Re: blake green

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cook123

Post by cook123 »

A concern also with Blake Green is although he is a decent player i don't think that is being disputed he is however not in the same class a finch but also from the highlights i have seen he is very right sided and finch plays on the left so unless matty smith can play left and well we may struggle with that.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Hull KR fan on SLF has posted we have paid £150/200K for him!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

If you believe the Observer it did say a 6 figure sum.
wwiganuntillidie

Post by wwiganuntillidie »

it saidinthe sun aswell we offered a 6 figure sum
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
DaveO wrote:
God wrote:Signing players that are not as good because thats all thats available is an excuse imo.
Exactly!

Lets not beat about the bush. We lose TL and Finch and replace then with Smith and Green.

Hello! The club screwed up here. It found itself having to replace both half backs at once.

Signing the only ones available is not suitable mitigation for that IMO.
Dave O do you have a personal vendetta against IFL?

He has done well while at the helm but you seem intent on finding the negatives!
No I don't have a vendetta against IFL. I don't think the sun shines out of his backside though.

Do you think he is infallible?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TBH DaveO I think he's done pretty well.

The first thing he had to do when first taking over the club was put it back on a financial footing that would see it stand-alone without the need for huge cash inputs from its backer. The second task was to prevent the pyramid system of contracts that saw one or two of their so-called superstars on huge amounts of money, with little else left for the retention of juniors/upgrade of contracts that saw many players leave in the past.

Whilst there is no doubt Wigan took huge advantage of Melbourne's financial problems to sign Finch/Lima and Hoffman (not including Maguire), the opportunity to replace champion players with like-for-like has proved difficult. This problem is not endemic of Wigan but the game as a whole. If you discount Warrington and there flexi-salary cap then no other club has signed real "star" high profile players in the prime of the careers. Those that did had doubts over their characters/career in the NRL in the first place (Greg Bird/Rangi Chase etc) to which most fans seem opposed to signing in any case.

I'm in no way saying that Green is as good as Wigan could get, just that I think he is an easier option for the club and the permits etc needed for him to transfer his services AND that the incumbent coach likes him rates him as a player
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

butt monkey wrote:TBH DaveO I think he's done pretty well.

The first thing he had to do when first taking over the club was put it back on a financial footing that would see it stand-alone without the need for huge cash inputs from its backer. The second task was to prevent the pyramid system of contracts that saw one or two of their so-called superstars on huge amounts of money, with little else left for the retention of juniors/upgrade of contracts that saw many players leave in the past.

Whilst there is no doubt Wigan took huge advantage of Melbourne's financial problems to sign Finch/Lima and Hoffman (not including Maguire), the opportunity to replace champion players with like-for-like has proved difficult. This problem is not endemic of Wigan but the game as a whole. If you discount Warrington and there flexi-salary cap then no other club has signed real "star" high profile players in the prime of the careers. Those that did had doubts over their characters/career in the NRL in the first place (Greg Bird/Rangi Chase etc) to which most fans seem opposed to signing in any case.

I'm in no way saying that Green is as good as Wigan could get, just that I think he is an easier option for the club and the permits etc needed for him to transfer his services AND that the incumbent coach likes him rates him as a player
Good post BM agree entirely.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:TBH DaveO I think he's done pretty well.
In general so do I. Which is why I rather resent posts such as the the one I commented on above. I have posted plenty of times praising when he has done a good job.

Wane obviously rated Lauaki who has been Mr. Average but the debate is not about that IMO.

Apart form that point I don't disagree with most of that particularly the (recent) history lesson ;-)

I am also well aware of the current financial situation in terms of signing top players.

However losing Finch and Tommy at the same time is a cock up IMO. It wouldn't have been had better replacements been available but clearly exactly because of the current financial situation they were not going to be.

So in my opinion IL should have moved heaven and earth to keep Finch. Sam is obviously Wigan's highest paid player but Finch is arguable our most influential and certainly worth a very big contract. Especially given the club knew Tommy was leaving.

In my opinion had IL offered Finch a big contract much earlier he would probably have taken it. The club seems to have a habit of adopting a "wait and see" attitude by which time players minds are possibly already elsewhere with the help of their agents of course. Whether that is right or wrong at the end of the day he failed to secure Finch on another contract and that is in itself a failure.

The fact we look to be going into 2013 with two lesser half backs because essentially they are the best available is no mitigation but that does not mean IL has not done many other good things at the club.

TRICKY DICKY

Post by TRICKY DICKY »

Doesnt anyone find it strange that finch hasnt said who he is signing for, that to me says he may well be signing for another Super league side. Que the rumour to hull or even worse saints
ALL GOOD THINGS ARE WORTH WAITING FOR

WIGAN R.L.F.C. - A WAY OF LIFE
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I was under the impression he was possibly going to retire.