Super League Show: The Wigan St Patrick's dynasty

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League Show: The Wigan St Patrick's dynasty

Post by josie andrews »

The BBC's Super League Show profiles Wigan St Patrick's - the amateur club that has produced a number of England internationals in both rugby codes.

Current Wigan Warriors and England stars Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley and Sean O'Loughlin played for the club as youngsters, as did current England rugby union international Owen Farrell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21669700
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Re: Super League Show: The Wigan St Patrick's dynasty

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:The BBC's Super League Show profiles Wigan St Patrick's - the amateur club that has produced a number of England internationals in both rugby codes.

Current Wigan Warriors and England stars Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley and Sean O'Loughlin played for the club as youngsters, as did current England rugby union international Owen Farrell.

Loved that bloke from Pats. Could you get any more Wigan than him!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
josie andrews wrote:The BBC's Super League Show profiles Wigan St Patrick's - the amateur club that has produced a number of England internationals in both rugby codes.

He was a real character. Liked his comments about Wane as a player.

Those photos on the walls were also a fantastic collection. I hope someone has had the presence of mind to digitize them all for safe keeping.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Thad haft fort wawk far fort find honeyone moor wigan.
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Pats is a great institution and a treasure to RL in the UK, but let us not forget, they do have a wee reputation of taking kids in there prime from other clubs in the Wigan area. Mostly because "pats" is the place you will be "spotted" so the kids want to go there. Massive club and massive respect to them.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Can't argue with that. Not all of Pats' successes started out there!
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

Kittwazzer wrote:Can't argue with that. Not all of Pats' successes started out there!
Correct, they are not as 'loved & respected' among the rest of Wigans amateur rugby community as a lot of people would have you believe.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

I agree, they have poached players for years and the old you wont get signed unless your playing at Pats has been going on for as long as I can remember.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

slimshady wrote:I agree, they have poached players for years and the old you wont get signed unless your playing at Pats has been going on for as long as I can remember.
Usually starts with Service Area games. Pats coaches show up and decide who they want. Then they tell their players who to target!