Salford City Reds sack head coach Phil Veivers

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Salford City Reds sack head coach Phil Veivers

Post by cpwigan »

Right or wrong the guy has certainly started to shake RL up. I quite like his attitude, long may it continue.

Much of what he said re the salary cap was correct and he then made some credible suggestions.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

No Coach at Wigan has ever been sacked in the the way Veivers has been after the way he struggle with a depleted squad in a period of administration. The least the new owner could have done was to ask him to take a different role in the club if he did not want him as first team Coach.

Like I have said, he has a lot to learn about our game!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:No Coach at Wigan has ever been sacked in the the way Veivers has been after the way he struggle with a depleted squad in a period of administration. The least the new owner could have done was to ask him to take a different role in the club if he did not want him as first team Coach.

Like I have said, he has a lot to learn about our game!
He may have been offered one and did not accept

Dennis Betts?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:I did CP. Murphy gave me my first trip to Wembley and one of the best days of my life.

Clarke/McInnes followed up with my first experience of a Wembley win. All shabbily treated, as were George Fairbairn, Graeme West and Uncle Frank!
I remember wondering why Clarke/McInnes were replaced and for that matter why Mick Ford who at 18 had a very good CC final opposite Peter Sterling also wasn't seen as the future no 7 for Wigan.

History shows replacing them with better coaches players when they became available was the right thing to do. Lowe laid the foundations for over a decade of success for example. I doubt the Clarke/McInnes duo would have done the same.

So in my view the ruthless approach taken with these two was justified but IMO I think it was very different to how West and for that matter Endacott were treated. Those two got replaced far more for the sake of it IMO whereas Lowe's arrival was part of a well thought out ambitious plan.

We will see if IL has the same kind of vision for the club that brought Lowe here or if he wants to be loyal to his coaches for the sake of it.

He was more then generous to Noble who was already past his sell by date in my opinion but even if Noble had managed a CC win I think IL would have still been justified in bringing in Madge to take the club to the next level in the same way saying bye to Clarke/McInnes was done for that reason.

Be interesting to see if he would be as ruthless with Wane as the gang of four were with Clarke/McInnes if the chance to employ someone such as Bellamy presented itself.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Salford search for Veivers successor

Salford City Reds have confirmed they are looking down under for a new head coach but say caretaker boss Alan Hunte will get the chance to stake his claim for the job.

The 42-year-old former Great Britain centre, who had a distinguished club career with St Helens, Hull FC and Warrington Wolves, has stepped up from his role of head of youth development to take temporary charge of the City Reds following the sacking of Phil Veivers.

Veivers paid the price for Friday's 38-4 home defeat by London Broncos which plunged them to the foot of the Super League table after five rounds.

Salford chief executive Ed Farish confirmed this morning that Sean Long will remain as assistant coach, helping Hunte prepare the team for Sunday's game at Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, as they begin in earnest the search for Veivers' successor.

"We're trying to get the best man for the job," Farish said. "There's a few coming out of the woodwork. I'm not going to name names but we're talking to a few people.

"Alan is interim coach, he's going to get a shot at the role. It's all about results."

Former Great Britain coach Brian Noble is thought to be interested in the vacancy but Farish confirmed the club were also looking overseas for their new man.

New director Andrew Chalmers and director of rugby Graham Lowe, who were both recruited by chairman Marwan Koukash at the time of his successful takeover of the club in February, both flew back to their native New Zealand after Friday's match and today ex-Kiwi international Tony Iro became the latest name to be linked with the post.

Iro, 45, who played for Wigan under Lowe, is currently without a club after leaving his role as assistant coach of New Zealand Warriors at the end of last season and is working full-time for the New Zealand Rugby League as high performance manager in the build-up to the 2013 World Cup.

Farish said the search for a new coach is being led by the "board as a whole".

Meanwhile, the Reds are still waiting for a response from Gold Coast Titans centre or second rower Luke O'Dwyer to their offer of a three-year contract.

Following the arrival last week of Manly Sea Eagles forward Vic Mauro and his half-back team-mate Liam Foran, Salford have made a centre or full-back their next priority and say the 30-year-old O'Dwyer is their chief target.

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=46723
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:We followed the same route BUT I for one am very glad the 4 directors were brave enough in the 80s to transform our club with bold brave decisions.
I was at the Shareholders meeting the night they were voted in and the deadwood voted out. I remember Martin Ryan (RIP) making a last minute impassioned plea to be allowed to remain on the gravy train!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Whelley Warrior wrote:From what I have seen so far, I am beginning to think that he is someone not to be trusted in our game.

Why for example, did he not offered his money to his own town of St Helens who are not exactly in the best of financial health these days, or did he ?
Why would he offer his money to Saints? McManus isn't going anywhere, Koukash bought Salford as a business, everything apart from the ground. He does however, seem to have a lack of understanding about our game. His claim that Salford will win a trophy within two years is laughable IMO.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Sorry, but as far as I am concerned, he is the kind of owner we are now seeing in football and will want all his own way.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Sorry, but as far as I am concerned, he is the kind of owner we are now seeing in football and will want all his own way.
Does the owner of Leeds, the owner of Saints, the owner of Hull not all want their own way? Have owners ever changed? Are they any different in RL from Football, apart from in your imagination?

Would Salford or Bradford exist today if we waited for your so called kind of owners?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

What's the latest on Martin Gleeson? Heard he'd signed but it all seems to have gone quiet!