Hock back to tackle Rhinos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hock back to tackle Rhinos

Post by josie andrews »

GARETH Hock looks set to blast back into the side for tomorrow’s showdown against Leeds.

The blockbusting forward missed the opening game of the play-offs after failing a late fitness test on a leg injury.

And he watched on from the stand as the Warriors swept aside Catalan in clinical fashion in a 46-6 destruction.

Coach Shaun Wane says Hock is now fit and available – but stopped short of promising him a return to his regular left-flank second-row spot.

He said: “I might make some changes.

“Gaz is fit now, he’s a quality player who was in the Super League DreamTeam, and to be honest he was touch and go for the Catalan game but we didn’t want to risk him.

“He’s fine now, he’s got a chance of being in. But I thought Jack Hughes was outstanding in his place, so I’m in a very comfortable position.”

Wane named his 19-man squad yesterday after only Chris Tuson, Paul Prescott [both injured] and Michael McIlorum [suspended] were definitely unavailable.

He will need to cut two players before Friday’s semi-final encounter, and his headache is not limited to deciding who to leave out – he also has some positions to finalise as well.

Sean O’Loughlin started at hooker against Catalan in place of the banned McIlorum, a move which handed more game-time to the in-form Liam Farrell and created a more physical pack in the early stages until Matty Smith’s introduction from the bench.

“It’s a case of horses for courses, which way we go,” said Wane. “It’s all about who will win me the game.”

Meanwhile, Sam Tomkins reckons the Man of Steel race is too close to call.

The full-back controversially missed out on the coveted award last year to Rangi Chase – the Castleford stand-off even admitted he thought Tomkins would have walked away with the prize.

This year, Tomkins is on a three-man short-list with Warrington’s Ben Westwood and St Helens’ James Roby and he told Wigan TV: “James Roby has been outstanding all year, as has Benny, so it’s pretty much open.

“It’d be nice to win it, a massive honour, but it wouldn’t be a massive disappointment either if I didn’t.”

This is the third time in a row Tomkins has been short-listed for the prize, which will be announced next Monday.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-4965020
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
trotski_tgwu

Re: Hock back to tackle Rhinos

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Great to see Gaz back in the team and great that sam has been nominated for MOS doubt he will get it as i think Westwood of Wire will win it, Hate to admit it but watching him this season i think he deserves it too. So does Sam so it is a close thing between those 2 i feel.

I do hope Sam does get it though.

How is Stephen doing Josie? Hope he is on the mend mate

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Great, we get rid of a hot head and bring back king numpton, i hope and pray he does NOT fall for the winding up tactics that the scummy dingles will employ against him :eusa10:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

trotski_tgwu wrote:Great to see Gaz back in the team and great that sam has been nominated for MOS doubt he will get it as i think Westwood of Wire will win it, Hate to admit it but watching him this season i think he deserves it too. So does Sam so it is a close thing between those 2 i feel.

I do hope Sam does get it though.

How is Stephen doing Josie? Hope he is on the mend mate
He's home but in a lot of pain where they had to break his ribs to get at the tumour, thank you for asking :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
trotski_tgwu

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Ouch sounds painfull josie, please pass on my best wishes mate

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

ow ow ow pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery and look after yourself as well
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Wes

Post by Wes »

All the best to him on hopefully a speedy and full recovery Josie.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:Great, we get rid of a hot head and bring back king numpton, i hope and pray he does NOT fall for the winding up tactics that the scummy dingles will employ against him :eusa10:
Could we say the same of Ryan Bailey.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Big boost to have Gaz back.
Can't wait for this game. Should be a cracker. Think we should come out on top.

Anyone got any idea why ticket sales are so crap? I keep checking on the online eticketing thing on the official site and only around 10,000 tickets have been sold
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Blackpool_Pie wrote:Anyone got any idea why ticket sales are so crap? I keep checking on the online eticketing thing on the official site and only around 10,000 tickets have been sold
Simple fact is that folk can't afford to put their hand in their pocket for match after match especially the prices being charged for play off tickets.

I should imagine there's quite a percentage who are keeping hold of their money to see if we make it to the Grand Final.