Even players are fed up with the league format

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Re: Even players are fed up with the league format

Post by BriH »

DaveO wrote:Having a proper incentive to finish top is definitely what is required.

That would make it far harder to coast in the regular season and then do as Hansen suggested Leeds did, turn it on for just five games.

If you have to play harder in the regular season it stands to reason you will be less able to do what Leeds did.

The old top 5 system had it exactly right in this regard in my opinion.
I agree DaveO. I'm old enough to remember the old Top 4 play-offs right at the end of the season and a couple of weeks after the Challenge Cup Final.
These were always very tough matches and attracted huge crowds.
But....everything has changed with Super League etc.
But I still believe with you about finishing top meaning something.
As it is now we effectively have 3 competitions:
Super League
Grand Final Play-offs
The Challenge Cup.
I hate the way the Challenge Cup has been marginalised with all it's history.
For me my first real memory of RL was when Gus Risman paraded the Challenge Cup through Whitehaven!! when 'Town won it in 1952.
Considering the bitter rivalry between the two it was amazing how many people turned up to see it!
You see, we thought it was for Cunberland.
Sorry for rambling on!!

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whelley Warrior wrote:They now have some stupid rules in football, but it does not stop people going to support their club.

In my case, I would like to see the return of promotion/relegation and a better and less team play off competition in our game, but as a loyal supporter, the lack of them does not stop me renewing my support for the club and the game!

If anyone wants to be a fickle supporter, they should watch the Latic's as they will be in good company.
I take great issue with your last comment. I have been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years but have not renewed this time. The reason I have not is that unless the game changes it will die. I am taking a stance to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way the game is run. If more people did this then we would make a difference and force the joke that is the RFL to change. I have received 2 phone calls from the club asking why I haven't renewed I have told them and they were not surprised.

So no I am not fickle and slagging off Latics fans does you no credit. It is about time the two clubs came together and stopped all this petty small minded bickering. Before you ask I am not a Latics supporter but hope they do well.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:They now have some stupid rules in football, but it does not stop people going to support their club.

In my case, I would like to see the return of promotion/relegation and a better and less team play off competition in our game, but as a loyal supporter, the lack of them does not stop me renewing my support for the club and the game!

If anyone wants to be a fickle supporter, they should watch the Latic's as they will be in good company.
I take great issue with your last comment. I have been a season ticket holder for nearly 30 years but have not renewed this time. The reason I have not is that unless the game changes it will die. I am taking a stance to demonstrate my dissatisfaction with the way the game is run. If more people did this then we would make a difference and force the joke that is the RFL to change. I have received 2 phone calls from the club asking why I haven't renewed I have told them and they were not surprised.

So no I am not fickle and slagging off Latics fans does you no credit. It is about time the two clubs came together and stopped all this petty small minded bickering. Before you ask I am not a Latics supporter but hope they do well.
I'm glad you've replied to this naive blinkered comment. The comment about fans being fickle is as wide of the mark as fans saying that those who still buy season tickets, for 27 meaningless games, have more money than sense.

I too have had a couple of phone calls from the club and when I explained my reasons for not renewing, they said that I'm not the first and many others are stating the same reasons.

Long time passionate supporter, yes I still am. Willing to throw hundreds of pounds at something that doesn't really mean anything, in the long term, no I am not.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Oh yes you are, as many more supporters than yourselves are also fed up with many of the bad mistakes which have been made in the game, but have still renew their season tickets because at the end the day, they regard themselves as loyal supporters of what is their club.

What we are getting now is the same kind of excuses not to renew as we got when the club left Central Park, but over the last few season's many have returned and will do so again in spite of the mistakes being made by the RFL.

And if you want to be fickle, than like I said before, join the many hundreds who are supporting a football team just because they are in the Premier League and admission/season tickets are cheap.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Obviously, there's no reasoning with anyone wearing blinkers. As long as you're happy in your little bubble, then good on ya.

Maybe you haven't got anything more meaningful in your life than following Wigan RL, that's fair enough. But I've got many more hobbies that I can spend the money on, that my season ticket would have cost.

East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Sutty wrote:Obviously, there's no reasoning with anyone wearing blinkers. As long as you're happy in your little bubble, then good on ya.

Maybe you haven't got anything more meaningful in your life than following Wigan RL, that's fair enough. But I've got many more hobbies that I can spend the money on, that my season ticket would have cost.
I think it's a hilarious that someone who doesn't know me can call me fickle.

Do you know what fickle means WW?

If you look the word up in a dictionary it will describe someone who frequently changes their mind/allegiance.

I have been a season ticket holder for twenty plus years so I have a bit of a problem with your logic.

WW is obviously one of the elite diehard grade one fans and we are not worthy Sutty.

WW I am sending you a worlds greatest fan badge for Xmas wear it with pride.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

East Stand Faithful wrote:
Sutty wrote:Obviously, there's no reasoning with anyone wearing blinkers. As long as you're happy in your little bubble, then good on ya.

I think it's a hilarious that someone who doesn't know me can call me fickle.

Do you know what fickle means WW?

If you look the word up in a dictionary it will describe someone who frequently changes their mind/allegiance.

I have been a season ticket holder for twenty plus years so I have a bit of a problem with your logic.

WW is obviously one of the elite diehard grade one fans and we are not worthy Sutty.

WW I am sending you a worlds greatest fan badge for Xmas wear it with pride.
The only time I've missed any number of games was in 1998 when I was serving in Bosnia, with the Army. Apart from that, I've been to nearly every home game since my dad took me to my first game in 1986.

I suppose having the intelligence to see what the RFL and Sky have done to the regular season and how it means absolutely nothing these days, hence coming to the (not easy to make) decision about my season ticket renewal, could also be classed as being fickle, by some fans.

If I was an armchair supporter, or one that just jumped on the bandwagon when the club was being successful, then maybe I could be classed as a fickle fan also.

I also have a young family and my wife and daughter aren't really interested in rugby, therefore, I can now spend the money saved on doing something nice, as a family. Again, maybe I'm being fickle for prioritising things that are actually meaningful and important.

I absolutely love one of the signatures on someone's profile on here, it says "never pick an argument with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

markill

Post by markill »

We shoudn't be telling each over what to do. You're all allowed your own opinion but stop calling people fickle or idiots or whatever you choose just because they don't share your opinion or make the same decision about attending a sports event.

And to those who aren't renewing, maybe people who are different to you think the value they get is the night out at the rugby, the chance to watch sport whether it decides who wins a tropht on the night or not, the chance to do something for themsleves at the end of a long week.

Everyone just pick up yours toys. Lets discuss the opinions without the name calling.

Merry Christmas
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

markill wrote:We shoudn't be telling each over what to do. You're all allowed your own opinion but stop calling people fickle or idiots or whatever you choose just because they don't share your opinion or make the same decision about attending a sports event.

And to those who aren't renewing, maybe people who are different to you think the value they get is the night out at the rugby, the chance to watch sport whether it decides who wins a tropht on the night or not, the chance to do something for themsleves at the end of a long week.

Everyone just pick up yours toys. Lets discuss the opinions without the name calling.

Merry Christmas
But he started it :lol: :wink:

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sutty wrote:
markill wrote:We shoudn't be telling each over what to do. You're all allowed your own opinion but stop calling people fickle or idiots or whatever you choose just because they don't share your opinion or make the same decision about attending a sports event.

Merry Christmas
But he started it :lol: :wink:
Oh no he didn't!! :wink: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan