Re: Is this what we as fans crave ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

Two Eyed Warrior - Thanks for this Video. Just looked up the stats on Bilko's wonderful site, long may he preserve it.
Shaun Edwards at 19. 30,000 + at Central Park.Personally I could only recognise about half of the team (Gill goal kicker?)
The team, according to Bilko's Bible is-

Sun 12 Oct Aus (H) L(TOUR) Hampson BelllT Stephenson LydonlT GilllG3 EdwardslT Ford West Dermott Case Roberts Potter Goodway Louw Du Toit.

Thanks again.
E.& O.E.
Mintball Mick

Post by Mintball Mick »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeEBDkTfzdI

A return of these types of games, full tours ?

Just have a look at the crowd 30k

The quality of the game on show

Can we ever have this again, is it any wonder many have fell out with the game when we had days like this
Brilliant. That was a Central Park moment. An atmosphere that could never happen at the concrete mausoleum that is DW!
Mintball Mick

Post by Mintball Mick »

Ron Doran wrote:Two Eyed Warrior - Thanks for this Video. Just looked up the stats on Bilko's wonderful site, long may he preserve it.
Shaun Edwards at 19. 30,000 + at Central Park.Personally I could only recognise about half of the team (Gill goal kicker?)
The team, according to Bilko's Bible is-

Sun 12 Oct Aus (H) L(TOUR) Hampson BelllT Stephenson LydonlT GilllG3 EdwardslT Ford West Dermott Case Roberts Potter Goodway Louw Du Toit.

Thanks again.
Ron. Gill & Stephenson shared the kicking dependant on which side the try was scored. It worked!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

That was the first match I ever went to, my dad took me. I remember being sat on the roof of the old concrete dugout.

Happy times :)

Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

Sutty - You just mentioned that it was the first match you went to.

Perhaps, when the season ends and it is quiet times, we could be encouraged to describe our first match

I will start off, when appropriate eh.
E.& O.E.
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

Yes
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Best thing about that match was the commentators. Wasn't it nice to hear someone commentating rather than the endless drivel we get on sky now. Never seen the grubber from the play of the ball before. Nice to see contested scrims as well.jim
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

What stood out to me was how many top name Aussies came over here to play club rugby ......... Brett Kenny, Peter Sterling, Garry Jack, Noel Cleal, etc.
I know it's not as easy now with the seasons running in parallel, but there is just no comparison to some of the second rate crap we import these days.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I was there too & loved the atmosphere.
The Kiwis tours were just as great as well.

Yes, I would crave those games again :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jolleymike

Post by jolleymike »

i was there, it sticks in my memory especially as it was one of my first weekends home on leave from basic training in the army.

You could tell it was going to be a sell out crowd when walking down from birkey bank,

I know the game is a lot faster now and the players are 100% full time but you could see that the uk game was a lot closer to ausies then unlike now where they are light years ahead.

I must admit i do miss the atmosphere of central park some how the JJB doesnt have the same appeal.