Superleagues Supermen

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cow yeds

Re: Superleagues Supermen

Post by cow yeds »

bertina wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Re Past / present comparisons. Murphy would have been a legend in any era. As a youngster he had startling speed / acceleration and would have been suited to the modern era. Whatsmore, even as a stocky, slow player coach he knew how to control a game.
Dead right CP, to say Murphy would be lost in today's game is nonsense. It's like saying so would Boston, or Ashton, or Mctigue.
Fitness is the main difference. Don't forget, most of these players had to do a days work before training. Todays players have nothing to do but eat, sleep, train and play. Add to that the benefit of dietary advice etc., and the comparison cannot be made. Imagine a full time, super fit, primed Billy Boston. Frightening!!
As for the notion of Murphy having input with our youngsters, he no doubt has the knowledge and the passion, but his man management skills are non existent. Ask anyone who has played under him.
Couldn't have been too bad he took two average teams to Wembley. :wink:
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

cow yeds wrote:
bertina wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Re Past / present comparisons. Murphy would have been a legend in any era. As a youngster he had startling speed / acceleration and would have been suited to the modern era. Whatsmore, even as a stocky, slow player coach he knew how to control a game.
Dead right CP, to say Murphy would be lost in today's game is nonsense. It's like saying so would Boston, or Ashton, or Mctigue.
Fitness is the main difference. Don't forget, most of these players had to do a days work before training. Todays players have nothing to do but eat, sleep, train and play. Add to that the benefit of dietary advice etc., and the comparison cannot be made. Imagine a full time, super fit, primed Billy Boston. Frightening!!
As for the notion of Murphy having input with our youngsters, he no doubt has the knowledge and the passion, but his man management skills are non existent. Ask anyone who has played under him.

Couldn't have been too bad he took two average teams to Wembley. :wink:
Never said he should be managing them, but giving them the benefit of his experience and the way he was brought through would be a benefit to young british halfbacks.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

slimshady wrote: Never said he should be managing them, but giving them the benefit of his experience and the way he was brought through would be a benefit to young british halfbacks.
A bit like asking Henry Ford to service your Lamborghini!
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Kittwazzer wrote:
slimshady wrote: Never said he should be managing them, but giving them the benefit of his experience and the way he was brought through would be a benefit to young british halfbacks.
A bit like asking Henry Ford to service your Lamborghini!
Oh dear if he's over 60 thats him done, he's no use to society any more. Euthanasia anyone?
jobo

Post by jobo »

cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:Murphy was pure class tonight. He gave his version of the Linsaygate affair, "If you don't pick that up you'll be following it, he didn't and I did" Apparently Mo threw money due to Murph onto the floor and Murphy knocked him out. Carney said Lindsay used to be a boxer and murph said "well he wasn't a good one"

Classic.

I know he's a smelly but somehow or other he still should be involved with RL.
He may have rewritten the story god bless him. IIRC the most documented / publicised version is that Murphy threw a phone at Lindsay.
He's said it loud and clear on telly so I'm willing to believe him. I know at the time, the relationship between Mo and Murph had disintegrated and the feeling was that Mo was looking for a way to sort the problem out. Maybe this was it.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

jobo wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:Murphy was pure class tonight. He gave his version of the Linsaygate affair, "If you don't pick that up you'll be following it, he didn't and I did" Apparently Mo threw money due to Murph onto the floor and Murphy knocked him out. Carney said Lindsay used to be a boxer and murph said "well he wasn't a good one"

Classic.

I know he's a smelly but somehow or other he still should be involved with RL.
He may have rewritten the story god bless him. IIRC the most documented / publicised version is that Murphy threw a phone at Lindsay.
He's said it loud and clear on telly so I'm willing to believe him. I know at the time, the relationship between Mo and Murph had disintegrated and the feeling was that Mo was looking for a way to sort the problem out. Maybe this was it.
For sure Jobo. I am just not certain Alex would tell the truth OR create/embelish his own version. IIRC it was the annual Wigan 7s where the incident began.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Don't know if it was just nerves or something but Chris Joynt certainly came across as having a very high regard for his own abilities. He even sounded a bit big headed. I always thought that along with Longy, he was one of the one's that got away but listening to him, it makes you wonder. Apparently, he offered sts his help when Simmons got the push but McManus never returned his calls.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

jobo wrote:Don't know if it was just nerves or something but Chris Joynt certainly came across as having a very high regard for his own abilities. He even sounded a bit big headed. I always thought that along with Longy, he was one of the one's that got away but listening to him, it makes you wonder. Apparently, he offered sts his help when Simmons got the push but McManus never returned his calls.
I thought he came over quite well, one thing for sure, he was a top player whether he played for saints or not.
I may be mistaken but i thought he said he rang the club not McManus.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

slimshady wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:
BriH wrote: I remember "Yapper" very well, and although he could really wind people up, even the most biased Speccy couldn't ignore his talent etc.
Watching him last night brought exactly the same comment from me and Margaret re. the RFL using the mass of experience out there that knew how to beat the Aussies.
The list is endless.
Not a chance that the Administrators/Managers(?) who run the RFL would buy into this idea - it would make them look like the amateurs they are.
Haven't a clue what Rugby league reallymeans to the Speccys, like me, who love the game.
I've been watching The Greatest Game for nigh on 60 years, and I still love it! :eusa3:

Understand where your comming from but the game has changed so much now,not all of it for the better.
Sorry but thats rubbish, ok players are fitter and bigger but the game is still the same. Its played with the same shaped ball, same amount of players and virtually the same rules. What your buying into is what the two nobheads on sky want you to believe they are selling a product albeit badly that its somehow a new product. Murphy's class would still shine through and he would still be world class. Players in todays era are coached to play the percentages, to make the opposition make mistakes and then capitalize on them. Six drives and a kick, no questions asked of the opposition just hoping for a mistake. Thats the problem with our game, weve lost our flair and thats why when someone like Sam comes along he quite rightly stands out and teams cant handle him. I know we have to play a balanced game, do the basics and defend but we need to get back to some of our style and mix it in with the Aussie game and then we will defeat the aussies, Iam positive that Alex Murphy being involved in some way with player development could only be a positive for our game. Its just a pity that it will never happen because of how our game is run and the idiots that are involved in running it.
One thing that has changed in the game for me Slim is that the hooker no longer strikes for the ball, so very few scrums are won against the head and feed.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I agree PM the scrum is just a way to restart the game imo.A Part from the props and hooker,the nearest men" get their ed in" as Gamson says