no way back for calderwood

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

no way back for calderwood

Post by mrs_carney »

11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Doveoverdave

Re: no way back for calderwood

Post by Doveoverdave »

Proactive club at the height of their powers not letting the grass grow under their feet and always with options in the market when under taking contract negotiations with established first teamers.

Just how a club ought to be run!!
mrs_carney

Re: no way back for calder...

Post by mrs_carney »

That may be, but i dont think its fair heaping the blame on one man, maurice lindsey has made some bad choices and nobody can deny it, but maurice lindsey isnt the only man behind the scenes. I think the question lies with a certain football loving Mr Whelan, millward seems to be doing most of next years scouting with Mr Whelan on hand to dish out money should he require it. Surely he should take a more active role in this part of the business? It just seems unusual that whelan and lindsey claim we have no resources under the salary cap, it would be interesting to see how much some of our players are on compared to other clubc eg leeds, bradford.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Fraggle has posted some figures in another thread that I cannot agree with. I cannot see us being anywhere near the cap limit. Half this squad Tompkins, Coyle, Allen, Beswick, Brown, Prescott, Hansen will be lucky to be on 15k.

Others like Godwin, Hock, Aspy, Wild, Locky, Scully between 25 - 40k.

Then the big earners Rads, Newton, Seu Seu, Moran, Orr, Dallas, Carney DV.

Take Faz as the template and your looking at less than an average of 100k between this lot.

I know I've not named them all and I've not done the math but it looks way short.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
Proactive club at the height of their powers not letting the grass grow under their feet and always with options in the market when under taking contract negotiations with established first teamers.

Given we have just signed Richards who looks increasingly likely to be Carney's replacment I can't see the difference in what Leeds have done and what Wigan have done here.

Leeds didn't just pluck this guy out of thin air the minute Calderwood refused a new deal. They must have been looking well before that just as we were. So I don't think Calderwood refusing a new contract and the signing of this Aussie are related at all.

It may look like a sharp bit of business but they were going to sign the Aussie anyway.

Dave
Wizard_Millward

Post by Wizard_Millward »

mrs_carney posted:
It just seems unusual that maurice and lindsey claim we have no resources under the salary cap, it would be interesting to see how much some of our players are on compared to other clubc eg leeds, bradford.
I wasn't aware they were two different people. :lol:
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Who is this mysterious Lindsey? Is she responsible for the parlous state of our club? Has she made the dodgy signings and secretly ensured injuries in our squad?Is she a plant from St Helens in some fiendish plot alongside Millward? I think we should be told
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

Given we have just signed Richards who looks increasingly likely to be Carney's replacment I can't see the difference in what Leeds have done and what Wigan have done here.

Leeds didn't just pluck this guy out of thin air the minute Calderwood refused a new deal. They must have been looking well before that just as we were. So I don't think Calderwood refusing a new contract and the signing of this Aussie are related at all.

It may look like a sharp bit of business but they were going to sign the Aussie anyway.

Dave
But how good is he? I've never heard of him, though admittedly my knowledge of the Aussie scene is not what it was.

I'm not trying to wind you up, dod, but it's 50/50 if we had signed him you would have complained about us signing another no good Aussie who can't make it down under! :roll:
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Wizard_Millward posted:
mrs_carney posted:
It just seems unusual that maurice and lindsey claim we have no resources under the salary cap, it would be interesting to see how much some of our players are on compared to other clubc eg leeds, bradford.
I wasn't aware they were two different people. :lol:
ok you caught me at a tired time.......that has now been corrected :blush:
pedro

Post by pedro »

jinkin jimmy posted:
DaveO posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

Dave
But how good is he? I've never heard of him, though admittedly my knowledge of the Aussie scene is not what it was.

I'm not trying to wind you up, dod, but it's 50/50 if we had signed him you would have complained about us signing another no good Aussie who can't make it down under! :roll:
:)

He is very good what I have seen. He is severly quick. They tried to sign him last year as I remember it in the league express. So I dont think it had any bearing on the Calderwood thingy :)