who is to blame ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
marcus c

who is to blame ?

Post by marcus c »

So who is to blame for the current state of affairs with the first team ?
I have every sympathy with Ian Millward as he is on a hiding to nothing at present. The future looks bright with some of the youngsters coming through the ranks, however we have major problems this season. The loss of key players this season through injury has not helped but surely Maurice Lindsay and the board must take a long look at themselves for letting a large number of experienced players leave the club last season, and replaced with at best second-rate players who are clearly not up to the job,and have left wigan in real danger of a relegation dogfight.
Since Andy Farrell's departure from the club, there is no leadership on the field, and no real inspiration from the rest of the players. It seems to me that they have relied on farrell's skills and presence for far too long.
It also concerns me that the signing for next season so far, seem to lack quality, has anyone else heard of Pat Richards ? and as for Bryan Fletcher, an Aussie coming to the end of his career ?
I hope we stay up and that Ian Millward is given time and money to re-build the side, because he is one of the best coaches in the business and can turn the club around and back to it's past winning ways !
Any Comment ?
mike binder

Re: who is to blame ?

Post by mike binder »

well come aboard marcus ,but if you can spend a little time reading some of the other post ,you will no the majority of us agree with what you have just said. :cool:

mike b
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

millward has plenty of experience coaching in nl1...... :)
only joking.......lindsay came out with a cracking comment on the warroirs website that being that he went through this with the GB side......is he actually serious?????
maurice lindsay is a pixie
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Pat Richards is ok scored 2 try the other week and another try this week but he's not quick although appearntly he can kick drop outs well over 50 meters.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Dreamer posted:
millward has plenty of experience coaching in nl1...... :)
only joking.......lindsay came out with a cracking comment on the warroirs website that being that he went through this with the GB side......is he actually serious?????
i read that :lol: as well funny isnt he(not) :(
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

what happens to our new signings if we go down.....from NRL TO NL1........
maurice lindsay is a pixie
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

adrenalinxx posted:
Pat Richards is ok scored 2 try the other week and another try this week but he's not quick although appearntly he can kick drop outs well over 50 meters.
Apparently he was the fastest player in the NRL a couple of years ago and has lost some of his pace because of his injuries. But he can't have lost all his pace and will probably still be as quick as your average winger.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Dreamer posted:
They won't come!
We would also lose every player of SL standard who had any ambition to further their career. So in a stroke Lockers, Hock, Rads, Carney, Newton, Brown, blah blah blah! Gone in a stroke.

And we think this team is bad.
Try the NL1 standard fayre!
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

i would like to ask marcus WHAT BOARD??/?? :blush:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dreamer posted:
When a team gets relegated all the players contracts become null and void. So there will be a clause in the contracts of the overseas signings saying the same thing.

It doesn't bare thinking about because not only would we lose the overseas players but also players like Hock and O'Loughlin.

All the work in bringing such players to the game would be lost and the club would lose not only the rubbish but any decent player we have or have produced ourselves.

I had a discussion about player development on RLfans with a Wakefield supporter. Their cheif exec has gone on record as saying they will not invest in bringing players through, but will rely on imports etc because they can't afford the risk of relegation.

At the time I slagged Wakey off for a short sighted attitude but as we stare the prospect of relegation in the face I can their point.

If we go down all that investment will be for nothing because we won't be allowed to keep the players. Other teams who have relied mainly on signing players from outside the club who are the ready made article of adiqute but not outstanding quality will still be in SL.

We would only keep them if they agreed to play on vastly reduced salaries due to the £300K a year NL1 salary cap. That won't happen because as professional RL players their careers are too short to be messing about in NL1 even if only for a season.

Dave