What a bloody Farce our game is

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

What a bloody Farce our game is

Post by josie andrews »

Scotland set to offer Danny Brough a World Cup spot after England snub

Scotland are ready to offer Danny Brough the chance to play in this autumn's World Cup after his exclusion from the elite training squad that has been announced by the England coach, Steve McNamara.

The Huddersfield scrum-half was proud to captain the Scots to a shock win against Fiji in the 2008 World Cup in Australia, his Glaswegian ancestry giving him the opportunity to play for them for the first time four years earlier.

Despite that, the Yorkshireman appeared to have turned his back on Scotland when he accepted selection in an England squad for the first time in March 2011 in the hope of playing in the Four Nations series at the end of that year.

However, an ankle injury scuppered those plans, and although he was selected in an experimental England team for the second International Origin match against the Exiles last summer, he is understood to have been omitted not only from the elite training squad but also from a list of 40 names that McNamara was required to submit to World Cup organisers last month.

That would seem to confirm that Brough is well down McNamara's pecking order, and has opened the way for the 30-year-old to return to the Scotland set-up.

"We're still looking through our selection options, and we won't be rushing to Danny to make his mind up straight away," said the Scotland coach, Steve McCormack.

"But I do know from the way he led us in the last World Cup that he is genuinely committed to Scotland. I don't blame him for the decision he made about England, because playing in the Four Nations was something we couldn't offer him at that stage. We've always got on well, and I'm sure we'll be having a chat."

McCormack also dropped an intriguing hint that James McManus, the Banff-born wing who has been a regular for the Newcastle Knights in Australia's National Rugby League for several seasons, may be ready to make his Scotland debut in this year's tournament.

"I have been speaking to some players from the NRL and James is one of those, although it's important we maintain the right balance for the long-term future of the Scotland set-up," he added.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ma ... eldgiants?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Re: What a bloody Farce our game is

Post by BriH »

When it comes to 'nationality' I agree but......there all at it!
markill

Post by markill »

Its not just Rugby League, all sports are pretty similar. Football maybe not as much, but look at cricket, union, even the athletes at the olympics. Would we not rather see competitive matches at the world cup and notable players in all squads? Brough has played for Scotland before and never played for England, just been in squads. I don't see the big issue in this one.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Players should only be allowed to play for the country in which they were born and the only exception should be players born in another country where a parent or parents were serving in the armed forces/diplomatic service, working on a contract abroad or granted political asylum.

Now we have a farce of players being allowed to play for other countries by Grandparents, marrying a resident of a country or even just living in a country for a short period of time.

jobo

Post by jobo »

It is a farce but everyone is at it. Look at RU and athletics. Even the Aussie RL side has players not born in Australia, as if they needed them.
markill

Post by markill »

I wrote this in the off season about international eligibility rules: http://www.goatsport.com/2013/01/the-cu ... igibility/

I think this type of thing highlights the issues with players being entitled to elect which country they play for and they can change in quite a short space of time who they will play for

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
markill

Post by markill »

I've just gone on to BBC website and seen this incredible example from the other code: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21691954

Tongan? Kiwi? Aussie? Welsh? English? who should these two lads be allowed to play for?

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

whelley Warrior forgot to say in the case of Welsh selection You've been to Rhyl for a holiday
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

devon jim 1 - And that is spot on.
E.& O.E.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Isn't one of our contributors a certain "Kiwi" Seddon? And as loyal a Wigan fan as you could ever find.

So did our detractors worry when Greg Rusedski played for GB, or Mo Farah won gold? etc etc.

Just because we have sea all round our island doesn't mean we have to be so insular. The International Rules are designed to accommodate people who either work abroad or have connections with a different land. Get over it!
Stevethegas