Can players become too big ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Can players become too big ?

Post by cpwigan »

Tom Spencer was/is a player I have always rated highly but I was taken aback yesterday at how broad he has become. He hs always been quite tall so when he looks broad also you wonder just how big players should get?

I would retain him BTW
Sutty

Re: Can players become too big ?

Post by Sutty »

Yes, I think they can, but it does depend on which position they play. I remember Brian Carney getting really big and he sacrificed a lot of his pace and agility as a consequence. Josh is going a similar way and he needs to be careful that he retains his speed.

If you want a forward to be more of an impact then they either need to be small (ish) and quick or big and powerful. It's not often that you get the best of both, unless it's genetic.

I also think that a lot of players "grow in to their bodies". ie, they fill out as they get older. Andy Faz wasn't huge as a youngster although he was still tall and strong. Likewise, Lockers was pretty slim up until a few years ago when he suddenly seemed to fill out and then his game came on in leaps and bounds.

Luckily with Bitcon at the club, we've got one of the best conditioners in the business and surely he'll ensure that our players maintain their best attributes but improve on their size and strength, if necessary.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

:lol: Sutty, you must be getting old if you think Lockers has only just put weight on. He filled out massively when he was recovering from his knee reconstruction and could only do weights, that IIRC was in 2004.

I'd guess for forwards it's a fine line between managing your impact in the collision with muscle bulk and power vs the weight impacting on your mobility, agility and game time stamina.I think you tell if a forward has put too much weight on when they start to look like they're lumbering a bit.
Wes

Post by Wes »

You can't be the worlds strongest man and beat usain bolt in the 100. It's a compromise IMO and your team should have a mixture, Leeds and ourselves do and it pays off massively.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

weststand-rich wrote: :lol: Sutty, you must be getting old if you think Lockers has only just put weight on. He filled out massively when he was recovering from his knee reconstruction and could only do weights, that IIRC was in 2004.
Lol, I knew it was a few seasons ago, I just didn't think it was that long ago. The years just seem to merge into one when you have kids. Time flies :lol:

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Andy Powell is certainly a big unit, but to big? Who knows?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

There is also the fact that players at every level jab a bit of test into themselves from time to time. And I mean EVERY level ;)
Up The Mont!
ragman

Post by ragman »

Brendan Hill, Lee Crooks, David Solomona, Steve McCurrie...they all managed it :D
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Remember Andy Platt going from a lightweight backrower/loose to a terrific prop.