Waneys. Kids.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
up the junction

Waneys. Kids.

Post by up the junction »

Hi ,Sean Wane has got to be credited with the success of our youngsters so far this season,most of them have been brought up through our youth teams ( not all I know) where Waney was a huge Influence in the development of them .I imagine he gets more satisfaction than most other Super League coaches seeing his kids out there being real contenders, ..It reminds me of the Man United of Fergies who went on to dominate for years ..Hears to a bright future For WWRLFC... :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :: :: ::
Wigan Warriors No 1 fan

Re: Waneys. Kids.

Post by Wigan Warriors No 1 fan »

Thank you someone finally agrees with me I may not have said it this forum but I have elsewhere because to stand up to teams like warrington and leeds is a credit to us.
BRING ON THE STAINS!
Bring back the biff!!!!!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Well said up the junction.I echo your sentiments. :D
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

You can't coach experience but you can gain it from playing well and impressing thus keeping your spot ,Josh Is a classic example, Football it isn't I know but what I meant was that Fergie at Utd brought those kids on as Waney has done ,working with them from a very young age therefore gaining immense satisfaction in what they are doing now at super league level while they are still developing as players..
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

There's no doubt that the kids have stood up to be counted in the circumstances of the last few weeks. SW has always said that if you put your hand up to play in the first team, then there's a standard to play to which takes no account of inexperience.
But how do you get experience except by playing at the highest level?

These lads have done us and the team proud. Of course in an ideal world they'd have played with more senior players and gained their game time over a longer period. But senior and experienced players are a bit thin on the ground right now.

Watching last night's game it's clear that none of the newer and younger players looked out of place. Possibly a couple of moves weren't quite as slick as we'd like, but overall they were very good indeed and they promise a bright future. So well done to them and Sean Wane.

I wonder how we'd have got on if we'd been able to put the first team out?
Stevethegas
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

mickw wrote:This is all well and good after a great performance but what you don,t get with youth is 1,obviously experience especially in big games and 2,consistency so when we do have a dip cut em some slack.friday will be a tough game and its a long season,this is,nt football Prescott Hansen and mossopp had alot of game time when they were young now it could be argued they,re suffering for it,yes we have a bright future but it needs to be managed right.
I hold my hands up,I was falling in to the pit of despair along with others during the close season with the lack of big signings, however from what I've seen so far this season I am becoming quite optimistic. Will we win a CC or GF this year, possibly not, but if things out of our control fall our way we have as good a chance as any other SL side.
Madge took the nearly boys and turned them into champions, but through whatever reasons Waney was left with an aging side. What he did know was how much potential was coming through the ranks. OK the timing wasn't right so that the youngsters could gain experience to slot in as one of the experienced players left, but they are getting a lot of game time (experience)this season.

The Op talked about Man Utd but I give you the Whinos, at the start of the 2000's they were a nearly team who flattered to deceive but as their young guns of Sinfield, JJB, Hall, Burrow, Maguire and others gained in experience, so did their dominance of the GF, not least down to the fact they learned how to win the big games when the chips are against you.

Sport is an ever evolving beast and different teams / players can dominate for a period of time. I am optimistic that within a season or two our youngsters are going to come of age and dominate finals for a good period of time. Over the last couple of seasons, Sam and MM have become part of the experience of the side and are part of the "spine" so we just need a young 6 & 7 and the base is there. Having said that Green and Smith are pleasing to watch, most of the time. :roll:

So we might not win a major this year, but we will be in contention, but I believe we will be winning finals before long as long as what mickw says is true, "they are managed right"
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

stevethegas wrote:There's no doubt that the kids have stood up to be counted in the circumstances of the last few weeks. SW has always said that if you put your hand up to play in the first team, then there's a standard to play to which takes no account of inexperience.
But how do you get experience except by playing at the highest level?

These lads have done us and the team proud. Of course in an ideal world they'd have played with more senior players and gained their game time over a longer period. But senior and experienced players are a bit thin on the ground right now.

Watching last night's game it's clear that none of the newer and younger players looked out of place. Possibly a couple of moves weren't quite as slick as we'd like, but overall they were very good indeed and they promise a bright future. So well done to them and Sean Wane.

I wonder how we'd have got on if we'd been able to put the first team out?
Maybe not as well. For a start, we had our first choice back line and the lads who went into the pack were immense. Would Prescott have fared better than Taylor or Crosby? Would Hansen have done a better job than Tuson?

I would always find a place for Moose but its possible that what we saw last night WAS our first team!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

When ManU won the league after Hansen's comment about you can't win with kids, the average age of their players that season was actually higher than the average in the league.

So Hansen was actually half - right. You don't win anything with just kids, you need the blend of experience as well.

The Wigan squad is a great mix, and the youngsters are stepping up and showing they're capable. With Hansen and a few more of the experienced players back in the side, the team should be very strong with the combination of good youngsters and good experienced players. Also bodes well going forward and not having to rely on big money signings coming in each season. More evolution than revolution.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
bocco

Post by bocco »

they are playing very well and are an exciting team to watch. We are looking good, the better weather should suit us as well
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We have certainly got the nucleus of a good side and in 12 months time the young guys will be pushing the established members of the squad for a starting position, with another set of juniors doing the same a year later. Two things worry me though: have we got the X-factor (beyond Sam) to win big games? Will size and experience count when it comes to the crunch?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards