Wigan Observer A new 6

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Wigan Observer A new 6

Post by butt monkey »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
exile in Tiger country wrote: Chase IS NOT AVAILABLE!! That is why compensation figures of £350K are being bandied about. If we are shelling that out, maybe it's time for Mr Lenegan to put his hand a bit deeper and get Cronk or Cam Smith on a plane to Manchester airport.
Of course he isn't available.

What might be happening though is that the players head has been "turned" (similarly to what happened with Joel T) by the opportunity to play for a bigger/better club for possibly more money (hence the contract he signed for them is useless - as everyone always keeps saying)

The player was reputed to have been at loggerheads with Ian Millward during the close season (can't be bothered to find the thread for that) and now with the rumour of Wigan's interest he has been quoted as saying he would like to at least "talk" to the club over a possible move

Transfer money is inconsequential as it doesn't count on the salary cap, he now qualifies via residency for England so will not need a new work permit and could be available as Castleford have recently seen a number of their players move on (mainly to Hull :roll: )
Gleeson, 28, will cost Wigan £100,000 plus full-back Richie Mathers, who is heading to the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Well said BM!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Kittwazzer wrote:I think my aversion to Chase is largely the alleged £350,000 fee and the alleged 'megabucks' we will be paying him.

Then it occurs to me that this is IFL we are talking about. I cannot believe he would entertain these figures!
Me too, it's that what I am mostly against as well if I stop & think about.

I suppose the initial reaction from most of us was a bit extreme.

But if he does sign for us, well, I will support him as a member of the Wigan club as long as he gives 100%.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

butt monkey wrote:
butt monkey wrote: Of course he isn't available.

What might be happening though is that the players head has been "turned" (similarly to what happened with Joel T) by the opportunity to play for a bigger/better club for possibly more money (hence the contract he signed for them is useless - as everyone always keeps saying)

The player was reputed to have been at loggerheads with Ian Millward during the close season (can't be bothered to find the thread for that) and now with the rumour of Wigan's interest he has been quoted as saying he would like to at least "talk" to the club over a possible move

Transfer money is inconsequential as it doesn't count on the salary cap, he now qualifies via residency for England so will not need a new work permit and could be available as Castleford have recently seen a number of their players move on (mainly to Hull :roll: )
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

wasnt the oppsite said about Trent Barrett???
moffsta

Post by moffsta »

Ranging Chase won MoS because players didn't want Sam to win, Saints voted Chase in spite of Sam and we voted Chase in spite of Roby.

If it was Critics choice Sam would have won the accolade, At Chases age if he was all that he'd be back in the NRL bigger cap better level of rugby but he's not, Chases agent would have knocked on every NRL clubs door but the fact of the matter is he's in SL earning a wage at a mediocre club.

Fair play to him he's making a good living and fair play to him if we do come knocking if I was him I'd say yes and if we do sign him I'll support him and give him a chance BUT ill say it again he's not good enough and I don't want him at Wigan.

sorry was meant to post this with my reply

Wasnt the opposite said about Trent Barrett??
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

josie andrews wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:I think my aversion to Chase is largely the alleged £350,000 fee and the alleged 'megabucks' we will be paying him.

Then it occurs to me that this is IFL we are talking about. I cannot believe he would entertain these figures!
Me too, it's that what I am mostly against as well if I stop & think about.

I suppose the initial reaction from most of us was a bit extreme.

But if he does sign for us, well, I will support him as a member of the Wigan club as long as he gives 100%.
At last we've come to our senses,let's let nature take it's course
:wink:
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

29wes28 wrote:
pieater-alex wrote:
29wes28 wrote:Ranging Chase won MoS because players didn't want Sam to win, Saints voted Chase in spite of Sam and we voted Chase in spite of Roby.
I'm sorry but this is just bitter nonsense.

Speculation about who voted for who in the MOS running is just schoolyard gossip. Yes, Sam Tomkins IMO deserved the award over Rangi Chase but feck me I'm not going to hold it against Chase if he does sign for Wigan. What I will say is that Chase may not have deserved the award over Sam in my eyes BUT he certainly deserved to be in the top three alongside Sam & Roby.
If it was Critics choice Sam would have won the accolade, At Chases age if he was all that he'd be back in the NRL bigger cap better level of rugby but he's not, Chases agent would have knocked on every NRL clubs door but the fact of the matter is he's in SL earning a wage at a mediocre club.
So this is the benchmark we'll rate halfbacks on shall we? Whether the NRL come knocking for them. Well that rules out every single halfback in the league except for Finch/leuluai as no other halfbacks have been chased to the NRL.

Since when has what club a player plays for had any bearing on how talented they are? Jonathan Thurston played in the NRL side that finished bottom of the NRL in the same year we won the Grand Final - by your logic he's at a mediocre club earning a good wage. Jarryd Hayne is playing for the Eels who are at the bottom of the league.

Hell there was a time when no-one would touch Finch with a bargepole after he was sacked at the Eels and the Storm handed him a lifeline.

HELL when we signed Thomas Leuluai he was at a struggling Harlequins side earning a decent wage with the NRL not knocking on his door - that make him not good enough too?

Fair play to him he's making a good living and fair play to him if we do come knocking if I was him I'd say yes and if we do sign him I'll support him and give him a chance BUT ill say it again he's not good enough and I don't want him at Wigan.
Why don't you want him at Wigan? Because he won MOS instead of Sam Tomkins? Because the NRL haven't come knocking for him? Because he plays at Castleford?

What rational reason based on his rugby league ability have you seen that makes Rangi Chase not good enough for Wigan? And then after answering this, please could you offer some viable alternate halfbacks who are good enough for Wigan who we could sign.
Rangi is very poor in defence, he has no long kicking game his pass selection is very poor and he is very much all for himself.

He constantly runs across the line not at it flapping his right arm backwards to offer a drop off or passes the ball 1 out or dies with it.

That's all he has he is a 1 trick pony admittedly however he does have a very good short kicking game.

Now you may think all rugby players are grown ups and act all prim and proper well there not and they don't. Saints voted Chase so did Leeds and so did we the rest of the league was split.

It is however only my opinion yours can be entirely different
Crikey, on that basis he would be lucky to get a game for St Pats seconds never mind England!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

butt monkey wrote:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

butt monkey wrote:
butt monkey wrote:
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09