Wane Names Squad for Big One Clash

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ron Doran

Re: Wane Names Squad for Big One Clash

Post by Ron Doran »

Kittwazzer Thanks for that info, but not much wiser. Have we had 1,2 and 3 or were they in previous seasons?
And I have just realised that your name could be for a 'Kitt Greener'. ah fond memories.
E.& O.E.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ron Doran wrote:Josie - please excuse my ignorance,but what does it mean? ' Big One 4'
KW has answered your question :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ron Doran wrote:Kittwazzer Thanks for that info, but not much wiser. Have we had 1,2 and 3 or were they in previous seasons?
And I have just realised that your name could be for a 'Kitt Greener'. ah fond memories.
Big One 1 was v Leeds - won

Big One 2 was v Warrington - lost

Big one 3 was v Huddersfield - won

Hope that answers your question :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the idea that maguire can spot who will/would make the best full back is a bit overrated. I dont think Madge thought Sam tomkins would make a brilliant full back, in the same way i dont think he really think Greg Inglis is a full back in hiding, i think the formula is simple.

Who is our best attacker?, right their the full back to give them most room to work.

You cant argue with the results either
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Is Trotski back here in a panic yet? :lol: :lol: :conf: :o :sly:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

jobo wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
jobo wrote:Agree about Powell getting a good try out but Tomkins was moved to fullback following the injury to Amos Roberts, who was playing out of his skin at the time. Don't see why at some stage, Tomkins can't do a Lockyer and switch between stand off and fullback. Two for the price of one then plus he keeps his skills set up to scratch.
It wasn't the injury to Roberts that moved Tomkins to fullback necessarily, it was the return to fitness of Paul Deacon which allowed Tomkins to move away from the halves. Until that point it was Phelps and then Richards who played fullback but Tomkins pretty much made the position his own with his performances there.

There's obviously no reason why Tomkins can't move back to stand off and it might be worth doing but on this occasion I can't see it being the case. It's already been confirmed that Tomkins will be playing fullback next year which is no surprise, so for this game it's sensible for Wane to get a look at how Powell does.

As for Lockyer, when he established himself as a regular first team player he had 7 straight years playing solely as a fullback before moving to stand off, where he played out the rest of his career without ever returning to fullback.
Lockyer never switched between the two positions regularly or in between seasons, he became established at fullback and then at stand off.

I'm sure other players have switched between positions but at the moment that isn't something that we need to do. Sam's an excellent fullback but still has plenty of room for improvement so he's still got plenty to learn in the role.

Think Lockyer started as stand off or 5/8th, switching to centre then fullback and back to 5/8th again. He won the Golden Boot as a 5/8th and as a fullback. His preferred position though was at stand off. The switching came about because the broncos went through several stand offs and Bennett made the move against loads of opposition.
Something I read somewhere a while ago was that Bennett always liked to play his fastest player as a fullback.
Obviously more to playing full back than just speed, but this is a comment I rember Bennett making.
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

highland convert wrote:Is Trotski back here in a panic yet? :lol: :lol: :conf: :o :sly:
Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane has today named his 19 man squad for Friday's Big One 4 fixture at the DW Stadium against Hull FC, 8pm kick off

As expected Darrell Goulding, Brett Finch, Sean O'Loughlin and Ben Flower all miss out through injury so young half Sam Powell is included in the 19 and is set to make his first team debut. Sam Tomkins is expected to captain the side in the absence of O'Loughlin and Finch.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad (In squad number order)

Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, George Carmont, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock, Jeff Lima, Liam Farrell, Chris Tuson, Epalahame Lauaki, Anthony Gelling, Jack Hughes, Logan Tomkins, Sam Powell, Tom Spencer, Dom Crosby, Iain Thornley, Matty Smith

Change to squad on Thursday - In Sean O'Loughlin, Jack Murphy, Rhodri Lloyd

Out - Anthony Gelling, Tom Spencer, Logan Tomkins

Hull FC 19 Man Squad

Aspinwall, T Briscoe, Foster, Green, Heremaia, Houghton, Lineham, Lynch, Manu, McGoldrick, Nicklas, O'Meley, Pitts, Seymour, Turner, Watts, Westerman, Whiting, Yeaman

Referee - James Child

Well seeing i have a sence of humour HC even when in pain with a Slipped Disc

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

highland convert

:sati: :lol1: :lol1: sorry could not resist. Sympathise re disc. I have Three discs that are easy to displace. Usually when lifting something light at the wrong angle rather than heavy lifting. Find a good osteopath. Jim
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

highland convert wrote: Usually when lifting something light at the wrong angle rather than heavy lifting. Find a good osteopath. Jim
Being a Scot must be your wallet :) :)
highland convert

No, it is carrying the English.