Three massive problems

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kiwiseddon

Three massive problems

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Oh God I'm gutted but I think that Wigan's apparent lack of achievement this season is rubbish and the calls to sack SW are just knee jerk.

Point 1: We are on a hiding to nothing with the RFL. I don' t know why, I don't know what we've done to deserve this but when Wigan players are publicly calling the judiciary a lottery there's a problem. MM's ban is a joke. It's been given by a judiciary who were out to get us. I say this because any independent, objective judiciary would not have banned him for effectively 4 matches for he did while Danny McGuire gets 1. A joke.

Point 2: The structure of the Superleague effectively means that the twenty something games you play before the play offs are relatively meaningless. Leeds have for the second season proved that you can be average all season provided you play 4-5 games well at the end. Warrington were head and shoulders above the rest of SL last season but were remembered for nothing. Sadly it's out turn this season.

Point 3: And the third is down to us. We were not good enough to employ tactics to break down a very determined Leeds side who were tactically superior to us today. We have a very stylish and 'Champagne' game plan when it works but we haven't won a 'big' game for a while and we never deserved to win that tonight. Our first half was awful and we shouldn't be screaming for penalties that are crucial when we could have done so much more to prevent it being an issue in the 1st half.

Having said that we did win the one piece of silverware that's the hardest to win. It's just a shame that's it's regarded by the powers that be as nothing more than a hub cap.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
pie eater and proud of it

Re: Three massive problems

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

I am very disillusioned right now.

Our season tickets cost me over £600 plus away games etc and a team that is TEN points lower than us is in the GF.

I know I am low at the moment but I cant see us renewing again, and thats after 30 years man and boy.

The league is pointless, yes I will still watch my beloved Warriors but why bother attending games against Quins/ Cas/ etc, they are meaningless.

And dont get me started on the RL conspiracy.

Silverwood tonight, 3 pens to Leeds in front of our sticks. Us ? None.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

On the subject of tickets, we bought ours for our usual East Stand seats at £21 each. Turned out it was only £20 to pay at the gate. Cheers Wigan, you really do know how to please your ST holders!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Funny really as I had it down to 3 problems.

Coaching. Ever since we broadcast our new attacking moves teams have worked out how to beat us. We've not won a big game since Leeds /cats away. It's upto SW to work new moves and not keep trying old ones.

Team selection. Ok we've lost the best hooker in the league, but we've got a NZ international in reserve. Ok let's play lockers their, then when it's not working try smith. Come on Shaun play tommy at 9 . And as for murphy at fullback, against sinfield it had to be pat.

The RL and Leeds. I know don't if the refs are on their side but that's 2weeks in a row they should have lost. How come their penalties were kick able. I knew they would play the forward pass again so decided to count. 15 forwards tonight, none pulled up, how many times did the tackler lie in the way, never pulled up. Hand in the tackle, pulling at legs, lying on, none. Then H gets pulled up for moving his leg...oh and it's kick able.

The RL don't realise that a team from 5th getting to the grand final each year will stop people going to the weekly rounds and our game will die out. I bet football and union are laughing their heads off. I know it works in auz but it's their national sport.

And £15 for a kids ticket in the east, me and my son go every match home and away, but then Wigan say its cheaper for those who just want to turn up for the big games.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I'm with you FTT. If teams are only going to 'play' in knockout games, why should the fans shell out to watch what are effectively 27 training sessions?
TSB

Post by TSB »

come on what would you sooner have . we have played champayne rugby league all season. the turning point was loosing Tommy during the exiles game which we never really recovered for the challenge cup. we lost Sam tonight ans also micky mc .Season ticket cheap as owt. Rugby League is the best game in the world to watch. How boring would it be if we won all the time. :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TSB wrote:come on what would you sooner have . we have played champayne rugby league all season.
Really? I can't say I agree we did after the exiles game and I thought we always used to laugh at Saints for doing that and winning nowt anyway.
the turning point was loosing Tommy during the exiles game which we never really recovered for the challenge cup. we lost Sam tonight ans also micky mc .Season ticket cheap as owt. Rugby League is the best game in the world to watch. How boring would it be if we won all the time. :D
I must have missed us winning the challenge cup this season. We aren't winning all the time. We lost both semi finals we were in. Lost as in didn't win. Not good enough.

You are also missing the point about season tickets. We have won the league but in the grand scheme of things as they are it means next to nothing. That ought not to be the case but it is.

If ignoring the league and turning it on for a few games gets you to be champions why not just pay to watch these four games? Leeds have a lower average crowd than us for league games. I wonder how many supporters have turned up for the play offs who are not season ticket holders? Not the final next week (always get glory hunters for finals) but how many are occasional supporters?

In essence the league is a con trick. The clubs need your money each week but the 27 rounds don't count.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote:
I knew they would play the forward pass again so decided to count. 15 forwards tonight, none pulled up, how many times did the tackler lie in the way, never pulled up. Hand in the tackle, pulling at legs, lying on, none. Then H gets pulled up for moving his leg...oh and it's kick able.
We did exactly the same thing, just because Leeds get away with nine out of ten forward passes & it proved that way again tonight. Just one forward pass went against them!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:
I knew they would play the forward pass again so decided to count. 15 forwards tonight, none pulled up, how many times did the tackler lie in the way, never pulled up. Hand in the tackle, pulling at legs, lying on, none. Then H gets pulled up for moving his leg...oh and it's kick able.
We did exactly the same thing, just because Leeds get away with nine out of ten forward passes & it proved that way again tonight. Just one forward pass went against them!!
Leeds know this is a weakness in refereeing in general, so they utilise it because they know that 8 times out of 10 they will get away with it.