Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganers in Oz

Re: Gelling out, Thornley in.

Post by Wiganers in Oz »

Sorry Jim,

Ive been reading the posts and can't understand how you feel that Gelling is a good winger. I don't get to see all the games but from the games I have seen these are my observations.

1. He never comes back on the inside when pushed to the touchline.

2. He drops the simplest of balls when in good try scoring positions.

3. He dosent appear comfortable on the ball at all ( maybe playing reserves then into a world class team is to much of a jump for him at the moment )

Now in a few years he may well be a good player but at the moment its not his concentration thats knocked its probably his confidence in his own ability.

I would have Rocket Ronnie back anyday LOL
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

highland convert wrote:Look at the title of this thread. Another thread to get Gelling dropped. Must do wonders for his concentration?
Do you really think players give a damn what people write about their rugby skills on the internet? Shaun Edwards always argued the opinion of anybody but a professional RL players / of international class amateur was worthless.

Thornley had a good debut did he not?
wiganwarriordave

Post by wiganwarriordave »

Good god there are some serious handbag swingers on this forum! I agree and disagree with parts of everyones opinions, but for what it's worth, here's my tu'pence...

As stated by Jim, Carmont is the tradesman, Gelling is the apprentice. I agree, that the service from Carmont to his winger has been patchy at best, but is this Gelling's positioning, sometimes, yes. Is it also Carmont being wary of the passes he chooses to send so as not to get Gelling bundled into touch with every ball received? Almost certainly IMO. How many times did we see George send hospital passes to Pat with Pat's only option to cut straight back on the inside or risk the same fate, thus forced to drop to ground making zero extra yardage? Is George purely eliminating risk in the way the pair are playing?

I think the key thing to also remember is that these 2 have also played less than a season together, and simply just haven't "clicked" yet (When was AG's 1st team debut anyone?). Someone previously mentioned chemistry. Look at how Ryan Hall has been quieter this season without Senior inside him, and conversely, how Josh/Daz have been electric.

One things certain, Gelling has the one thing that cant be taught for RL, which is the physical attributes. The guy is a unit, and he's got the attitude and determination i want to see in a Wigan player. He plugs away all game, is above average in the air, returns the ball with ferocity, and has stood up well in defense (apart from the odd positional issue, but then that happens on the opposite wing too, and can often just be attributed to fatigue, and attacking effectiveness of the opposing team, it doesn't matter how well you're positioned if you've been overlapped.)

My closing gambit is that we shouldn't be "bashing" any players period. Be them loyal long standing servants, new boys still learning their trade or other. Gelling has the potential to be a successful long term Wigan player, and he's got my support. George is and always will be a ledge, although, how all his limbs are still connected, I'll never know, I'm sure under his shirt he's held together with gaffer tape. He'll remain one of the best "understated" signings we ever made and has been a key force in attack and defense. One things for sure, if anyone can teach Gelling, it's him.

And lastly, if Wane chooses to keep as is, then i cant argue. He's a SL first team coach 3 points clear at the top of the league while missing bags full of first team players. I am not.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

WWD can you give examples where Carmonts service to Gelling has been patchy v Wakey?

How do you and other fans compare Gelling to Pryce?
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Your link freezes after 1.28 so all I see is gelling where he should be, sorry, jim. Mind you five minutes won't tell us much, will it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

highland convert wrote:Your link freezes after 1.28 so all I see is gelling where he should be, sorry, jim. Mind you five minutes won't tell us much, will it.
It works Jim, it is from the club website.

Gelling taking no position / doing nothing for Wakeyss first try. Carmont looking for his winger on two occasions and Gelling too far away.

Jim, you watch 5 minutes at best quite regularly

If you had gone to Wakey; Carmont put Gelling away with the score at 0-0; Gelling was caught from behind.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Obviously, I've not seen enough of Thornley to know if he's the real deal but he looked convincing against Wakefield for a first match back.
Gelling's big plus is his strength near the line - he's likely to score if he gets any chance to force the ball down.
The big minus seems to be that he loses concentration in matches. Wakefield's first try was a basic error that saw him in No Man's Land and his dropping the ball and being forced into touch because he's not balanced when he gets the ball is a recurring problem. More worryingly, he doesn't seem to be learning. He looks the same player as when he first came into the team.
I'd reckon his future is more in the centre than on the wing and perhaps Waney's looking at him to replace Geoorge, although I still fervently hope George will commit to another season.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

I didn't go the game as I was on a stag do.

Under the circumstances Gelling has done very well IMO and by circumstances I mean...

Only playing part time rugby 12 months ago
Moving from another country
Not playing in a position he's played before
Playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world
Still a 'young un'

He's had a lot to learn and not a lot of time to learn it in. Gelling will become a good second row/centre in the future but it's all about minutes for him at the minute. What I do like about him though is his work rate, it's been excellent and althought he's made plenty of mistakes he never goes hiding. Usually clocks up more than 20 carries a match and 150 plus meters. IMO he'll make a career at wigan rl, will it be on the wing? very much doubt it, but he's doing an adequate job under the circumstances at the moment.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

cpwigan wrote:WWD can you give examples where Carmonts service to Gelling has been patchy v Wakey?

Mmmmmmmm, good question. Year one Pat send him home Richards, centre, Carmont, Karl, not worth the Pryce, centre, Carmont, Antony butterfingers Gelling, centre, Carmont. I see your point. It took Pat,MOS and top try scorer a year to click so there is a common denominator. Good point CP thanks.
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

highland convert wrote:
cpwigan wrote:WWD can you give examples where Carmonts service to Gelling has been patchy v Wakey?

Mmmmmmmm, good question. Year one Pat send him home Richards, centre, Carmont, Karl, not worth the Pryce, centre, Carmont, Antony butterfingers Gelling, centre, Carmont. I see your point. It took Pat,MOS and top try scorer a year to click so there is a common denominator. Good point CP thanks.
Carmont wasn't here for Pat Richards first year, if you are going troll at least get your facts right....
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?