Looking Back - A thread for the owd uns!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kittwazzer

Re: Looking Back - A thread for the owd uns!

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ron Doran wrote:the winky one - And don't forget the rather obese chap that sat, roughly, outside Gorners Cafe in the little arcade. For a tanner he would weigh you on his jockey scales.
Near the 'Bottom Legs'. One of the first pubs I ever got served. I was 15!
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

Kittwazzer - Spot on. Do you remember the rumour that there was a passage that joined the ''Top Legs'' to the ''Bottom Legs'' It turned out to be nonsense. It would have been fitting to put it on our Rumour Mill!
E.& O.E.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ron Doran wrote:Kittwazzer - Spot on. Do you remember the rumour that there was a passage that joined the ''Top Legs'' to the ''Bottom Legs'' It turned out to be nonsense. It would have been fitting to put it on our Rumour Mill!
Remember the legend well. That arcade was ace. I'd challenge anyone to walk through it without stopping to buy - especially if you had kids with you!
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

In Bolton we called them scraps. As the eldest of five it was my job to go to the chippy on Friday for four lots of chips wet wi scraps and two fish one for my dad and one for my mum to share between the rest of us.
Years later when i was a student at Bolton Tech on Manchester road i worked in that chippy on Friday nights went straight out in town after and on to my Saturday morning job at Mrs Housemans cake shop on Deane road still in my slap and false eyelashes,without going to bed and serve the same people from the chippy the night befor with meat growlers and unsliced white tin loaves.
Oh for some of that energy now.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

one of the daft things i did as a kid was go to the parish church(all saints)with my mates every Good Friday dinner time, sign the visitors book thinking it would bring us luck. :D

used to be on the ground for 1 for the 3 o'clock ko. Always kicked off after a minutes silence on Good Friday.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Ron Doran wrote:the winky one - And don't forget the rather obese chap that sat, roughly, outside Gorners Cafe in the little arcade. For a tanner he would weigh you on his jockey scales.
Near the 'Bottom Legs'. One of the first pubs I ever got served. I was 15!

Eeee you little tinker KW....no wonder the world is deteriorating.......didn't there used to be another railway
line somewhere behind the M+S store?..
Also The market at Christmas was brill..A lady was there every year.."Get your Christmas wrapping paper...
6 assorted sheets for two bob"...through the summer it was
"50 pence your large ironing board cover"..

And then of course the old chap with the gammy legs who sold the Observer and Lancashire Post....great memories indeed...gone but not forgotten.. :sad: :sad:
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

the winky one - Aye there was another station, hence Station Road. It was Wigan Central.
E.& O.E.
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

And what about getting a copy of the Sunday paper on a Saturday night in the pub.
E.& O.E.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Ron Doran wrote:the winky one - Aye there was another station, hence Station Road. It was Wigan Central.

Oh yes of course!...forgotten that..is there still part
of it on greenough street?

The winky one..aka Christine...

:wink:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

the winky one wrote:
Ron Doran wrote:the winky one - Aye there was another station, hence Station Road. It was Wigan Central.

Oh yes of course!...forgotten that..is there still part
of it on greenough street?
I remember the station but for the life of me couldn't say exactly where it was or if any trace remains. Which destinations did it take you to?