how to get football fans to watch rugby league, by patronising them!!

If I was watching rugby league for the first time last night I'd have switched off well before the end. The commentators are just appalling and the way they seemed to be addressing these hypothetical football fans and almost begging them to keep watching just made my skin crawl.

It could have been a fantastic opportunity to showcase the very best of the sport to a wider audience yet the most obvious thing being showcased were the imbeciles behind the microphones.
not just me who thinks that cherry pie. agree with everything you said. i think they went over top with the players entering the pitch and having national anthem like it was a final.
IN WANE WE TRUST
markill

Post by markill »

The best way to view its success is to see the viewing figures and also to see what the drop off is when the next game isn't between two of the headline teams. Also, comparing the Monday night audiences to the Saturday evening ones. This can't really be decided until after the run of Monday games is complete.

If the viewing figures are good, the RFL could push for more money in future TV deals which would make it a success. If the coverage to a potentially new audience results in even one extra person buying a season ticket for any club than would have before (providing no one is odd enought to cancel a whole season ticket just because of a game moving to a Monday) then this would also make it a success for me.

The idiot that is Eddie Hemmings shouldn't be a factor in whether it was successful. Who knows, maybe fans of other sports don't realise how much of a massive irritating clown shoe this bloke is.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Well, the SKY Sports set up has a massive void now the football season has ended and look who they asked to fill a schedueling gap? They big it up as a big thing when it's not in reality just a polly filler.

Makes no difference just the same as a friday match for me with a different label.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Couldnt believe my ears when phil clarke said " thats the first bit of quality centre play i have seen goulding do this year "

In response to his flick offload for charnleys first try.

It was something along those lines, but has he even watched wigan because gouldings been doing it week in week out.

tit
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote:Any one completely new to the sport would be confused because I felt they didn't explain any rules of the game whilst play was proceeding.

Spot on that Josie. For commentary to a new audience, listen to Wigan v Warrington in Milwaukee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqob6JGxGw
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote:

Spot on that Josie. For commentary to a new audience, listen to Wigan v Warrington in Milwaukee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmqob6JGxGw
Haha, John Holdsworth, what was he like?? Can you see the referee getting away with that these days :lol: :lol: