Harrison Hansen

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Ron Doran

Re: Harrison Hansen

Post by Ron Doran »

Kittwazzer - If it is Les Bolton I too am sorry about his condition. I also knew him as a young man.
E.& O.E.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ron Doran wrote:Kittwazzer - If it is Les Bolton I too am sorry about his condition. I also knew him as a young man.
Its totally tragic Ron. To look at him, you'd say early 40s- he's kept himself in good shape. When I spoke with him a couple of years ago he spoke openly about being diagnosed early onset. At that point, he was still driving and going to the gym 3 times a week.

Now his mind has gone completely. So very sad!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cow yeds wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:
cow yeds wrote: Are you for real?? :conf:
I agree with him.
How many of the ones he named from the past would get into todays side?

I'm guessing he means Keith Holden, David Bolton.
If he means those two they would waltz into any team any era..
I think he meant Les Bolton and Keith Holden (jnr) so I would agree with him. Sorry to hear about Les Boltons health.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

No straw damn us wrote:
cow yeds wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: I agree with him.
How many of the ones he named from the past would get into todays side?

I'm guessing he means Keith Holden, David Bolton.
If he means those two they would waltz into any team any era..
I think he meant Les Bolton and Keith Holden (jnr) so I would agree with him. Sorry to hear about Les Boltons health.
True i had forgotten Les and young Holden. It's an age thing :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Wigan have had far worse halfbacks since the seventies than what we have now in Green, Smith, Powell, Hampshire, Williams.

Remember Fairhurst, Flowers, Coyle, Walsh, Sayer, Bolton, Holden, Murdock, Foster, Cannon, Florimo, Reber, Moran, Matthew Johns etc
Cow Yeds is correct. In Australia they regularly state there is a dearth of half backs being produced.

Likewise WW is right / wrong. I think the present half backs are quality. Potentially the best being the youngest. Shame, young Taylor suffered such misfortune re injury and has slipped off the radar to be even forgotten by Wigan's No1 fan, WW :wink:

WW is right. The 70's decade was largely a poor one for Wigan and that is reflected in several of the names he mentions.

MM is then wrong to try to prove a point by extending his list into the 80's / 90's. REMEMBER WW you said 70s then used 80s / 90s players! Coincedence that the best players played in top eras, the worst in bad eras or just what you would expect?

Holden was a decent 7 IMO but held back by injury. Cannon had ability on a par with possibly Green. Murdoh was heralded by Wally Lewis and cam into Wigan v 2 greats and an era ending. Why no mention of Ford or Goulding? Florimo at his best as a centre IMO was a test player / NSW rep - a quality player. Matty Johns had great talent, gained some rep honours despite being the brother of an all time great. Moran was good in the right team, bad in Wigan during a very poor era (Reber was signed as a utility, more a hooker and he was very poor IMO.

Moreover, if you want to go to the 80s and 90s why no mention of Kenny, Ella or Lam ????? You could get some scope from Paul or Wright but you did not mention them.

P.S anybody remember the old amateur 7 that filled the West guiding light role in the Alliance in the Monie era?

You need to up your game WW :wink:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan

So do you judging by your comments.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:cpwigan

So do you judging by your comments.
By all means point out where to me. It would mean you have an opinion which would be a huge step up from your current persona. We are here to debate and I am an opinionated SOB so bring your A game :wink: