Blake Confident of Young Forwards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Blake Confident of Young Forwards

Post by josie andrews »

Warriors stand-off Blake Green is confident that the young forwards within the Wigan squad can compensate for the injury to Lee Mossop.

The England forward suffered a dislocated shoulder in Sunday's 48-18 defeat of the London Broncos and could miss up to 12 weeks of action. However, with the likes of Dom Crosby, James Greenwood and Tom Spencer waiting in the wings, Green believes that the Wigan pack will remain strong.

Speaking in his bi-weekly blog, he commented;

"It's a blow for him (Mossop) and the team as I'd say he's been the guy who has led our front row so far this season. He's a grafter though and has had this kind of injury before so I know he's going to do everything he can to get back and fresh to help us out later in the season.

"We've got some injuries in the forwards at the moment but the younger guys are really showing what they can do and it's great to have such strength in depth. It's not an ideal situation but they've all been excellent so far and it will certainly help us in the long run."

To read the full blog [click here] or click the button in the bottom right hand corner of the homepage.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Blake Confident of Young Forwards

Post by josie andrews »

BLAKES BLOG

Blakes Blog - 3

26/02/2013 10:51:37

Hey guys, how's it goin?

I suppose I'd say we're content with how it went on Sunday, it wasn't a great performance by any means and we weren't happy with the first half but we were professional in the second half and got the win and also managed to keep them scoreless which is a bonus.

The win was soured somewhat by the injury to Moose (Lee Mossop) who popped his shoulder and looks set to be out for around 12 weeks, it's a blow for him and the team as I'd say he's been the guy who has led our front row so far this season. He's a grafter though and has had this kind of injury before so I know he's going to do everything he can to get back and fresh to help us out later in the season.

We've got some injuries in the forwards at the moment but the younger guys are really showing what they can do and it's great to have such strength in depth. It's not an ideal situation but they've all been excellent so far and it will certainly help us in the long run.

The Huddersfield game the week before was very frustrating to say the least, looking back we just didn't execute our plays well enough and needed to be more aggressive at certain points in the game. We need to learn from it and I think we will.

I can't do this without mentioning the internet sensation that is the Harlem Shake video, we had no idea when we did it that it would be such a hit. We don't get much chance to let our hairdown whilst at work but it was a great laugh making the video and I hope you enjoyed it. The person who starts it off was actually.... haha that will remain a mystery but I'm sure one or two of you will may have guessed it right.

I read somewhere earlier that Liam Farrell has made 115 tackles in four games this season and not missed one...that's impressive stuff from the Ginger Ninja but he has missed something recently, the crossbar in our crossbar challenge competition. It was Faz's turn to get the coffees in this last week as he lost out to Moose in the final shootout, he was not happy about it!

Congrats to Melbourne on their win in the World Club Challenge on Friday, it was a great game and I'm really excited about the prospect of them expanding the tournament. I think it would really help the game over here and around the world if we were able to have the top four from the NRL and Super League play off. More big games equals more sponsors, more tv money and hopefully some big crowds which can only be healthy for Rugby League. I hope they're able to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Right I'm done with recovery today and got the day off tomorrow so I'm gonna head up to Hull now to see Dobbo (Michael Dobson) for the evening.

Catch you later
Greeny

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WBlogp.aspx?id=16
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
markill

Post by markill »

I'm feeling inclined to agree you know. Look at the big wins against big teams last year (say, away at Saints, away at Leeds as examples) and you'll see the likes of Spencer and Crosby on the team sheet. And in my opinion Dudson is as good as we have and I'd probably choose Flower and Taylor ahead of Prescott and Lauaki anyway. Just my opinion though. Mossop is a miss but its a position we have depth if not experience. Play to their talent levels and we should win more than we lose.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Richards backs Warriors youngsters

BIRTHDAY boy Pat Richards is backing Wigan’s youngsters to keep their Super League charge on track over the next few weeks.

Lee Mossop became the latest frontline forward to be added to the injury-list after dislocating his shoulder in last Sunday’s win against London.

Paul Prescott, Epa Lauaki and Harrison Hansen are also on the sidelines.

But Richards – 31 today – reckons they have enough strength in reserve to cover for their loss.

Greg Burke, who made his debut this season, and Dom Crosby both figured on Sunday and off-season recruit Scott Taylor is likely to come back into the frame.

Shaun Wane is also expected to recall front-rower Tom Spencer from his loan stint at Leigh.

Richards said: “We’ve got a good culture here now. One goes out, another comes in and he knows exactly what he needs to do.

“We’re a bit short of bodies now, it’s unfortunate for Lee and the other boys who are out, but it gives these guys an oppurtunity to get some games under their belt.

“We’re going to need them. It’s good we’ve got so many younsters we can throw in there. It’s exciting for the future of the club.”

Richards has backed them to try and prove their value to the side, saying those four players – all aged 21 or under – have a chance to cement a regular place.

“I remember I got my chance at Parramatta halfway through the year, and I ended up staying in the side,” he said.

“It’s the same here. We’ve seen the progression of Josh Charnley in the last couple of years.

“Look at Liam Farrell – he’s still a younng man but he has probably been our best player so far this year.

“He has been outstanding. When Gaz Hock left, a lot of people said, ‘you’re going to miss him’. Gaz is a class players, but Faz is a different player who is doing his own thing and he’s effective.

“He’s quite unassuming but he gets his job done – at such a young age he’s mature.

“You never know how they’re going to go until you put the players in there.”

If there’s one drawback to the influx of youngsters, however, it is that highlights that Richards is the oldest player in the squad.

He grinned: “I don’t think 31 is old, but there’s no-one older – it shows what a yong squad we have. It bodes well for the club.”

WIGAN Warriors have received an initial allocation of 1,536 tickets for the fixture against Leeds Rhinos at Headingly on March 15.

They went on sale to existing seasonal members on Monday and remaining tickets will be released to Loyal 18 members today before going on general sale next Monday.

Adult tickets are priced at £20 (£27 seating), over-65s at £13 (£20 seating), students at £13 (£20 seating), under-16s at £12 (£19 seating), ambulant disabled £13 (£20 seating), including free carer if eligible, wheelchair disabled £13 (Carnegie Stand only), including free carer. Under-16s season ticket holders will gain free entry upon production of voucher eight.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5447719