George Carmont

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: George Carmont

Post by DaveO »

I thought he said he was retiring from the game regardless of whether he wants to go to NZ or not?

From the news section of the official site:

George Carmont insists he won't change his mind when it comes to playing rugby, but admits he would still like to be involved in sport.

As part of a special series on Wigan TV, we've been speaking to the four key players who won't be with us next season.

In his last ever interview at Wigan, the Centre told us he would have to take "any work he could get" when he returned to New Zealand - but wouldn't be making a return to the game.

From here:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news

Given we could have really done with him for another year I'd be disappointed if he left for another club.

He has given us great service but the club has been good for him as well, respected his decision to retire and I think earned its right to a first refusal of his services for next season if there is going to be one for George if you get my drift. He wouldn't have to take any offer from Wigan as he was out of contract but it would have been nice to have been given the chance to make one.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I saw that as well Dave, I was just commenting on what I had been told it wasn't official or anything
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

Players who leave whilst under contract, players who leave after contract bloody hell dave just what makes you happy and not moan?!?!

After the service he has given to the club does it really matter what he does next year on the other side of the world???
doc

Post by doc »

Don't know what the economy is like in NZ, but maybe playing on for another season down there was the only job he could get.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

If the club find a replacement who is as good and who playes with injuries without a moan, add loyalty and a great guy, I for one would be delighted.Thank you for all you have done for our club & I wish you well for your family. He is only in the development side of NZ Warriors.[/i][/b]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:Players who leave whilst under contract, players who leave after contract bloody hell dave just what makes you happy and not moan?!?!

After the service he has given to the club does it really matter what he does next year on the other side of the world???
I was expressing the exact same sentiment as Panchitta Marra who said:

"I am dissapointed as there seems to be fuel left in his tank yet he chose to burn it elsewhere"

Are you going to have a pop at PM as well????

FWIW I'd be surprised if there were anything in the rumour as given the strength of his feelings about retiring from the game here he'd be a bit mad to try his hand back in the NRL if he thinks his body has had enough.

jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:Players who leave whilst under contract, players who leave after contract bloody hell dave just what makes you happy and not moan?!?!

I was expressing the exact same sentiment as Panchitta Marra who said:

"I am dissapointed as there seems to be fuel left in his tank yet he chose to burn it elsewhere"

Are you going to have a pop at PM as well????

FWIW I'd be surprised if there were anything in the rumour as given the strength of his feelings about retiring from the game here he'd be a bit mad to try his hand back in the NRL if he thinks his body has had enough.

Dean Bell has apparently given a firm no comment when asked about signing George. The rumour is though that George is joining NZW as cover for the 3/4qtrs and taking a role mentoring young players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

A year is nothing in the grand scheme of things so I think if he had any doubt about retiring he'd be a Wigan player next year. I am sure he was sincere when he said what he said and that is why he retired.

My view is if there is anything in this rumour it could well have a lot to do with being unemployed being a scary thing.

He has never given us any indication he wanted to play in the NRL or play on beyond this year. Quite the opposite.

I have no idea what he thought he would do when he went home but if this is the only offer on the table I can understand him taking it except he could have carried on here which would have been far easier on him than the NRL will be.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Good luck to George in whatever he decides to do. As far as I am concerned, he owes us nothing.

He came to Wigan for small money and although it improved with his length of service; he has paid the club back many times over. He saw out his contract and played his heart out to the last minute in the last game. When that was up, he didn't go to one of our rivals; but took his family back home.

If the NZ Warriors are prepared to employ him as a mentor, then it can only be to the benefit of the game as a whole. If it means that he plays a few games for NZ Warriors - then good for their fans; because there aren't many players who deserve the support of the fans than George.

Good luck George - you won't be forgotten at Wigan
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Matthew wrote:Good luck to George in whatever he decides to do. As far as I am concerned, he owes us nothing.

He came to Wigan for small money and although it improved with his length of service; he has paid the club back many times over. He saw out his contract and played his heart out to the last minute in the last game. When that was up, he didn't go to one of our rivals; but took his family back home.

If the NZ Warriors are prepared to employ him as a mentor, then it can only be to the benefit of the game as a whole. If it means that he plays a few games for NZ Warriors - then good for their fans; because there aren't many players who deserve the support of the fans than George.

Good luck George - you won't be forgotten at Wigan
:eusa2: :eusa2: