Good Luck Latics!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Aaron C. Rescue

Re: Good Luck Latics!

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

Whelley Warrior wrote: How much of the new found support for the Latic's has anything to do with them now being in the Premier League and now in the FA Cup Final.

Looks like the bandwagon jumping has now even spread to some of our supporters.

'Bandwagon jumping' as you call it applies to all teams, if we reach the Challenge Cup Final or Grand Final I'm sure we'll sell more tickets than we have season ticket holders or our average gate, personally, I'll not be watching the FA Cup Final as I have something else to do on Saturday, but if Latics could win the trophy and we can match the achievement and win the Challenge Cup what a 'coup' it would be for our town.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: How much of the new found support for the Latic's has anything to do with them now being in the Premier League and now in the FA Cup Final.

Looks like the bandwagon jumping has now even spread to some of our supporters.
I'm not jumping on any bandwagon, I wont be going to Wembley and I only watch Latics very infrequently (once or twice a year), but as I said I am a Wiganer through and through and therefore I want the town and its people to succeed in everything they do.
Neither am I. I follow & support Wigan Warriors to nth degree that doesn't mean I'm jumping on the bandwagon when I want WIGAN Athletic to do well.

It says WIGAN Athletic, WIGAN Warriors, WIGAN RU, WIGAN Harriors ... You get my drift. I want all & everything WIGAN to do well :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I have watched Latics 'live' on 5 occasions.

First time was mid 60s. I was 10 years old and my mates showed me a gap in the fence. I spent the entrance fee my mum gave me on 5 Woodbines and the requisite Polo mints for after.
2nd time was 1978 when they first got into the league. I think it was a friendly against Birmingham.

3rd time was 1985. Ken Cowap gave me to comps for his box. I took my mate from work and we got free ale and lobbies. Howard Kendall came in to check out Warren Aspinall who is my distant cousin.

Final 2 occasions were in 1998 when I went with a mate who had a box that season.

I have never seen them play since they left Springfield Park!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Josie

The bandwagon jumpers I am on about are many of those now going to watch the Latic's, when in the past they called them rotten!

Sorry, it's not with the quote, but it went on without my comment.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Josie

The bandwagon jumpers I am on about are many of those now going to watch the Latic's, when in the past they called them rotten!

Sorry, it's not with the quote, but it went on without my comment.
If you looked at my reply it included your comment & shaunedwardsfanclubs comment in the quote.

It doesn't matter that you didn't quote it :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

cpwigan wrote:
jobo wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Plus true supporters who do not boo and jeer them when they lose like apparently they did last night.

Hope they do not do the same on Saturday if they lose!
The booing was disappointing. If tics players weren't making the effort, then you could understand but they did give it their all and didn't deserve to be booed off.

Suppose that puts a damper on for Saturday but at least they are guaranteed to be in Europe next year.
Even Dave Whelan was dismayed with the Latics effort and many Latics fans I spoke to today were dismayed at the arrogance of Di Santos who they described as displaying an obvious attitude of I am too good for this club.

Fans are entitled to boo, to cheer whatever as long as it is not racist/sexist etc etc.
Didn't say they weren't entitled to boo just that it was disappointing. From what I saw they all tried their best. As for Whelan, if they'd kept some of the players they've got rid of over the past few years, then maybe he'd have a point.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Latics Diehards I speak to Jobo are hurt by Di Santos attitude / lack of effort and Caldwell for his poor play.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley, stop talking nonsense about bandwagon jumpers. You really are spouting garbage. When Wigan RLFC got out of Division 2 we had about 4000 fans so by your way of thinking we have 10,000 bandwagon fans.

I can remember when the Latics gained entry to the FL that crowds were significantly higher for the Latics. It was in part because RL even in Wigan had retreated to a few central often Catholic dominated areas but also football was an easier sell being a national game. It has always been so.

Wigan RLFC entered a fantastic period and gates swelled but not to the numbers who came to all the big games and Finals. Why should they. Football entered a dark 'hooligan' phase and the game itself became ugly. Attendances dropped dramatically.

We currently have a scenario were the combined attendances for Wigan RLFC and Wigan Athletic are at an all time high. The rugby attendances are as good as ever which suggest no bandwagon jumping. Maybe just maybe people chose what they wanted to attend because many have no pre conceived historical bias. The majority must be so because the combined attendance figures are so much greater now than they have ever been since Wigan Athletic entered the FL.

I watch plenty of games at Springfield Park, I went to Wembley for the Freight Rover Final. I have watched hundreds/thousands of RL games BUT if I want to I will support anything and everything carrying the name Wigan.

I will not be going to Wembley and I have not watched the Latics in the Prem But I wish them well because they represent MY TOWN.

bonbon

Post by bonbon »

cpwigan wrote:
bonbon wrote:I couldn't give two f**ks about Latics, as a football team they do seem poor.
Are you from Wigan?
No, Warrington actually but have supported Wigan RLFC since i was 7, i'm 43 this year. I have no interest in Football in general, so like i say i couldn't give a shit about Latics.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bonbon wrote:
No, Warrington actually but have supported Wigan RLFC since i was 7, i'm 43 this year. I have no interest in Football in general, so like i say i couldn't give a shit about Latics.
That's fair enough. I've no interest in the game either other than they represent my home town. Wouldn't expect non Wigan people to feel the same way!