Who will we get to replace Pat?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Who will we get to replace Pat?

Post by Kittwazzer »

For a goal kicking left winger, I'd look at Jamie Foster provided we can sort out his defence.

Or will we look down under for a marquee signing? We will certainly have the money and the cap space!
yokozuna

Re: Who will we get to replace Pat?

Post by yokozuna »

Richards won't be replaced by one man.

Foster can kick, but he's a fraction of the player that Richards is in terms of finishing and defensively.

Dixon at London looks like a very talented winger - and could be one to look at?

As far as kicking goes, is Smith good enough to take over there? Pat worked hard at his kicking, and it paid off.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
markill

Post by markill »

Well, we might well be replacing Sam too so we could also take an FB who kicks (or move a kid up from u20s that has been playing some FB and kicks). I'd take the best position players we're able to get and get those who we have who can kick pretty well to get practising - Pat wasn't a sensational kicker when he came but he worked on it.

Lineham at Hull is the best prospect currently playing SL for me. Dixon is a bit of a loose cannon and whilst he is very talented there is a lot to work on. His deficiencies don't get seen as much at London as he is a highlight reel player in a poorly performing team that no-one really sees a lot of.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

yokozuna wrote:Richards won't be replaced by one man.

Foster can kick, but he's a fraction of the player that Richards is in terms of finishing and defensively.

Dixon at London looks like a very talented winger - and could be one to look at?

As far as kicking goes, is Smith good enough to take over there? Pat worked hard at his kicking, and it paid off.
There are not many wingers that can finish like Pat Richards but Foster is a decent finisher. Dixon is not as good defensively as Foster although I do admit that this is an area that Foster needs to improve. What about McGillverry at Giants or Hall at HKR?

Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
BriH

Post by BriH »

Maybe, just maybe IL has an up-and-coming young Aussie winger lined up?
Just a thought if you remember Pat when he arrived. Not much known about him other than his try in the Aussie Grand Final.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yokozuna wrote:Richards won't be replaced by one man.

I remember Botica worked on his kicking when he got here. He said he had to think of some way to make himself a 1st choice player!

Anyone who takes kicks in Pat's absence looks nothing like as good but this is IMO down to lack of practice. If someone like Smith practiced as much as Pat and Frano they would soon be up there. So I think you are right to mention players working on this particular skill.

I also think replacing him with one player is going to be hard. While Smith might get good at kicking goals will he have the strength to match Pat's drop out distance? His drop out kicks really make conceding one far from the problem it proves for most teams. Maybe a different player to take the roll?

As to a winger, Dixon looks a hot property at the moment. He's quite small but with Thornley to help out who has plenty of height he might be the one to go for. IL's past connections with London may work in our favour with a move for him.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

As documented by almost everyone, Foster is hopeless under a high ball and Dixon has no idea of defence. He's incredibly quick (but so was Kevin Penney) and that makes him stand out in a truly awful London side.

Lineham looks interesting as he's quick, big(gish) and knows where the line is - see last night's hat-trick. Briscoe would probably be the best but he seems to be NRL-bound. Haven't we got someone up-and-coming to slot in?
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Hull fans reckon Briscoe is coming to Wigan.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1367057478
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
markill

Post by markill »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Hull fans reckon Briscoe is coming to Wigan.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1367057478
I thought he had already agreed a deal to the Sharks?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

All the suggested players look favourable but if Foster was made available I'd go for him