Best Warriors match in the maguire/wane period

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Best Warriors match in the maguire/wane period

Post by DaveO »

KOOCH wrote:I could not get enough of seeing James Graham getting more and more frustrated as the game went on.
The game summed up the tactical nous of Madge for me. Saints had no answer and Graham knew it. Must have been doing is head in realising he was virtually powerless to stop us.
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

GF. Our second try. Cunningham's sportsmanship at the end. Magic
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Grand Final, CC final and home to Wakefield I think Easter Monday where unfortunately Amos was injured.
For John Kear to say our performance was "like watching paint dry" after we totally annihalated them with some wonderful play was priceless :)
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I liked watching paint dry but also Grand Final. Hope to make it 20 Championships this year
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I know we lost this one but I thought the WCC v. St George was a real quality, competitive match which we could easily have won, against the best in the NRL.

Obviously the GF/CCF were fabulous occasions with memorable wins but the shear quality of the defence and attack in the St George match was brilliant as was the atmosphere.

I also thought the last league game at Knowsley Rd was a real good 'un !
FAIRWARRIOR

Post by FAIRWARRIOR »

I visit this site every day but rarely leave comment.....felt I needed to on this subject for some reason.
For me it had to be the Grand Final against our rivals Saints.
Yes we won, and it was a convincing win.....but for me it was more about the circumstances surrounding the game....Terry Newton's death.
I remember being at Old Trafford, I remember the minute silence that was shown by the vast majority of supporters who respected what he gave to our great club.
There was almost a 'presence' in the stadium that day....like he was looking down on us.....there was only going to be one outcome and that was us winning.
It's a memory that will always remain with me. Thanks Terry.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

What everyone said.

I also think there were a few games last season where the quality of our play was exquisite. Like when we hammered Leeds. Of course the match didn't really mean anything, but it was a joy to watch the brand of rugby we were playing at that time and if we'd been playing like that at the end of the season we'd be looking to win back to back grand finals now.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.