Reds Snap Up Gaskill, Howarth Goes Other Way

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

Re: Reds Snap Up Gaskill, Howarth Goes Other Way

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
jobo wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: There were issues between him and Rush. He even registered on RedVee to voice his frustration. Not clever, but he was a kid. What did he have to lose?

I reckon he was treated very shabbily by Saints after the way 'Lomaskell' was hailed by Royce. I even envied them for giving youngsters a chance, something Madge refused to do - much to our cost!

I wish Lee well!
According to a Sts friend of mine, at one time Rush and Gaskell got on really well but when Rush took over as first team coach, things changed. If Gaskell does stay at Salford and they get Brian Smith along side the ace psychologist Graham Lowe, they will get the best out of him and I reckon he'll do very well. I was a bit surprised that Nathan Brown didn't resolve the problems. Must be too many bridges burned.
Or Brown doesn't have the authority to tell others to back off.
That's most likely the case. I don't think any Saints coach in recent years has operated with full autonomy. They just take all the blame when things go wrong!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Kittwazzer wrote:Over on RedVee, fans are raving about Stu! Saying he never put a foot wrong. One even said his quick passes from dummy half were better than Roby's!
Given how long he'd been a saints player, I thought he had a great game.
Maybe they want him to understudy Roby in the same way Roby did with Cunningham. So, Man of Steel with splinters in his @®$€ next season.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Many new players are outstanding on their debut!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Howarth: Whirlwind

SAINTS new loanee signing Stuart Howarth said playing in the cauldron like atmosphere of a derby was the best thing he'd ever done.

The hooker put pen to paper late last week and was pitched straight into the line-up on Good Friday.

"It was the best thing I have ever done," he told BBC Radio Merseyside. "It is what I have trained for all these years. I'm happy Saints and Salford gave me the opportunity to do it and it was really enjoyable.

"Of course I was nervous the night before the game, but coming into a team like Saints, with their quality players, it was easy to fit in. All I had to do then was make the tackles and make sure my distribution off the floor was right.

"I thought it went alright but towards the back end of my spell I got tired. I've never played in a game of that speed before. I thought the Saints fans were excellent."

He continued: "I'm on a season long loan deal but for the time being I want to just improve on that performance. I would then like to push for a full time deal as Saints are one of the best rugby league clubs in the world.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/2880?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Atmosphere will go from one extreme to the other when they play Cas at the LP Morgue this afternoon!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Many new players are outstanding on their debut!
Don't be so disparaging about the lad. Not all players are as you put it "outstanding" on their debut.

I was pleased for Stuart, he's a Wigan lad who progressed through the Wigan academy. He's not a sensational player but he is one of the workers in the team. Not all members of a team are superstars :exc:

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Just read the report from Bilko about the Good Friday game, here is an excerpt;

One player who did ok for Saints was debutant Stuart Howarth, who played his academy rugby here at Wigan between 2006 and 2010

Was always a decent player here but never looked like he had the class to make it for us. Sometimes it's not about class though and you can have players who are "job men". By that I mean they just do a good job without necessarily being top quality. I think he could be that type for Saints in the short term. I wish him well, he was a good kid here.