Re: Centres

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I was never in favour of Hughes at centre and said so when he got the no. 4 shirt.

It had compromise written all over it and he is also a very good 2nd row who reminds me of Joel Tomkins when he played in the pack which was also his best position.

I just hope moving to centre hasn't ruined the player and harmed his confidence. With Tuson going he ought to get be in contention for a bench spot as a back row forward next season.

This season I think we have to hope Gouldng is fit for the big games and Thornley plays well in them. Thornley has shown he is a natural centre often enough and he has had more good than bad games IMO.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I believe Thornleys defence will improve when Green returns. However, Thornley still needs to make his tackles stick.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

cpwigan wrote:I believe Thornleys defence will improve when Green returns. However, Thornley still needs to make his tackles stick.
Too much arm grabbing, CP. Most obvious when he's head on to his opponent, not quite so bad from other angles, but his technique needs working on. I would hazard a guess it's a leftover from his rugby union days.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Nezza Faz wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I believe Thornleys defence will improve when Green returns. However, Thornley still needs to make his tackles stick.
Too much arm grabbing, CP. Most obvious when he's head on to his opponent, not quite so bad from other angles, but his technique needs working on. I would hazard a guess it's a leftover from his rugby union days.
The brief union stint will not have helped but it is IMO more a case of a huge schoolboys being physically overwhelming for junior opponents rather than concentrating on technique simply because he never needed to. Versus adults and the size differential becomes less and less important. He will get there though; Look at Daz and ho many people doubted him in his very early first team career.

I firmly believe Thornley has the Potential to be the closest British centre to Neil Fox.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

cpwigan wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:
The brief union stint will not have helped but it is IMO more a case of a huge schoolboys being physically overwhelming for junior opponents rather than concentrating on technique simply because he never needed to. Versus adults and the size differential becomes less and less important. He will get there though; Look at Daz and ho many people doubted him in his very early first team career.

I firmly believe Thornley has the Potential to be the closest British centre to Neil Fox.
and i believe in fairies :wink:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do you not rate Thornley Cow Yeds?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

We may have to wait for two or three years but Oliver Gildhart looks a really good centre prospect. Good hands, great feet and quick. I've been really impressed with him in the U19's this year especially when you consider he is still only 16. It's a pity Mark Percival chose Saints when he was offered an academy contract with us.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

cpwigan wrote:Do you not rate Thornley Cow Yeds?

Sorry not as highly as youself
:wink:
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

No straw damn us wrote: It's a pity Mark Percival chose Saints when he was offered an academy contract with us.
I bet he thinks the same now !!!! :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cow yeds wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote: and i believe in fairies :wink:
thought you meant he's buying a house near Wakefield!! :blush:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐