Charnley

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Re: Charnley

Post by ddtftf »

Cp email me at ddtftf@aol.com
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

God wrote:
IMO they havent prooved themselves in Super League yet!!!
Is this a joke?

Seriously it is the individuals that are being sought not the team. The teams failings and inadequacy does not detract from the fact that most of talented players of the team could possibly be moving on

The thought I have is, with the serious financial difficulties many rl clubs currently find themselves in, is IL simply reducing costs etc in order to pre-empt the possible collapse of the super league as it stands
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Unless our game can compete financially with Rugby Union and the NRL, supporters will have to face up to the problem of players looking elsewhere. All our game can do now is keep finding and producing replacements and hope that they show more interest in staying loyal to our game and clubs instead of wanting more money elsewhere.

Over the year's our club has never done too bad in finding players to replace players if and when they leave and will continue do so in the future, especially with having one of the best academies in the game.
So just to be clear then, you are of the opinion it doesn't matter how many players we lose because we can replace them with local talent?

And there is no point at which a player drain would concern you?

And pray what is your answer to the problem and for the record, not just talent from within the club which by the way is not all local, but also quality signings from elsewhere.
That is a fair question.

My view is that there is no short term answer. RL is buggered at the moment. The RFL needs to have a very good plan to turn the sport round from being a feeder to union and the NRL. You could bury your head in the sand and view this as mission impossible. Personally, I believe with astute management we could sort this. I believe RL is far more marketable to the British public than currently envisaged but the task is beyond the current administration who are incompetent.

Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

East Stand Faithful wrote:

My view is that there is no short term answer. RL is buggered at the moment. The RFL needs to have a very good plan to turn the sport round from being a feeder to union and the NRL. You could bury your head in the sand and view this as mission impossible. Personally, I believe with astute management we could sort this. I believe RL is far more marketable to the British public than currently envisaged but the task is beyond the current administration who are incompetent.
I'd agree with that summation. Its now just a question of how much damage will be done to the game before the incompetents realise there is a very real threat to their comfort zone!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:WW, nobody is perfect but I get far more right than wrong because I only use information from sources I trust. If DDTFTF says something then you/I/everybody need to take notice. Rather than trying to put everybody down all I will say is what I said previous, the man you questioned knows more people, knows far more about what goes on than you or I will ever know. He is very much worth listening too and taking note of. You really have no idea WW how far off the mark you were accusing him of being a Saints supporter.
My comments about the dark side of Billinge Hill was about rumours in general about Wigan players and not the one about Charnley by DDTFTF who no doubt is a true Warriors supporter as you say.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fair enough WW

To be honest it is not difficult for anybody incl our fans to work out who would be interested in SL players. There are only 2 markets, NRL or Union. I prefer the NRL option as it keeps the talent in League and still available to represent GB on the international front. To see how much George Burgess has progressed suggest from a player development the NRL can boost individual players far more than the RFL / SL / Union.

One thing everybody who posts needs to remember SOMETIMES the rumour is fueled by people representing the interests of a club or the person themself, particularly when their contract is getting close to renewal.

SOME SL club owners are basically hawking their players to the NRL because they want to lower the cap not raise it AND/OR they believe they have far more junior talent on their doorstep to mitigate the potential exodus of talent from SL and still win competitions. Again not difficult to work out who has that idea.

Personally, I think the amount of world class talent playing RL in Britain is far from endless and may be shrinking. The way the RFL has started to cut back on RL development officers / coaches was/is a grave mistake IMO. I hate seeing RFU development officers is their sponsored easily identified cars arriving at Wigan schools to coach / develop RU against ZERO from the RFL which is what is happening now.
doc

Post by doc »

CP, didn't the development officers get cut when the RFL had their funding cut by Sport England? Nothing much the RFL could do about that to be fair to them but they are hopeless in many other areas of administration.

I read somewhere this week that Jamie Peacock was advocating reducing the cap to £1 million. This is not only two faced in that he has made his money and and now wants to prevent future stars of the game earning similar sums but will also lead to an even bigger exodus of players to Australia and RU.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

doc wrote:CP, didn't the development officers get cut when the RFL had their funding cut by Sport England? Nothing much the RFL could do about that to be fair to them but they are hopeless in many other areas of administration.

I read somewhere this week that Jamie Peacock was advocating reducing the cap to £1 million. This is not only two faced in that he has made his money and and now wants to prevent future stars of the game earning similar sums but will also lead to an even bigger exodus of players to Australia and RU.
They did Doc but nobody from any club or the RFL even baulked at losing them or arguing their funding should be found by making cuts elsewhere.
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:
doc wrote:CP, didn't the development officers get cut when the RFL had their funding cut by Sport England? Nothing much the RFL could do about that to be fair to them but they are hopeless in many other areas of administration.

They did Doc but nobody from any club or the RFL even baulked at losing them or arguing their funding should be found by making cuts elsewhere.
Wasn't funding cut in large parts because participation was down? Then cutting development staff just reinforces the problem. Its like when poorly performing schools have their funding cut...its not likely to improve the situation.

As for Peacock, he was advocating a general cut in cap with the addition of star players allowance that don't go against the cap.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Can unfollow him on twitter then. Bloody clothing and tattoos.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame