Brigantes

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Aaron C. Rescue

Re: Brigantes

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

bill.inger wrote: I recall a thread that ran for a few weeks during Maguires time at Wigan on this very subject. The drummer featured briefly on this site and gave, at the time, reasonably plausible excuses for their existence.
The concensus of opinion was that there is no need for a breakaway group of supporters to demonstrate how patriotic we all are. At the time, we were playing a style of rugby which didn't endear us to other clubs' supporters and the actions of a few fans caused problems for the rest of us when we were at away games.
Flag-waving supporters steaming through town centres' doesn't seem to happen now but drunken anti social behaviour at the away ground appears to be this years 'in thing'. We don't need that.
It seems that the Brigantes have spawned a second generation of hooligans who need reining in and if the Brigantes can't, then the club ought to step in firmly on this before it gets out of hand.

I believe they will.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I see the Latic's orientated WEP has highlighted the incidents. Pity they ignore the regular bad behaviour of their moran element.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A POLICE investigation has been launched after trouble flared during Wigan Warriors’ trip to Huddersfield Giants at the weekend.

Fighting broke out in the away section of the ground during the 22-10 Super League defeat to the table-topping Yorkshiremen.

According to reports, a flare was set off and then a number of visiting supporters were seen fighting among themselves.

Stewards attended to try and calm matters down but the violence left many younger fans upset and scared and attracted considerable criticism for casting a shadow over a sport which prides itself in its family appeal.

Wigan Warriors today vowed to find those involved in the trouble and are assisting both Huddersfield Giants and West Yorkshire police in an inquiry to single out those involved.

Officials from the club have since travelled to Yorkshire to scrutinise CCTV footage.

A club spokesman said: “We have been made aware of the incident and are making our own investigations.

“Any negative or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated as we are a family club and a family sport. Club staff have been across to Huddersfield and are looking at CCTV footage and once we know further details or information we will deal accordingly.”

Many Wigan fans took to internet messageboards and Twitter, condemning the actions of the minority of fans who let the club down.

One tweeter wrote: “Wigan fans fighting between each other. And to top it off children being pushed about! So embarrassed! #scumbags #disgrace #wiganwarriors”.

Another fan said: “Disappointed and embarrassed to read a minority of Wigan Rugby fans were scrapping at the game.”

And one Warriors supporter added: “It did not look good. There was a smoke bomb or something and then they started fighting in lumps. Lasted a good while too. Kept bubbling back up. Not good.”

A spokesman for Huddersfield Giants declined to comment on the matter while West Yorkshire police carry out their investigations.
Taken from Ancient & Loyal page on Facebook, though I haven't seen anything else anywhere
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

If there's CCTV footage, the clubs should publish their pictures. Name and shame the scum that are bringing disrepute to our fanbase, club and game. :angry:

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I see the Latic's orientated WEP has highlighted the incidents. Pity they ignore the regular bad behaviour of their moran element.
In fairness, Latics don't take enough fans away to cause bother. They confine their yobbery to the DW, hence the enhanced police presence!
markill

Post by markill »

I didn't even see any trouble and I was in the next section along from the brigantes or ultras or whatever they call themselves. Maybe I was paying too much attention to the game. Having noise and singing throughout the game isn't a bad thing, flares aren't great but they aren't really the worst thing ever either as long as they are handled safely I suppose. But fighting and getting a bad name for ourselves isn't on. There is too much of a 'lets get drunk and go swear at people' culture in this group of support from the comments you see and pictures posted on social media and now reporst of their actions are stcking up that way too. shame.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Markhill: from what I've been told it was the setting of of the Flare that started the fighting initially , I believe it's a criminal offence to set off flares inside a sports stadium ( correct me if I'm wrong ) .

I myself was sat at the very first get together of the guys when the flag idea was suggested a few years back in the Brockett and I can say that at no point was it even intended to form a group of hooligans , it was done to try to bring a sense of " home " to the DW stadium with the hanging of the large flags from the gantry . It's a shame that the minority have spoilt it over time .

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

chnwh

Post by chnwh »

Section 6 of the DW Stadium safety regulations states:

6. Fireworks, flares, gas canisters, air horns, knives, bottles, glasses, cans, poles and any articles that might be used as a weapon and / or compromise public safety are not permitted in the ground by any servant or agent of the club or any Police Officer.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Why this group has chose to call themselves Brigante's when in Roman times, their 'Kingdom' was what is now 'Yorkshire' is mystery to me.

Perhaps they should be made to live among the Yorkie's as a punishment!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Why this group has chose to call themselves Brigante's when in Roman times, their 'Kingdom' was what is now 'Yorkshire' is mystery to me.

Perhaps they should be made to live among the Yorkie's as a punishment!
Looks like their area of control also covered Lancashire and Wigan in particular too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigantes
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐