Should Jack Murphy have been put under so much pressure?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Should Jack Murphy have been put under so much pressure?

Post by cpwigan »

Was it a terrible decision to suddenly put a young player with so little first team experience such a task? I think it was suicidal.

You have Pat who is an accomplished full back, players to fill his wing spot. You have Chartnley who was excellent at FB when Sam went off injured. You have Matty Russel, the GB Academy fullback. Many say Matty drops bombs, could he havbe done worse than Jack?

I think Waney got it wrong and did a big disservice to Jack Murphy.
Kittwazzer

Re: Should Jack Murphy have been put under so much pressure?

Post by Kittwazzer »

I agree that it was a huge ask to throw him in after only one first team game under his belt when there were other options.

And its highlighted how much we are dependant on Sam. Something I hope is addressed for next season!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Kittwazzer wrote:I agree that it was a huge ask to throw him in after only one first team game under his belt when there were other options.

And its highlighted how much we are dependant on Sam. Something I hope is addressed for next season!
The solution was always there. Play Pat at FB and put Gelling on the wing. Problem is for some reason he plays an inexperience player in a semi final and that decision was a big factor in us losing. That was not the only one and i am not blaming Murphy for the lose.

The 2 starting props were awful and Lima was the worst player on the pitch tonight. Made little yards and had no impact on the game. Mossop improved second half. But when the gong gets tough Lima goes awol.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Jack Murphy is a very good prospect and both he a Sam Powell should be brought into the rotation next season. There were other perhaps better options tonight but the bottom line is we are far too dependant on Sam and that makes us very vulnerable!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cherry, one thing is for sure Waney can never say he selects players on form. Matty Russel was one of Wigan's few shining lights, one of our best in our recent Academy defeat v Leeds. Jack Murphy certainly wasn't.

Jack is an honest dependable trier but is he anything more, will he be anything more?

You Cherry like many advocated selecting him because you felt he was reliable under the bomb. He was anything but tonight when it mattered. Russel may have dropped them but he would have offered more in attack.

I cannot believe you think Pat would have dropped those bombs? Charnley too? Come on. I hate to use but Waney did not show any duty of care. He got it badly wrong tonight. He could have even change it during the game and took Jack off, put Pat at FB and played Hughes on the win if need be.

bocco

Post by bocco »

no he played well in the first half but the 2 bombs caught him though on a wet night who knows who would have taken them better to stop Sinfield dicating the game. I thought we were poor & did not turn up for the first half,Leeds had total control we were better in the 2nd half.

TSB

Post by TSB »

Call yourself fans, I think this is a disgrace. these kids try there best Like they say who would have taken those bombs. these players read these forums. DESI WILLIAMS comes to mind. what happened to him. In the future just buy AUSSIES dont bring young uns thru. And YES I think Waney was right playing Jack.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

I thought we should have put pat at fullback and felt sorry for young Murphy being thrown in at the deep end.He wasn't to blame for the lose by any means. The one player who has for me been unable to take control of big games is Finch. Leeds had sinfield who dictated play and we had Finch who for me was average when he needed to stand up and take control.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TSB wrote:Call yourself fans, I think this is a disgrace. these kids try there best Like they say who would have taken those bombs. these players read these forums. DESI WILLIAMS comes to mind. what happened to him. In the future just buy AUSSIES dont bring young uns thru. And YES I think Waney was right playing Jack.
Not knocking Jack TSB but SW has had opportunities to give him more game time this season. It was 'brave' of him to throw him into a game like this. FWIW, I thought he played well under the circumstances!
TSB

Post by TSB »

Shaun has been brave enough to start the youngsters who are going to be our future stars for many years to come. We have some fantastic prospects coming thru the ranks. Lets be fair when Madge arrived we were all gobsmacked that we won any thing in the first season we were meant to build for the future. unfortunately we won the Grand final in our first season and went on to win the challenge cup in the second IMO very lucky. Did take it why not, but was looking thru rose tinted glasses.we were learning Madge left. Shaun took over not really a bad season considered. Rugby league as a sport is in this country looking as though it can go to the wall unless we all get behind it. Lets celebrate a great game tonight 13 -12 so close but yet so far away. WELL DONE LEEDS.