Ian Thornley?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Ian Thornley?

Post by Wes »

CP and others who have seen him regularly, do you think he is good enough to play in the centre spot this year at a consistent level so Hughes can be back in the pack to cover for hocks loan move?

What options would people like to see?
No straw damn us

Re: Ian Thornley?

Post by No straw damn us »

29wes28 wrote:CP and others who have seen him regularly, do you think he is good enough to play in the centre spot this year at a consistent level so Hughes can be back in the pack to cover for hocks loan move?

What options would people like to see?
As a strike centre yes, as a wingers centre no. On the bright side this maybe just the opportunity for Greg Burke to step up in the pack. The centre position is a major concern for me, I do think we should have signed Joel Moon.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Do you think it's the best option then Cherry Thornley to Centre, Hughes to the pack?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:Do you think it's the best option then Cherry Thornley to Centre, Hughes to the pack?
I do but Wane won't do it IMO. Hughes has the no 4 on his back so that is where he will play.

I liked what I saw of Burke in the Salford game but it would be a big ask to step right up.

What about Flower? He is really a back rower anyway not a prop.
BigJeffLima

Post by BigJeffLima »

in last years game when he played as winger he didnt look interested and did not have enought aggression for my liking. Clarkey also picked up on the lack of aggression.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I personally don't rate Flower but Wane does.

I think Hughes will be the most consistent at centre but we may need him in the pack more.

What would people's starting pack and subs be?
Wes

Post by Wes »

I agree with your comparison of flower and Tuson they are similar in style and both not that good.

Tuson went backwards last year IMO. Whilst I rate Farrell I feel his strengths are coming off the bench after that 20 minute wrestle, he is very agile and runs great lines but he isn't a big dominating player and he can tend to fall off tackles against bigger players and has to go in for the 2nd effort.

Gelling/Hughes would be my , maybe even SoL at 2nd row and Farrell at 13.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Be interesting to see if Burke makes the grade this year, what's his physical size like?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

What's size got to do with it. A few years ago, Leeds had a small prop forward called Steve Pitchford who was known as the pocket battleship, but boy, what a good prop he was.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ian Thornley is a classic centre IMO. The nearest potentially this country has had to Neil Fox. However, He is some way from being that at the present time. Fans should not expect somebody who looks like a bundle of frenetic energy. Power and speed building up nicely is his forte. As a youngster Thornley was seen as the equal of Owen Farrell.

Greg Burke is an outstanding talent. He has an incredible RL brain because he seems to have been playing RL since he could walk. His game know how is frightening.

A powerful broad build means he can play prop if need be but he is better suited to the back row IMO. The one area he needs to work on is leg speed BUT what you have is a fantastic reader of the game, very calm, good communicator, leadership qualities and all the skills defensively and offensively. He can even place kick. Away from RL, academically very intelligent, superb family background.

If he makes it into the first team he will be there for a decade or longer.