Not A Great Win

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Re: Not A Great Win

Post by Wes »

I agree entirely Kiwi I think we where sloppy and without injuries that wouldn't be the case but IMO Lockers should be at 13, last night and the next 2 wk are perfect opportunities to bed Mellor or another youngster in before Leeds.

IMO we lacked spark last night the usual creativity wasn't at its best but a wins a win I suppose.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

There is no doubt that for Widnes this was an emotional and highly targeted game. That they won in March was no fluke; we weren't good enough then and they rose to the occasion. And they raised their game last night and stopped us playing as fluently as we'd have liked. The week off for the exiles match did us no favours either, both by loss of momentum and loss of Lulu.

But we put 50 points past them, and they managed to outscore Leeds when we played at Headingly. So well done Widnes.

It speaks volumes for our expectations and form that SW could be so upset by a good win and scoring 10 tries to 2! But of course as your teacher would write on your end of term report - "could do better".
Stevethegas
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Personally I felt we made life more difficult for ourselves than it shoud have been. Commentators talked about the impact of missing Tommy but by not replacing like for like we lost 2 key players Tomy and Lockers. Lockers is better at 13, keep him there.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I agree regarding Mellor Cherry, I don't think he will be here next year either.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

The players also had a week off after the Exiles game. Waney said so himself and Josh, Sam and Hock all posted pictures on Twitter of them in Spain (I think). I think we'll see a more ruthless defence and clinical attack on Friday.
I was speaking to one of the itv journalists last night and we were both saying it was a frustrating game to watch, from a fans perspective. The team hasn't played together for a couple of weeks and with the week off, would naturally be a little rusty.
Despite the performance, I was satisfied that we still put over 50pts on Widnes. If we'd played to our potential it could have been closer to 80.

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Lockers is an outstanding 13 but never a 6.Playing your best players out of position is never the way to go.Mellor is playing in a poor side so it is difficult to assess him but he has not impressed me yet.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I was not overly impressed with last nights game though a win is a win and the more points we post against whatever the opposition it all helps with keeping the wire at bay.Agreed with most comments regarding Lockers though he's adaptable and a reasonable stand in he's never going to make the transition on a regular basis.Mellor just is not (sadly)the answer to our immediate problem.We must look to the future.And that future I am lead to believe is Williams.But as of yet untried at super league level.He may well make the step up in the coming seasons but I for one would like the club to continue looking for the next two seasoned halves.We have a good tutor in Paul Deacon but we need a playing tutor to bring on our youth.As I've said earlier in my post this was not an impressive win but it was the win we required to continue with the winning streak we have come to expect.Did we want another repeat of a loss to the Vikings or will we make do with the points.I personally will take the points regardless of the performance.I must say that I am impressed with young Rhodri LLoydan who I can see going from strength to strength. :D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

29wes28 wrote:Tonight has probably just papered over the cracks really as to who we should have at 7. Lockers IMO is the best 13 in the world and we lose a lot when he doesnt play there. He can play at 6 but not very well IMO, tonight we really lacked a 7 and looked both flat and slow in attack at times.

Mellor was there go to man and looked dangerous when he was involbed on the few times widnes where on the front foot.

What is wrong with Carmont? The amount if times he had the ball and come inside or died with it was frightening! Gelling should have had multiple good running opportunities but didnt due to George sticking hold, Gelling is dangerous from a standing start but could be unstoppable in the end of the right pass running at speed.

Sam looks like hes carrying an injury IMO, Preccy had an excellent game as did Moose, Luaki also went about his business very well and Lloyd is looking very promising!
I dont agree about your comments regarding George Carmont.
What was more worrying was the breaks/half breaks that George made and there was no-one backing him up.
He split the defence a couple of times and there was nobody making the ground to take a pass from him.
Like any good centre/winger he also does his fare share taking the ball in to rest the forwards.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
29wes28 wrote:Tonight has probably just papered over the cracks really as to who we should have at 7. Lockers IMO is the best 13 in the world and we lose a lot when he doesnt play there. He can play at 6 but not very well IMO, tonight we really lacked a 7 and looked both flat and slow in attack at times.

Mellor was there go to man and looked dangerous when he was involbed on the few times widnes where on the front foot.

What is wrong with Carmont? The amount if times he had the ball and come inside or died with it was frightening! Gelling should have had multiple good running opportunities but didnt due to George sticking hold, Gelling is dangerous from a standing start but could be unstoppable in the end of the right pass running at speed.

Sam looks like hes carrying an injury IMO, Preccy had an excellent game as did Moose, Luaki also went about his business very well and Lloyd is looking very promising!
I dont agree about your comments regarding George Carmont.
What was more worrying was the breaks/half breaks that George made and there was no-one backing him up.
He split the defence a couple of times and there was nobody making the ground to take a pass from him.
Like any good centre/winger he also does his fare share taking the ball in to rest the forwards.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

First time of posting (always had trouble getting registerd before ) Born in the south and still living there but my wife & I are dedicated Wigan supporters.

It was a scruffy performance last night but hey...... 54-12 still cuts it.
I hope that the management try to move heaven and earth to get George to play another year. The spin out for his try yesterday was top-drawer and he seems to be as quick at the moment as he ever was.

I'll look forward to seeing him at The Stoop soon.

This is turning out to be a grest season & we hope to be at Wembley again. To be directly behind Joel as he started THAT run for THAT try was quite wonderful.