Hull KR v Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NeeNawWarrior22

Re: Hull KR v Wigan

Post by NeeNawWarrior22 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Potentially the nearest British centre to the legendary Neil Fox. Genuine centre too. No converted second rower.

Fantastic win far better than the 80 pointer. Fair play to Wane for moving Sam to the halves. Lockers is the best loose forward in SL but he is not a 6.
Unfortunately many 'media experts' can't look past Sinfield for best LF. I have set for years that Lockers is better.
Sinfield appears to be very well protected my the RL media.
He hasn't played LF for at least 3 years!!
That's his natural position and Lockers got overlooked in favour of him.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Anyone know when and where will the highlights be available?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

doc wrote:We sound to be playing very poorly. Why isn't Mossop playing?
Injured his leg in training mid week. Lauaki did well when he came on, gave them a bit of their own back
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Matthew wrote:Anyone know when and where will the highlights be available?
They're on Wigan TV now.
That was a nasty tackle on Green. Hansen was outstanding.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just seen the assault on Green on Wigan TV. A shocker!!!

6-8 matches anywhere else but SL.

Some good tries by our guys.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Progress in Cup

Result from MS3 Craven Park - Tetley's Challenge Cup Round 5

Hull KR 14

T - D Hodgson, Hall 2

G - Dobson 2/3

Wigan Warriors 46

T - S Tomkins 4, Richards, Charnley, Thornley, Farrell

G -Richards 7/8

Match Report

Wigan progressed through to the last eight of the Tetley's Challenge Cup with a 14-46 win at Hull KR on Sunday afternoon.

A Sam Tomkins hat-trick lifted Wigan and the Full Back added a 4th try late on as the visitors had trailed 4-0 through an early Rovers try but in the second half the Warriors stepped up a gear to win the tie relatively comfortably.

Wigan crossed for eight tries with Richards, Charnley, Thornley and Farrell all crossing the whitewash, Richards hit seven goals to complete a comprehensive performance.

As expected Hull KR provided a much sterner test than they had in the Super League and certainly came out early on looking for a point to prove.

Wigan Warriors welcomed back to the side Pat Richards who missed the win over Salford last week on the Left Wing but were without the injured Matty Smith (Shoulder) and Prop Lee Mossop, Dom Crosby stepping up off the bench. Rovers had both Michael Dobson and Cory Paterson in the starting thirteen; both missed the Wigan win here on Easter Monday and are both highly influential for the home side.

The home side started brightly with a short kick off and regaining possession and then forcing the Warriors to a goal line drop out from their first attack. With just 2 minutes on the clock a Dobson grubber kick bounced kindly into the hands of David Hodgson who was in for a try in the left hand corner, Dobson missed the goal but the home side were 4-0 to the good.

Wigan could have soon be further behind as Rovers broke down the middle with options either side but a knock on wasted a great opportunity for the home side.

In the first Wigan attack which was pulled back for a forward pass the Warriors lost the influential Blake Green through injury after a challenge from Paterson with 8 minutes on the clock, a real blow early on.

Wigan win a couple of penalties to move up field looking for a response but lose the ball in a great position. At the other end Rovers break through but an ambitious Dobson kick looking for David Hodgson on the chase goes into touch.

On 33 minutes Wigan were in for their first points, Sam Tomkins with a clever sidestep from close range when nothing looked on; Richards added the extras, 4-6.

On 37 Wigan were in again, this time a mistake by Greg Eden as he looked to kick the ball away dead and Sam Tomkins was able to pounce on the loose ball for his second try of the game, an easy conversion for Richards and all of a sudden the Warriors led 4-12 at the break.

Wigan got just the start to the second period they wanted and extended their lead, an inside pass sent Richards through and on his shoulder was Sam Tomkins for the try, his hat-trick either side of half time. Richards added the conversion and the visitors were now 4-18.

A short pass from close range and Richards was in for the Warriors 4th try of the game under the posts, Richards added the goal and Wigan were now in complete control of this cup tie, 4-24.

With Hull KR stretched the Warriors found space out wide once more on 49 minutes, this time Josh Charnley scored in the corner, Richards missed the extras, 4-28.

Wigan were on a roll and Iain Thornley showed excellent pace down the left to break away for the Warriors 6th try of the afternoon, Richards again added the goal and Wigan were now running away with the tie to book their place in the last 8 of the competition, 4-34.

Rovers grabbed their 2nd try through Craig Hall on 63 minutes which Dobson converted, 10-34 from a high chip to the corner but that was little more than consolation to the Robins.

On 65 minutes Liam Farrell raced wide to beat the home defence for his 12th try of the season, Richards struck the goal 10-40.

Sam Tomkins won a race to the line to stretch over for his 4th try of the match on 76 minutes,a Richards goal made it 10-46.

The last points came to the home side, Hall with his 2nd touchdown, conversion missed and it ended 14-46.

So Wigan with the win and will now look forward to a place in the Quarter Finals in July.

Team News -

Hull KR - Greg Eden, Omari Caro, Liam Salter, Craig Hall, David Hodgson, Travis Burns, Michael Dobson, Mickey Paea, Josh Hodgson, Adam Walker, Graeme Horne, Cory Paterson, Rhys Lovegrove

Replacements - Lincoln Withers, Con Miks, Rich Beaumont, George Griffin

Wigan Warriors - Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Iain Thornley, Pat Richards, Blake Green, Sam Powell, Ben Flower, Michael McIlorum, Dom Crosby, Harrison Hansen, Liam Farrell, Sean O'Loughlin

Replacements - Jack Hughes, Epalahame Lauaki, Scott Taylor, Logan Tomkins

Referee - Richard Silverwood

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wane Thrilled with Win

Wigan Warriors booked their place in the Quarter Finals of the Tetley's Challenge Cup with a 14-46 win at Hull KR on Sunday afternoon.

Speaking post match Head Coach Shaun Wane admitted he was thrilled with the win and the performance,

"It was an old-fashioned cup tie, it was a real battle.I was impressed with how we played, we had a real dig and showed some consistency in attack and that's what I wanted from the players so I am very happy today.

"It was obvious their game plan was to disrupt our game plan and that makes it more of a satisfying win. I thought we showed some real guts and determination and to come through it and stick with what we know and we came up with an impressive win."

Asked about Blake Green who was forced to leave the field early on through injury with what looked a late challenge on the Stand Off, Shaun added,

"It was shocking, he is in a bad way. he was unconcious and he also damaged his ankle on the way down, we will scan it tomorrow and we will have more idea at the end of the week. I can't say what I want to say, I would just rather move on."

Sam Tomkins scored four tries in the win and Shaun said,

" I thought our skill level and to overcome what they threw at us, defensively we played with real determination and played really well. To come through losing both our Halves in the last couple of weeks it was fantastic.

I thought Harrison Hansen and Mickey Mac really stood up and that is what you expect from our senior players.

The most satisfying thing for me was in the past, when we have had disruption in our halves we have gone away from what we do best and we haven't done that today.

That would rank for me the most satisfying win during my time in charge since 2010."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

We were poor first half. Lockers was OK in the halves with Powell, great turnout from us over 1,000.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM

Hull KR head coach Craig Sandercock:
"It was really disappointing as we bombed a couple of dead-set tries.
"We deserved to be in the lead by more than four but you can't do that against really good sides like Wigan. We needed to take our opportunities and didn't.
"I was really disappointed with that."
Wigan Warriors head coach Shaun Wane:

"We're another round down and will be going all out to get to Wembley ourselves. It's been a great weekend for Wigan."
On Cory Paterson's hit on Blake Green: "It was shocking, Blake is in a bad way. He was knocked unconscious and damaged his ankle on the way down.

"You can't give your opinion of what happened, you can't be honest. I give up and can't say what I want to say.

"It was obvious the plan was to disrupt us and that's makes it a more satisfying win. We showed guts and determination and that's as good a win as we've had since I've been here."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/22455852
Waney was so angry about the hit on Green, he threw a laptop at the wall & smashed it :exc: :exc:
He went mad at the fourth official, & went for him in the tunnel. Waney was furious it wasn't picked up.

Said on the radio he should be OK but Greeny hurt his ankle on the way down which will need a scan tomorrow.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

NeeNawWarrior22 wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
NeeNawWarrior22 wrote: Unfortunately many 'media experts' can't look past Sinfield for best LF. I have set for years that Lockers is better.
Sinfield appears to be very well protected my the RL media.
He hasn't played LF for at least 3 years!!
That's his natural position and Lockers got overlooked in favour of him.
Lockers was always in the England Squad whenever it was announced but pulled out on numerous occasions due to injury so never really went head to head with Sinfield for the LF position.

You said 'media experts' can't look past Sinfield for LF and I was just saying that the 'media experts' haven't looked upon Sinfield as a LF for at least 3 years.

I agree Lockers is a far better LF than Sinfield ever was but as time has gone on Sinfield has adapted to the Halves far better than Lockers ever could but Lockers doesn't need to, he is a class player!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett