And tonights games proves a Wigan bias from the RFL / REFS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stegy

And tonights games proves a Wigan bias from the RFL / REFS

Post by stegy »

Micky Mac was rightly sent off last week for a very late high tackle,the 1st of the game. Tonight Wire v Saints the ref waited until there had been 3 then called the captain for a warning at least one of those should have been yellow or even red when you compare with Mickeys tackle. Then in the 2nd game Leeds v wackey a fight broke out near the end Lului landed 3 punches and Ganson saw them but he just called the players together and told Lului not to punch him he also told both players they wouldnt be sent off because there was only 2 minutes left. So if you play for Wigan you get sent off and a 3 game ban for your 1st high tackle and only 1 punch say no more.
stegy

Re: And tonights games proves a Wigan bias from the RFL /...

Post by stegy »

Yeah but only if Ganson can be bothered to put it in his report.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I've put this in the 'corruption' thread too but I've just emailed the RFL with this:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Having just watched the Leeds v Wakefield match I felt compelled to write to you to question the ethics with which you govern the game. I (like many others) are having serious doubts as to whether refereeing / disciplinary is actually being run correctly and although it's a bold statement, I believe that either absolute incompetence or corruption are playing a major factor in modern Rugby League.

I am a Wigan fan and was very disappointed when Michael McIllorum was sent off against St Helens last weekend. I questioned whether it was a sending off but given that it was the player in question, it seemed the writing was on the wall. I was appalled when he received a three match ban as the offence simply didn't deserve it in my opinion. I appreciate that I'm biassed but to me it looked to be a clumsy challenge rather than anything deliberate but I still maintain it was a tough call to send the player off. However, I can see why he needed to be shown a red card and I will have to accept it. Wigan have appealed against the ban but as usual, the disciplinary committee were quite obviously disinterested and the ban stood. It was a very harsh punishment for a relatively minor offence.

What I find utterly disgraceful is the inconsistency with which the referees conduct themselves. It appears that it's down to a particular ref and /or a particular team as to how players are treated.

I have just watched Kylie Leuluia punch a player in the face in front of the referee and NOTHING was done other than a penalty being awarded. This is a deliberate attempt to injure another player and yet nothing happens. I would argue that because it's a Leeds player, the rules of the game don't necessarily apply but I want to know how you, as the governing body, can explain to me why my team are being punished massively and yet Leeds and Leuluai are not.

The truth is that you can't. There is not a reason out there that will explain why Michael McIllorum's season is over while Leuluai will play again. I would also mention Paul Wood in the CC cup final. A deliberate punch, and no punishment at all.

Harrison Hansen was taken out completely off the ball against Les Catalans yesterday and again, whilst a penalty was awarded, why is there not a red card and why is there not a three match ban. YOU set the precedent by banning McIllorum and yet when it's another team, the rules that you've set out do not apply.

Are you corrupt or just absolutely incompetent?

I would very much appreciate a reply to this email offering some explanation but I doubt you'll be able to muster anything nearly satisfactory.

You are making enemies in the fans left, right and centre. I am not the only one with this opinion.

I look forward to hearing your excuses,
Paul Seddon.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I've put this in the 'corruption' thread too but I've just emailed the RFL with this:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Having just watched the Leeds v Wakefield match I felt compelled to write to you to question the ethics with which you govern the game. I (like many others) are having serious doubts as to whether refereeing / disciplinary is actually being run correctly and although it's a bold statement, I believe that either absolute incompetence or corruption are playing a major factor in modern Rugby League.

I am a Wigan fan and was very disappointed when Michael McIllorum was sent off against St Helens last weekend. I questioned whether it was a sending off but given that it was the player in question, it seemed the writing was on the wall. I was appalled when he received a three match ban as the offence simply didn't deserve it in my opinion. I appreciate that I'm biassed but to me it looked to be a clumsy challenge rather than anything deliberate but I still maintain it was a tough call to send the player off. However, I can see why he needed to be shown a red card and I will have to accept it. Wigan have appealed against the ban but as usual, the disciplinary committee were quite obviously disinterested and the ban stood. It was a very harsh punishment for a relatively minor offence.

What I find utterly disgraceful is the inconsistency with which the referees conduct themselves. It appears that it's down to a particular ref and /or a particular team as to how players are treated.

I have just watched Kylie Leuluia punch a player in the face in front of the referee and NOTHING was done other than a penalty being awarded. This is a deliberate attempt to injure another player and yet nothing happens. I would argue that because it's a Leeds player, the rules of the game don't necessarily apply but I want to know how you, as the governing body, can explain to me why my team are being punished massively and yet Leeds and Leuluai are not.

The truth is that you can't. There is not a reason out there that will explain why Michael McIllorum's season is over while Leuluai will play again. I would also mention Paul Wood in the CC cup final. A deliberate punch, and no punishment at all.

Harrison Hansen was taken out completely off the ball against Les Catalans yesterday and again, whilst a penalty was awarded, why is there not a red card and why is there not a three match ban. YOU set the precedent by banning McIllorum and yet when it's another team, the rules that you've set out do not apply.

Are you corrupt or just absolutely incompetent?

I would very much appreciate a reply to this email offering some explanation but I doubt you'll be able to muster anything nearly satisfactory.

You are making enemies in the fans left, right and centre. I am not the only one with this opinion.

I look forward to hearing your excuses,
Paul Seddon.

I think every single Wigan Fan should send the same e-mail and sign it too. A few thousand e-mail cant go unnoticed

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Of course they'll go unnoticed. The RFL will just ignore them, they'll get sackfuls of mail on a weekly basis from fans all over they'll just sidetrack and ignore as with prejudice. Possibly with good reason. If they entered into fan debate over every on field issue like this, they'd be swamped.

It doesn't detract from the lack of consistency though does it?? If Wigan v Saints at the Millenium have some fisticuffs it results in several bans. When it's Kylie Leuleui and Richie Mathers, it's brushed away with a smile and 'come on lads, there's only a minute left."

Whether theres 68 minutes, 10 minutes or 2 seconds left, time shouldn't be a factor.

That incident should be referred followingly the RFL video review and result in bans. Don't hold your breath.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Well done guys to all you posters taking the time to write to the RFL, it will probably fall on deaf ears but good effort. For me the club needs to support you letter writers more and send in a sack full of evidence to show the corruption level in its full glory, having said that they probably already have. The RFL and the Australian equivalent should have a Governing Body that they need to explain their answers/decisions to, maybe an elite panel of unbiased Australians should govern our RFL disciplinary and vice versa! Just a thought!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Probably a more accurate comparison is between Kylie's punch and McIllorum's punch earlier in the season.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
markill

Post by markill »

If people want to send this sort of email / letter then thats all fine and good. But I think people should try and do it more dispationately. Using examples to make your point is really good, but going on to use terms like corruption or complete incompetence and throwing in personal opinions that you admit are based in bias aren't going to help you make your point I don't feel.

Still, I agree that if the RFL get enough of a concerted effort from supporters of the game questioning what they do they will have to at least consider it.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:If people want to send this sort of email / letter then thats all fine and good. But I think people should try and do it more dispationately. Using examples to make your point is really good, but going on to use terms like corruption or complete incompetence and throwing in personal opinions that you admit are based in bias aren't going to help you make your point I don't feel.

Still, I agree that if the RFL get enough of a concerted effort from supporters of the game questioning what they do they will have to at least consider it.
It at least lets the RFL know that people are passionate about their club and not prepared to tolerate what they are getting away with, either mistakenly or corruptly.
By the way people are voicing their opinion lets the RFL know exactly how people think of them.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

I sent my e.mail and signed it. Don't let them settle was advice given to me many years ago. It is still true today.
And the next e.mail to the RFL is....?
E.& O.E.