Gelling / Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Gelling out, Thornley in.

Post by josie andrews »

Mike588 wrote:
Mike588 wrote:Pretty new to the site. Posted ages ago and then thought I'd start again.

Firstly, Gelling is raw. There is no other way to describe him. He has potential and a good athletic build but he's no Izzy Folau and I'm sorry but there is a reason why he didn't make the grade in the NRL/wasn't re-signed.

I don't think anyone could doubt the impact of George or the service that he's provided the club BUT I don't necessarily subscribe to the view that his service (passing) is faultless. GC is a great athlete, always has been and he's a very dependable centre who has been consistently good for Wigan but in terms of skills he's not in the same league as Lyon and Gidley (just two import C's that spring to mind).

Not seen enough of Thornley to comment but I'd much rather him be playing regularly for Wigan because he's a Brit and potentially he could play for GB in the future.
England of course. Just wish it was still GB
So do I :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

cpwigan wrote:Jim;

1). You watch a small % of Wigan games

2). You have very limited understanding of RL

Gelling is a centre / second rower doing his best as a winger. As a winger he is very poor.
i said this to a pal at bulls game . Gelling is a centre to me . His most obvious weakness on the wing is he doesn't know when to cut in off the line behind his centre .
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

waterside glens wrote:quote="cpwigan"]Jim;

Gelling is a centre / second rower doing his best as a winger.
[/quote]

I would say this was made clear to SW before Gelling arrived,by Dean Bell.Due you not think this topic has now run its course?
dave_highfive1

Gelling no good?

Post by dave_highfive1 »

Iv watched just about all the games this season and it is apparent that Gelling is absolutely useless on the wing.

Why is Shaun Wane still playing him there? We have lost god knows how many tries this season because of him.

When I have seen Gelling on the inside from second row, he has progressed with more confidence and made more yardage. On the wing he hasn't got a clue what to do.

Seems reminiscent of Joel Tomkins playing centre last year. Absolutely useless!!!

What do you think?
thegimble

Re: Gelling no good?

Post by thegimble »

He is not a great player but today he was not even in the top 3 of worst players on the pitch.

Sam
Charnley though obviously injured
Finch
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm afraid everything we all feared came to pass. Directly responsible for 2 Leeds tries and no real idea of positional play. All summed up at the end when Hock desperately burst to the wing on the last tackle looking for a break - Gelling was never in a position to take a pass.

Give him a break and get someone to decide on his final position in the team and teach him the basics of wing/centre play.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Never confident with Gelling on the wing but I'm not singling anyone out today. We just weren't good enough. Early errors gave em too much of a lead and they never looked back. Can't take anything away from Leeds. They wanted it more than we did!
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Kittwazzer wrote:Never confident with Gelling on the wing but I'm not singling anyone out today. We just weren't good enough. Early errors gave em too much of a lead and they never looked back. Can't take anything away from Leeds. They wanted it more than we did!
Cant say anything different than that, spot on
cow yeds

Re: Gelling / Thornley

Post by cow yeds »

I've never called Gelling cos I believe in giving a guy a chance, but I am rapidly loosing faith. He plays like an amateur, will he get better? I doubt it.
El Bobbers

Re: Gelling / Thornley

Post by El Bobbers »

I would give Thornley a chance but not because Gelling was particularly bad today, it's unfair to single him out today as he didn't make so many mistakes. I jst think he hasn't proven to be a good winger. Also, im not sure how Josh can be named as one of the 3 worst players on the pitch thats just ridiculous.

I was thinkning that during the videos refs review of Charnleys try saving tackle he was looking to see if he could give hall out in touch before the ball was touched down so that he would only give a scrum close to wigans line rather than a penalty which would be cleared up the line. I'm not one for conspiracy theories but today made me reconsider.

Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?