Daz Goulding To Return At Leeds?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Daz Goulding To Return At Leeds?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

If Daz plays who would you leave out? Should Waney change a winning team?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
markill

Re: Daz Goulding To Return At Leeds?

Post by markill »

Yes we should change a team to put in a better player. DG is a better centre than JH. Although I wouldn't have brought him in, I'd keep Tuson as he's been going pretty well, and I'd leave out Burke even though it would be unfortunate for him - however, injuries always come up and go away so the decision who to leave out can always be rendered moot by injury elsewhere.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Daz hasn't been injured though, he's been ill. I'd let him sit this one out!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:If Daz plays who would you leave out? Should Waney change a winning team?
If recovered from his illness he needs to play. We have really missed him on that side of the pitch. Hughes is the obvious one to miss out but that would depend on whether or not anyone in the back row of the pack was deemed less than 100% and Hughes got their slot.

Given how well Thornley, Burke and Tuscon have done I fear Hughes won't be able to get a game with Daz fit so that No.4 jersey may start to look a bit of a poisoned chalice for Hughes.
grahamwarrior

Post by grahamwarrior »

Daz should play he was nearly ready last week ! Charley missed him on that side of the pitch
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Been told tonight that he will be playing :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Post by BriH »

grahamwarrior wrote:Daz should play he was nearly ready last week ! Charley missed him on that side of the pitch
Agree.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Goulding raring to go

DARRELL Goulding is ready to return to the big stage this Friday night - the centre has missed the last three games after a nasty sickness bug.

But he is now fully-fit and hoping to get the nod to face Super League champions Leeds Rhinos in front of the glare of the Sky Sports cameras.

Goulding said: “I’m ready to play, I’m feeling good and if Shaun wants me, I’m fit to play.

“To be fair, I probably could have played against Catalan last Friday at a push, but we decided to give it another week and I can’t wait to play again.

“It’s been frustrating not playing. Playing is different to most jobs, because all week is building up to the 80 minutes on the pitch and – as much as Wigan try and involve you – you don’t really feel a part of it when you can’t play.”

In Goulding’s absence, Wigan have stormed to three victories – against London, Castleford and Catalans – to cement second-spot in the ladder after six rounds.

Jack Hughes has dropped from second-row to fill Goulding’s right-centre role.

And with the 25-year-old back in the frame, Wane may have the relative luxury of a selection headache this Friday night.

With in-form Iain Thornley and Goulding the most obvious candidates for the centre spots, the coach is likely to omit a back-rower – with Hughes or Greg Burke the likeliest to miss out.

Leeds were beaten 32-8 by Huddersfield last Friday, and coach Brian McDermott has already predicted Wigan will “be licking their lips and smelling a bit of blood” as they recover from a World Club Challenge hangover.

The Warriors ran out 50-8 winners in their last match at Headingley, but the Rhinos recovered out of sight to knock their fierce rivals out of the Challenge Cup and Super League play-offs.

“I don’t think anyone would have called that last score there,” admits Goulding. “We had a few players out – the same as now – and we really played well.

“But they’re a quality team, they proved that against us in two big games last year.

“We’re not going to focus on those results but I’d be lying if I said it won’t be in the back of the lads’ minds on Friday.

“They’re one of our biggest rivals and we’d all be happy to get the win.

“But we also know we’ll need to play well to do that. I can’t remember being involved in a game against Leeds which wasn’t exciting, and Friday will be no different.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5488141
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

josie andrews wrote: Goulding raring to go
Jack Hughes has dropped from second-row to fill Goulding’s right-centre role.

And with the 25-year-old back in the frame, Wane may have the relative luxury of a selection headache this Friday night.
http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-5488141
No "headache" to me. It's a no brainer really
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think Hughes is potentially an international second row in the style of Menzies. He's no centre though - it's no reflection on him, it's such a difficult position to play. One of the reasons we look fairly solid whenever the attack moves towards Thornley or Goulding is that they have played there hundreds of times, and position themselves and the players around them instinctively. When Joel played in the centres, you never knew where he and Josh would find themselves.