Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wiganwarriordave

Re: Gelling out, Thornley in.

Post by wiganwarriordave »

AdamMac wrote:I didn't go the game as I was on a stag do.

Under the circumstances Gelling has done very well IMO and by circumstances I mean...

Only playing part time rugby 12 months ago
Moving from another country
Not playing in a position he's played before
Playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world
Still a 'young un'

He's had a lot to learn and not a lot of time to learn it in. Gelling will become a good second row/centre in the future but it's all about minutes for him at the minute. What I do like about him though is his work rate, it's been excellent and althought he's made plenty of mistakes he never goes hiding. Usually clocks up more than 20 carries a match and 150 plus meters. IMO he'll make a career at wigan rl, will it be on the wing? very much doubt it, but he's doing an adequate job under the circumstances at the moment.
Fully agree Adam.
cpwigan wrote:WWD can you give examples where Carmonts service to Gelling has been patchy v Wakey?

How do you and other fans compare Gelling to Pryce?
CP, cant give an example vs Wakey, as i wasn't there, and have only seen the highlights. I'm defining "patchy" though as George's reluctance to send the pass should there be any risk of it being something hospital like. And by that i mean, as soon as AG receives it, he's a marked man and being in danger of getting bundled into touch. It would appear that instead of GC losing confidence in AG as some are suggesting, maybe he's just playing the safer card and not sending the risky pass in the first place, especially if there is little or no yardage to be gained from it.

How many times did we see AG put in touch earlier this season?

And how many times can you honestly say it was his own fault?

I'm not criticizing/praising either/or, I'm just trying to offer insights.

RE: Pryce. As above, AG has a good work rate, and looks like he wants to be on the field, KP never did IMO. KP had the physical specs to be a good player, but... The amount of times he was given the ball and casually jogged on with it was infuriating. AG looks a lot more agile, he's got a good step, and fitness wise, plays a full 80 without an issue (KP always looked jaded after any period of involvement). I'd place AG firmly in-front. Again, I'm not saying he's the finished article, but IMO he's got the mindset to get there.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

highland convert wrote:
cpwigan wrote:WWD can you give examples where Carmonts service to Gelling has been patchy v Wakey?

How do you and other fans compare Gelling to Pryce?
Mmmmmmmm, good question. Year one Pat send him home Richards, centre, Carmont, Karl, not worth the Pryce, centre, Carmont, Antony butterfingers Gelling, centre, Carmont. I see your point. It took Pat,MOS and top try scorer a year to click so there is a common denominator. Good point CP thanks.
1). Incorrect Jim. Pat was played at centre by Millward. It did not work, he went back to the wing and was fantastic alongside George.

2). Pryce, given chances sometimes left, sometime right, scored plenty of tries alongside George.

CONCLUSION; Jim talking out of his arse digging a hole deeper and deeper. Whatsmore, you said oh not blaming George BUT now you are blaming George (Common denominator) You are either confused or lying Jim.

P.S Jim I do not care what you have done in your life I can argue like an olympic gold medalist :wink: particularly when somebody argues their POV with gigantic holes in their view.

Wip the egg off your face Jim are you ready for more ? :wink:
El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

I like Gelling, he is a player with plenty of potential. But he is not a winger. He is not fast enough, he positions himself poorly and he has shown to panic when he manages to get near to a break away or get near the try line.

Why, when Charnley returns, would you not give Thornley a chance?

Does it matter that Gelling was playing part time or has only just moved here if Thornley is a better player and in better form?

Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

To be really ruthless - any time a winger is bundled into touch - it's his fault. Good wingers get a ball near the line and if there's no clear road down that line will transfer their weight to the inside foot and look to dip the shoulder, so if they do get tackled - they will stay in the field of play.
It's about decision-making as well as skill and experience. It can be learnt - Josh this season is a totally different player, particularly in defence but also in attack. Maybe Gelling needs a close season to learn these skills.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Southern Softy wrote:To be really ruthless - any time a winger is bundled into touch - it's his fault. Good wingers get a ball near the line and if there's no clear road down that line will transfer their weight to the inside foot and look to dip the shoulder, so if they do get tackled - they will stay in the field of play.
It's about decision-making as well as skill and experience. It can be learnt - Josh this season is a totally different player, particularly in defence but also in attack. Maybe Gelling needs a close season to learn these skills.
Think that is ruthless and naive tbh.
Winger can be bundled into touch due to a bad pass combined with good defence, you can transfer your weight and dip your shoulder if you have time and even then a good 2 man tackle can still bundle a winger out no fault of his own.
KaylaRobbo

Post by KaylaRobbo »

I'm not technical, I'm female and I didn't go to Wakefield - I listened on the radio. (Guess that ranks me as the least qualified to comment ha ha)
However, even I know that I panicked every time Gelling got the ball. He has this tendency to rely on 'one-handing' the ball and even though he seems to consistently get shoved into touch he still veers to the line. Whenever I'm at the game I find myself putting my hands over my eyes and peeping through my fingers whenever he gets the ball.
That said - someone who does work for Wigan for a living found something in him that was worth dragging him here and paying him. I think I can see some of that Wigan sparkle - it just needs more practise and moving towards the middle of play like a lot of people have said.
C'mon guys - lets put our handbags away - and maybe start 'gel'-ing with Gelling (as long as he stays away from the wing that is......

:o :o :o :roll:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Several posters have remarked on Gellings size. I have never seen the official statistics but would suggest that Thornley is at least as big if not a little bigger, when he was coming up the field after his second try and Mossop was congratulating him, from the other side of the pitch he looked bigger than Mossop and that has got to be SCARY
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think posters need to realise what is happening regarding this topic, nobody is slating or criticising Gelling, only suggesting that he has alot of room for improvement but also agree he has done a great fill in job in Pats absence. One poster (maybe a troll) suggested that Carmont was clearly to blame for Gellings poor play and decisions and without evidence suggested that Carmont has had bad partnerships with many wingers in the past. This is not a case of 'handbags' but clearly knowledgeable RL fans/posters correcting or giving their opinion on the topic. Surely that is what a forum is all about? No?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Should be TBW but it is not. It is the CP roadshow. Find a target and trash it. I, if you are referring to me as the troll, never blamed all of it on Carmont. But not all of it is Gelling. No matter how professional a player constant criticism destroys confidence. That is the first rule in teaching and CP is a teacher? I have watched player after player being targeted on this site, justified or not it does not really matter. Position does not matter, coach to water carrier, ( yes Pryce got criticised as the water carrier ) when the pack gathers on a player he has an uphill struggle. It is cowardly bullying not in the interest of Wigan Warriors. 90% of it is Chinese whispers. The story gets a new twist every time of telling. 20 dropped balls?http://www.empowermentresources.com/inf ... rsion.html
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Yes Jim the reference to a Troll was about you and after looking at your previous posts it seems a pattern has developed where you seem to 'go against the grain' or 'throw a spanner in the works' quite frequently. The bottom line is you are entitled to do that and of course you can voice your opinion, again it is a forum, but you also have to be aware that people will vent their opinions 'strongly' and with evidence to back it up. Ok, CP might from time to time be abrupt and straight to the point but more often than not he is correct or later proven correct and if he is not then he will/should hold his hand up. I usually give a balanced opinion and I always expect a backlash because that is the nature of a forum, in your case and again only being totally honest you must constantly wear a 'Tin Hat' because some of your views as I have already said in my opinion are ridiculousy. However Jim, that is the beauty of a forum, if everyone agreed it would be very boring. Finally, I also have a wealth of teaching experience and criticism can destroy confidence you are 100% correct, but constructive criticism from the right people in the right manner is a major tool in improving everyone from a child at school to a RL professional. I don't think what is said on here will have much effect on AG's performances, but how SW and IH handle him, criticise him, coach him, improve him will do, and I am sure AG learns everyday.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett