Brian McDermott unhappy

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Brian McDermott unhappy

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos coach Brian McDermott was unhappy with the high penalty count against his side who won 27-12 despite having Ryan Bailey sent off as Catalan Dragons saw their unbeaten home run come to an end.

Bailey was sent off in the 48th minute by referee Ben Thaler for a high shoulder charge on Thomas Bosc but Leeds were able to hold out for the win.

McDermott said: "I don't think the sending off had a bearing on the result of the game to be honest with you, but it showed how much character we have in the squad.

"Catalans get awarded more penalties than anyone else in the competition, and they have done for the last two years.

"I coached the London team for four years and they were awarded the least amount of penalties for four consecutive years. That is a big issue when you come to Catalans."

McDermott turned and looked at the main Catalans stand and added: "That is plain and simple, I think I have my own ideas why. I have my own ideas why."

McDermott continued: "To be consistently awarded the most penalties when they play at home, I think that would need addressing.

"At one point the penalty count was 15-3, I thought we did remarkably well to overcome that.

"I'd like to be clear, I don't think that Catalans play well due to them getting penalties, they are a very good team.

"We talked before that when boxers go to box in Germany or Europe, they very rarely get the points victory, they have to knock their opposition out - we had to knock our opposition out tonight."

Of the dismissal, McDermott added: "I didn't see the red card, although it made a good noise around the ground and made a good slap that got the crowd's attention."

Catalans Dragons coach Laurent Frayssinous said his team would take something from the defeat.

"As a team we have learnt a good lesson tonight in how to win big games. Leeds showed us how to do that tonight, they kept the ball in the last 20 minutes and we couldn't do anything about that," he said.

"After we took the lead, we made some mistakes and gave them the ball, and we didn't see the ball for the next 10 minutes after that."

Frayssinous addressed the 16-8 penalty count in his side's favour.

"I think if you watch the game back all the penalties were deserved, they came here and tried to slow us down," he said.

"They were cautioned twice for this and I have spoken to the referees about why this happened with no sin-binning. It is their call and we can talk about it further in the week."

Frayssinous added on the Bailey dismissal: "Thomas Bosc has been hit every week over the last month or so. I'm glad that we got the call on this occasion.

"We want the referees to be consistent. I need to watch the video again, but if Bailey has hit Thomas late and high then it is a red card like when we had Julian Bousquet who was banned for four games."

Catalans struggled in the wet conditions as they continually dropped the ball at crucial times with Zeb Taia, Louis Anderson and Jamal Fakir all accountable with unforced errors.

Kevin Sinfield led the way with 15 points as the Rhinos bounced back from the disappointment of drawing their last game against Bradford and scored tries through Joel Moon, Paul McShane and Jamie Jones-Buchanan.

Catalans touched down through Leon Pryce and Bosc, with the latter also kicking two goals.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... lty-count?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Re: Brian McDermott unhappy

Post by markill »

In fairness (not that he warrants it), McDermott has a point as Catalan have been getting massively favoured in recent home games in the penalty count. The last time they were on the wrong side of the count at home according to stats available on Super League website was the game against us last summer. However, to suggest the reason is the home fans is rubbish. The south stand puts as much pressure on the ref as anyone's fans. Maybe its the way they play, with quick potbs and they seem to catch markers not square a bit.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Maybe it's because Leeds are cheating scum.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

A bit rich considering what Leeds get away with on a regular basis!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Just read that Leeds United are poised to sign the other Brian McDermott as their new manager!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

'Two of a kind'

Thank God, it's not Wigan!
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

"Brian McDermott unhappy".

How can they tell?
Stevethegas
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Well at least the RFL did something
Leeds coach Brian McDermott has been fined for comments he made after the Rhinos' win in Catalan.

McDermott was critical of referee Ben Thaler following the 27-12 victory, and was found guilty of publically criticising the manner in which matches are officiated, a breach of two RFL Operational Rules and the RFL's respect policy.

After the game at Easter, McDermott said: "Catalans get awarded more penalties than anyone else in the competition, and they have done for the last two years.

"I coached the London team for four years and they were awarded the least amount of penalties for four consecutive years. That is a big issue when you come to Catalans.

"To be consistently awarded the most penalties when they play at home, I think that would need addressing. At one point the penalty count was 15-3, I thought we did remarkably well to overcome that.

McDermott was instructed to pay £250 immediately with a further £250 suspended until the end of the 2014 season.
http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_116 ... ments.html

And the comments at the bottom of the page are "interesting"

pholloway •

Unprofessional. Even if what he's saying is true, it's a stupid thing to say in public. He's not using it as an excuse for losing, he's just venting his spleen and taking a pop at the easiest target in rugby league. What does he hope to achieve by saying these things? I hardly think it'll make the refs think twice, in fact it might have the opposite effect if anything. If he's got a problem he should be on the phone to someone at Red Hall and addressing it in a way that might get him some joy.

Karl Nathan Douglas Silcock

Ridiculous , as fans of the sport we see poor officials ruining games week in and week out and nothing is done to improve the situation . Yet if anyone should dare to question the performance of these people the sports governing body drag them over the coals .
Its time Red Hall had a serious look at the way officials are performing on the field each week instead of sticking there heads in a bucket of sand and screaming respect .

rs won

the RFL DICTATOR-SHIP WILL TELL YOU YOUR OPINION and when you can use it ,, so let me get this right if the ref gets it wrong you cant have an opinion, its now time for steve ganson to proove his worth and sort the very poor standard of officials out before the RFL fnd them selves redundant and the rugby world turn to another governing body, just my opinion , the rfl can send me a fine for this opinion but im big enough and ugly enough to help them put it where te sun dont shine .haha

Mick Spencer

How can they fine him if he is quoting facts. It's about time the RFL got it's act together and sorted out the inconsistencies of referees.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#