Bradford Bulls centre Adrian Purtell hospitalised

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Bradford Bulls centre Adrian Purtell hospitalised

Post by josie andrews »

Bradford Bulls centre Adrian Purtell was kept in hospital overnight on Sunday after being taken ill on the coach after the defeat by Leeds.

The 27-year-old began to feel unwell on the journey back from the derby clash and the club doctor fitted a drip.

Football manager Stuart Duffy said: "Adrian's condition was giving cause for concern and the club doctor advised he should be taken to hospital.

"Our thoughts are with the player at this time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18234922
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Bradford Bulls centre Adrian Purtell hospitalised

Post by josie andrews »

Let's hope it was just heat exhaustion & nothing too serious. I hope he makes a speedy recovery :)
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Thanks for the info Josie. Was wondering why #getwellsoonadrianpurtell was trending on Twitter!
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Saw on facebook that he had a heart attack josie.

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:Thanks for the info Josie. Was wondering why #getwellsoonadrianpurtell was trending on Twitter!
Heard it's a heart attack :(

Get well soon Adrian x
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:
Heard it's a heart attack :(

Get well soon Adrian x
This is happening a bit too much for my liking! :o
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

Being a fat old git like me is beginning to look like the healthy option
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bulls keep close eye on Purtell recovery

Bradford Bulls are closely monitoring centre Adrian Purtell after he suffered a second health scare in five years.

Fran Purtell told Australian newspaper The Border Mail that her son suffered a heart attack just hours after playing for the Bulls in their derby defeat by Leeds Rhinos which was played in sweltering conditions at Manchester’s Etihad Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The 27-year-old Purtell, who fell ill on the team bus on the way back from Manchester, was taken to Leeds General Infirmary, where he will spend the rest of the week recovering.

Bradford coach Mick Potter visited the player in hospital yesterday.

Purtell is in his first season in Stobart Super League, having joined the Bulls on a three-year deal from Penrith Panthers last November.

Bradford football manager Stuart Duffy said the Bulls were unable to confirm the exact nature of Purtell’s illness due to patient confidentiality but the player’s mother said her son had suffered a heart attack.

“He had a blockage to one of the main arteries to the heart but he’s OK,” she told The Border Mail before boarding a flight to Manchester to be at his bedside.

“He’s in Leeds hospital and is in good care. It was very frightening this morning for everyone.”

Purtell, who started his professional career at Canberra in 2006, missed a large chunk of the following season due to deep vein thrombosis after a blood clot was found in his lungs and his mother said he had been feeling unwell for some time.

“He knew something was wrong,” she added. “He said he had a sore chest a few weeks ago and was keeping an eye on it. He knew that something was amiss.

“It was hurting on the bus like it had been. The news for now is that he’s OK. His heart didn’t stop beating at that stage.”

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/25 ... ose-eye-on
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Purtell has heart surgery

Bradford Bulls have confirmed that former Penrith Panthers centre Adrian Purtell had heart surgery after the club's latest match.

Purtell, who joined the English Super League club from the Panthers last year, told Bradford's staff he felt unwell while travelling back after a 37-22 defeat away to Leeds.

The Bulls' team bus made a detour to a Leeds hospital and the 27-year-old Australian was admitted immediately for surgery.

"Adrian had an immediate primary angioplasty to remove the blockage in his artery," Bradford official Stuart Duffy said.

"But both the club and the player wish to point out that at no time did he suffer a cardiac arrest."

Purtell remains in hospital and will be monitored for a couple of days before he is allowed to go home.

"His heart did not stop beating and he was conscious throughout the journey to hospital," Duffy said.

"Adrian is feeling much better today but will remain in hospital for the next few days for further tests."

The Albury-born centre was keen to thank those who had sent messages during his heart scare.

"I have read all the messages and would like to thank everyone for their concern," Purtell said.

"The response from the Rugby League community has been overwhelming and I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts."

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-d ... ery-179206
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

POTTER: PLAYERS NEEDED MORE WATER

Bradford coach Mick Potter believes dehydration may have been partly to blame for Adrian Purtell's heart attack.
Purtell was released from Leeds General Infirmary on Wednesday, where he spent three days undergoing surgery for a blocked artery after being taken ill on the way home from Sunday's Stobart Super League derby with Leeds.

The match was played in soaring temperatures at Manchester's Etihad Stadium and Potter has revealed his concerns his players received an inadequate supply of water during play. He said: "No I wasn't happy. I think they needed more water."

He added: "I think the other team showed the way. They just rested on the ground and waited for some people to come out to get water to them. Probably in hindsight that was the way to go.

"I think all the officials were hydrated up on the sideline enough. The people out there performing in those conditions I don't think were getting enough."

Potter revealed that some of his players vomited after the match, while Purtell complained of a pain in his chest before leaving the ground which got worse on the team bus back to Yorkshire. The driver pulled over to the side of the motorway to enable the medical staff to administer oxygen and Purtell was later admitted to hospital.

The club are still waiting for the full results of tests, but Potter believes dehydration had a debilitating effect on the player.

"I think it was one of the factors," he said. "It probably wasn't the primary reason. I'm not a medical person, but you're putting yourself in the extremes of testing your body out.

"Some people vomitted, some might have needed a drip, some people just needed a drink of electrolyte or more water. It affects different people different ways. For Adrian it was a pretty bad outcome. In those extreme conditions you need to keep your fluid intake regular and it's hard to do."

Purtell, 27, who is in his first season in Super League after joining Bradford from Penrith Panthers, spent three days in coronary care but was well enough to be allowed home on Wednesday. Bradford say it will be at least two months before Purtell knows if he will be able to play again.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/323467?