Warriors Name 19 to Face Dragons

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name 19 to Face Dragons

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are back in action at the DW Stadium this Friday evening with an 8pm kick off against the Catalan Dragons.

The sides have made similar starts to the season and after 5 rounds are level on 7 points along with Warrington Wolves, the Giants currently lead on 8 points.

Wigan will check on a couple of players as the week progresses but Shaun Wane has named the same 19 that ran out winners at Castleford last Sunday.Skipper Sean O'Loughlin suffered a hamstring injury in Sunday's 28-22 win at Castleford. Chris Tuson (hip) and Dom Crosby (concussion) also suffered knocks, but are expected to play.

Shaun Wane said on Tuesday in the pre-match press conference,

"I'll assess Lockers in our final training session."

Wigan 19 Man Squad v Catalan Dragons

(in alphabetical order)

Greg Burke, Josh Charnley, Dom Crosby, Gil Dudson, Liam Farrell, Ben Flower, Blake Green, Jack Hughes, Michael McIlorum, Sean O'Loughlin, Sam Powell, Pat Richards, Matty Smith, Rhodri Lloyd, Scott Taylor, Iain Thornley, Logan Tomkins, Sam Tomkins, Chris Tuson

Referee - Phil Bentham

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Warriors Name 19 to Face Dragons

Post by josie andrews »

Spencer in to ease prop shortage

TOM Spencer is to be recalled from his loan spell at Leigh to help bolster Wigan’s depleted front-row.

Shaun Wane last night confirmed Spencer will come into his selection plans for Friday’s home clash against Catalans.

He made the decision after Dom Crosby suffered a head knock in Sunday’s exciting 28-22 win at Castleford, placing him in doubt.

Crosby, 22, will need to pass a cognitive test to face the Dragons and, with his front-row department already thin-bare, Wane was left with little choice than to call on Spencer, who has played in five matches for the Centurions.

He said: “Tom’s coming back to us.

“He’s spent a month at Leigh on loan and we’ve watched all of his games.

“They’re well-coached by Paul Rowley and we’ve given him feedback from the footage as well.

“There are areas in his game he needs to work on, but I could say that for every player.”

Academy-product Spencer made his Wigan debut last year and went on to figure three more times.

Wane is certainly lacking some experience in the front-row, with Epa Lauaki yet to figure this year after a leg problem and both Lee Mossop (shoulder) and Paul Prescott (back) suffering early-season injuries.

Prescott was due to undergo an operation today and though a detailed recovery time-frame won’t be known for a few days, he is expected to be sidelined for several weeks.

At 25, Ben Flower was the oldest prop to figure in Sunday’s win in Yorkshire.

“I thought all our forwards played well,” said half-back Matty Smith about the gutsy win.

“They worked hard and laid the foundations for us, and we needed them to because it was a tough win.

“There won’t be many teams go to Castleford this year and get the win.”

Meanwhile, Wane has become the latest Super League coach to criticise Salford for sacking coach Phil Veivers just five games into the new season.

The pair worked closely together at Wigan.

“I was shocked, and disappointed,” said Wane. “Phil’s a mate of mine and I’m gutted for him. I think it’s poor – the way he handled himself while they were going through all of their (financial) problems was exemplary.”

All WIGAN’S six England internationals have retained their place in Steve McNamara’s 30-man elite training squad.

Josh Charnley, Liam Farrell, Mike McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Sean O’Loughlin and Sam Tomkins were all in the panel for last autumn’s international series against France and Wales.

Gareth Hock, now on loan at Widnes, is retained.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5468031
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wes

Post by Wes »

Anyone any idea why spencer is not in the 19?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Think it's to see if Dom Crosby is okay.

But surprised to see Lockers named in the squad for Friday :conf:
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

no mention anywhere on Goulding, official site has him down as fully fit,which is obviously not correct, anyone any news ?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Still trying to find out :(
Second Row

Post by Second Row »

has he left the country Josie ? I usually see a couple of his family at the match tonight so I will ask them how he is going on, thanks anyway
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Second Row wrote:has he left the country Josie ? I usually see a couple of his family at the match tonight so I will ask them how he is going on, thanks anyway
Let me know if you find out please :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Still no update about injuries regarding Tuson, Crosby & of course Lockers :(
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

The price on Catalan to win this match is 3/1 - which is very generous considering the state of our pack.

Just can't see Wigan being such favourites with so many players out, and being up against a fearsome forward-line that the Catalans have.

Even if Lockers, Tuson and Crosby are declared fit to play we're still relying on a lot of young and relatively raw talent to go against the Catalan pack. A big ask.

I'm hoping they can do it of course, but I've put a bet on Catalan to win at those odds. Just too much value not to really. It's a bet I'll be happy to lose though.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.