Re: pat to quit at end of season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Pat Richards to West Tigers

Post by medlocke »

Wigan Warriors announce that Winger Pat Richards will be leaving the Club at the end of the season to return home to Australia where he will re-join his former side Wests Tigers.

Richards contract with Wigan expires at the end of the 2013 campaign and after discussions with Pat he informed the Club that he wishes to head back down under after eight seasons in the Super League. Richards has agreed a Two-Year contract with the Tigers for Seasons 2014 and 2015.

Speaking about the news, Chairman Ian Lenagan said;

"We are obviously disappointed to be losing Pat but fully respect his decision and his reasons to head home. Pat joined us in 2006 and he has been a wonderful player for the Wigan Club and he has provided us all with some terrific moments. He is a model professional ,is highly respected by everyone and is one of the best overseas signings the Club has ever made. We know he will do all he can for the remainder of the season to play his part in trying to bring more success to the Club, he will be missed and we wish him well."

Shaun Wane commented;

"Pat is not only a sensational player but also a great person and we will miss his influence both on and off the field. He has made the decision to head home after this season and understand the reasons behind that. We hope that he can provide him with some more happy memories before he departs."

Pat Richards added;

"This has been a difficult decision to make as I have thoroughly enjoyed my eight seasons with Wigan but the time has come for my family and I to return home.

" I will take with me many happy memories and I can only thank everyone for making me so welcome. I have been extremely fortunate to achieve the successes I have with Wigan with the team and individually and am hoping I can end my time here in England with more silverware to come this season.

"I have been given this opportunity to return home to the Club where I achieved Grand Final success in 2005 with Wests and will look forward to ending my playing career at a Club where I also have great memories."

Richards has made over 200 appearances for Wigan since joining in 2006 from Wests Tigers where he has scored over 150 tries, over 800 goals and is approaching 2,300 points for the Club. Pat moved up to 3rd spot as the Club's top points scorer of all time in 2012 and added to the successes of a Grand Final win in 2010 and Challenge in 2011, in 2010 he won the prestigious individual honour of being named Man of Steel.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

yokozuna wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I'm gutted for him to be leaving. He has been a great servant to the club & our longest serving overseas player.

I wish Pat & Kim Good Luck & all the very best, will miss them.
Arguably our best overseas signing ever in terms of what he has given the club. His contribution to Wigan has been immense and they are massive shoes to fill.

A true professional, and a Wigan legend.
HERE HERE WELL SAID HIS CONTRIBUTION TO THE CLUB HAS BEEN FANTASTIC WILL BE SADLY MISSED.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Nothing but the upmost respect for Pat on and off the field, good luck back in Oz.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

so we are in need of a winger who finishes strong as well as a great kicker, only one man fits the bill for me and that's Patrick Ah Van, swap one Pat for an other :thum:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Sorry to see Pat go; however as with his centre partner who departed at the end of last season, he owes the club nothing and has been a great servant.

Great player and person - For sheer quality, longevity and attitude, he and George will go down as my favourite wing/ centre combination of the super league era.

As has been said, best wishes to Pat and best of luck with the Tigers
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Agreed. It's the right time for him to go while he's still productive and not just eeking out a final pay-check before retirement. He owes us nothing and has been like a goal-kicking metronome for the past 6 years.

I wish him luck when he rejoins Wests.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:Matty Smith ? Josh Charnley ?

If we want to sign a goal kicking winger, Foster?

Some quality young wingers out there Lineham as mentioned, Broughton? Maybe go overseas? Our young wingers are not ready yet.
Having watched our juniors on several occassions this year I agree. It will be interesting to see who is OOC otherwise we will need to pay a transfer fee. It may be that Waney now views Gelling as a replacement for Pat until the likes of Burgess step-up. People may laugh at your Foster suggestion but I certainly wouldn't rule it out. Hall at HKR, McGillivery at the Giants anyone?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A selection of Pat Richards tries for Wigan Rugby League

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVsZPqiwj9A
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Calderwood Try & Richards Drop Goal - 2007 Play Off at Bradford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7E67Spw4aU
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Pat Richard 2010 - Man of Steel

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPTYsBwMhE[/youtube]
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.