Bryn Hargreaves retires at 26 years ikd

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Sutty

Bryn Hargreaves retires at 26 years ikd

Post by Sutty »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/19661026

He's got a point, RL is one of the shorter careers amongst elite sportsmen and women, especially considering that very very few of the players will earn enough money to live comfortably.
It's a real shame that his career's ended like this, but if an opportunity comes along that is far more secure, long term then they have to give it serious consideration.
This is exactly why footballers live on an entirely different planet, with their astronomical salaries.

shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Bryn Hargreaves retires at 26 years ikd

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

This is a sad reflection of our game. Good luck to Bryn he's got his head screwed on but I bet that he is back playing RL in the future at some level or other, it's an addictive drug!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Post by markill »

Although there are failings in the game, this guy played for Wigan and was then signed by an at the time more successful St Helens. He has to take some blame for his career in RL not giving him more rewards than it has.

That said, its fair that he wants to secure a longer term career and he has some decent points about the state of the game. He sin't the only one to raise them but this story is one that could raise the profile a little of these issues.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ngac

Post by ngac »

I am interested to know what career will sustain him and his family for life.. at 30 years old im thinking I could be interested in it too!!
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

just a run of the mill prop who would never be in the higher pay bracket at any of his three clubs.
I don't blame the lad for getting out and grabbing the opportunity to stabilise his future, good luck to the lad.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cow yeds wrote:just a run of the mill prop who would never be in the higher pay bracket at any of his three clubs.
He is still a first team sqaud member and would be one of any of these clubs top 25 paid players (remember the salary cap is only divided 25 ways).

Now granted Bardford would no longer be paying to the full cap but its not very good when it's more attractive to ditch being a professional RL player for an ordinary job.

Not all sports can set up their atheletes for life when they retire but I really do think the incentives should be there to carry on until the normal retirement age of a player of in their early thirties. When a 1st team player retires at 26 that should ring the alarm bells.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Quite sad really. Unfortunately, he is not alone. Several players were happy to play at a lower level and part time in order to maintain or develop an off field career.

Unless you are an elite player, top earner at your Sl club then RL is a bad career choice compared to Union or football.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

ngac wrote:I am interested to know what career will sustain him and his family for life.. at 30 years old im thinking I could be interested in it too!!
What a bizarre comment. You're either a wind up merchant or have never had a steady job.
I've had 3 different types of career, all of them had the potential to sustain myself and my family for the rest of my life. They're not a myth you know, these career type jobs. You start at the bottom and work your way up. You often have to move companies, in order to progress, but the fact is that there are a lot of industries etc were you can progress as your knowledge and experience develops. Unfortunately, unless you're at the very, very pinnacle of RL, that isn't one of them.

ngac

Post by ngac »

What a bizarre comment. You're either a wind up merchant or have never had a steady job.
I've had 3 different types of career, all of them had the potential to sustain myself and my family for the rest of my life. They're not a myth you know, these career type jobs. You start at the bottom and work your way up. You often have to move companies, in order to progress, but the fact is that there are a lot of industries etc were you can progress as your knowledge and experience develops. Unfortunately, unless you're at the very, very pinnacle of RL, that isn't one of them.
What a bizarre comment indeed.

In the current climate each day in the private sector is another day your hoping to survive. Is a 12 month RL contract better or worse?

A job to sustain me for life.. yes please ill take that.

By the tone of the article something has come up that cant wait till his pro career is over and you find it bizarre that im interested in what that may be..

Im a computer programmer, im sure that could have waited 10 years for me to finish a pro RL career should I have been good enough. What career wont wait..