SACK SW NOW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: SACK SW NOW

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Without McGuire Leeds had one 'in play' kicker in Sinfield who happens to get Man of the Match for his performance last night. Leeds were without McGuire in the Challenge Cup Final and Warrington made Sinfield look like a chump, having one of his worst games all season, and when it mattered to Leeds most.
From memory last night there were only 2 occasions when Wigan actually got to Sinfield to prevent him making those kicks. Should this not have been a show stopper in Wigans game plan last night, as it didnt seem to be.
Why not even give away a penalty by dumping him on his arse off the ball a couple of times, just to let him know that you are in his face and see how he handles his kicking game from there.
How effective was Finch and Hock last night, some would say maybe our most potent weapon (Sam aside). McDermott knew this.
Sinfield forced Finch to pass the ball where it went for Watkins to pick up and go the full length. Sinfield was at spoiling at Hock at every opportunity.
In years gone by (times without video evidence) I dare say that Sinfield wouldnt have lasted out the game , maybe even carried off on a stretcher, which isnt the point I am trying to make, but why wasnt there more effort put into lessening the effectiveness of Sinfields game.
Pat can catch balls for fun and so can Iain Thornely from what I have seen, ideal to put Pat at FB and IT on the wing, was that a considered option before the players went on the park.
Waney doesnt appear to have any plan B, but Plan A should always be set up to focus on the opposition and not as a general style of play plan that is used the same, week in week out.
Going by the first half performance Waney didnt have a good plan A.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Without McGuire Leeds had one 'in play' kicker in Sinfield who happens to get Man of the Match for his performance last night. Leeds were without McGuire in the Challenge Cup Final and Warrington made Sinfield look like a chump, having one of his worst games all season, and when it mattered to Leeds most.
From memory last night there were only 2 occasions when Wigan actually got to Sinfield to prevent him making those kicks. Should this not have been a show stopper in Wigans game plan last night, as it didnt seem to be.
Why not even give away a penalty by dumping him on his arse off the ball a couple of times, just to let him know that you are in his face and see how he handles his kicking game from there.
How effective was Finch and Hock last night, some would say maybe our most potent weapon (Sam aside). McDermott knew this.
Sinfield forced Finch to pass the ball where it went for Watkins to pick up and go the full length. Sinfield was at spoiling at Hock at every opportunity.
In years gone by (times without video evidence) I dare say that Sinfield wouldnt have lasted out the game , maybe even carried off on a stretcher, which isnt the point I am trying to make, but why wasnt there more effort put into lessening the effectiveness of Sinfields game.
Pat can catch balls for fun and so can Iain Thornely from what I have seen, ideal to put Pat at FB and IT on the wing, was that a considered option before the players went on the park.
Waney doesnt appear to have any plan B, but Plan A should always be set up to focus on the opposition and not as a general style of play plan that is used the same, week in week out.
Going by the first half performance Waney didnt have a good plan A.
Carbon copy of what I said to my dad
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
grahamwarrior

Post by grahamwarrior »

ive said it before and ill say it again its stuart cummins who should be sacked , once again in my opinion we lost to inconsistant refereeing decisions ,what about darryl being held down in last minute , and in first half leeds dropped the ball not harrison hanson interferring
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

There's positives and negatives about Wane fir me like most on here , where he needs to learn is all the Gobbing off in the media I.E the McGuire issue, not our player , not our issue . If he should have learned one thing from Madge then it was to keep tight lipped and remain professional at all
Times , like some say , that's the Fan side of him coming out , but when all is said and done we've been top of the tree since May , just a shame we've not had that ruthless attacking edge in the crucial games at the crucial times ,

Bring on 2013 and see where we are this time nxt season ( I for one hope it's freezing my potatoes of in the que outside the ticket office )

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The worrying thing about Waney is that his biggest fan is Schofield!! He will or should know that IL will boot him if things start to go even slightly pear shaped.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

With Finchy, Lima, George, Tommy gone and (Stu Fielden being shown the door, Waney's decision), with in coming Thornley, Smith, Green and possibly Taylor, maybe others to add close season.
We will in future be seing a Wigan side based more on Shaun Wanes ideas and not the set up followed on from Madge's decisions.
It will be interesting to see how we progress with such changes.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

We didn't lose because of SW. We lost because
We didn't turn up in the first half.
We "sat" on it after we went 12-11 up instead of looking for that third try which would have made Leeds become desperate.
Finch failed (again) to drop a goal.
Jack made a wrong decision in going for the ball.

Remember Gary Connolly's first Cup Final when he was so awful that it was assumed he would disappear.

I suspect that in several years we'll be talking about SW's successful reign as coach and Jack's long career.
Incidentally, he seemed to get a bash in the ribs that troubled him through the match - I assume it was the thug Bailey (or one of his disciples) who did that.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Judging by the time of the O/P I hope it was just a knee jerk reaction of the highest quality. We're all disappointed we lost last night but Waney has done well this season, ok he has made some mistakes - have you never done that Kol? Waney will learn from his and as others have said hindsight is a wonderful thing. When ref penalised Peacock for his tackle on Mossop we could have taken the 2 points but instead chose to play on and Finch (who I personally thought had a stinker) sent a wayward pass that Watkins latched on to and went in for a try - had we taken the 2 we would have won but only know that now so such is life. I've had three deaths in the family between last Sunday and the previous Monday so losing a close game of rugby by one point isn't the end of the world in comparison but to want Waney sacked is just plain ridiculous.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

To be fair to Wane I personaly think and have enjoyed the way we have played Rugby a lot more than the way we played under Madge. Our attack for most of the season has been exciting and effective.But when its mattered in knock games we haven't performed and that's what concerns me. I think some of the forwards look jaded and should have been rested more. And why do we always seem to attack dowm Georges and Pats side when we have Charnley on the other in big games.I think Wane will learn from this season and the mistakes he's made and be an even better coach for it.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wane is a good coach at bringing young players up to top level and training the players, but I don't think he is is good enough technical wise and appears to have no alternative plan other than the same game plan which other teams know. That's why we need a top class coach from down under.