FEEDER CLUB FOR NRL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: FEEDER CLUB FOR NRL

Post by cpwigan »

I was watching an old episode of SL Superstars with Dean Bell. Deano signed for Leeds and for more money. Maurice Lindsay got on the phone, sold him the Wigan dream re what was happening, the new coach (huge help etc) and the players. Deano went back on his word and signed for Wigan and for less money.

How about IL / Wane sell the Wigan vision rather than hawking players to the NRL and encouraging / pleading with them to break their contracts for transfer fees.

Not against transfer fees BTW but lets see the money spent either on players OR junior development in the service area and beyond. I do not see our community dept expanding for example.

ABOVE ALL, 'SELL' A VISION!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:I was watching an old episode of SL Superstars with Dean Bell. Deano signed for Leeds and for more money. Maurice Lindsay got on the phone, sold him the Wigan dream re what was happening, the new coach (huge help etc) and the players. Deano went back on his word and signed for Wigan and for less money.

How about IL / Wane sell the Wigan vision rather than hawking players to the NRL and encouraging / pleading with them to break their contracts for transfer fees.

Not against transfer fees BTW but lets see the money spent either on players OR junior development in the service area and beyond. I do not see our community dept expanding for example.

What 'dream' did he sell to Dean Bell? Sam has already achieved YPOY MOS LLS GF & CCF. Not many dreams left for him over here!
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

What 'dream' did he sell to Dean Bell? Sam has already achieved YPOY MOS LLS GF & CCF. Not many dreams left for him over here!

In 1986 he joined Wigan, where he was to experience his greatest success. While at Wigan, Bell became a Seven-time Challenge Cup winner (including three as captain), a Six-time Rugby Football League Championship winner, a One-time World Sevens winner, a Five-time John Player Trophy winner, a Two-time RFL Premiership winner and a Four-time Lancashire Cup winner. During the 1992–93 Rugby Football League season Bell played at centre for defending RFL champions Wigan in the 1992 World Club Challenge against the visiting Brisbane Broncos.
Bell also won the Man of Steel Award in 1992 and the Lance Todd Trophy in 1993. Bell was later inducted into the Wigan Warriors Hall of Fame.[/Bell then moved to England in August 1982, playing for Carlisle and Leeds over the next two seasons.[2] At the end of the 1983/84 season he joined Eastern Suburbs in Australia, playing 42 games for them over the next three seasons. In 1987 Bell was a guest player for the South Island in a match against Auckland.[3] In 1986 he joined Wigan, where he was to experience his greatest success. While at Wigan, Bell became a Seven-time Challenge Cup winner (including three as captain), a Six-time Rugby Football League Championship winner, a One-time World Sevens winner, a Five-time John Player Trophy winner, a Two-time RFL Premiership winner and a Four-time Lancashire Cup winner. During the 1992–93 Rugby Football League season Bell played at centre for defending RFL champions Wigan in the 1992 World Club Challenge against the visiting Brisbane Broncos.
Bell also won the Man of Steel Award in 1992 and the Lance Todd Trophy in 1993. Bell was later inducted into the Wigan Warriors Hall of Fame.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I was watching an old episode of SL Superstars with Dean Bell. Deano signed for Leeds and for more money. Maurice Lindsay got on the phone, sold him the Wigan dream re what was happening, the new coach (huge help etc) and the players. Deano went back on his word and signed for Wigan and for less money.

Wigan and Sam have won very little in comparison. 1 GF / 1 CC simply does not equate to what Lindsay convinced Deano would happen. Graham Lowe and the calibre of players being sidned saw Bell go back on his word for the only time in his life and do so for less money.

Chalk and Cheese ML and IL. I am just thankful the gang of 4 got their hands on the club when they did rather than an IL type of individual.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote: Chalk and Cheese ML and IL. I am just thankful the gang of 4 got their hands on the club when they did rather than an IL type of individual.
Who bamkrupted us to such an extent that we lost the most iconic sporting ground in the game to become a tenant of Dave Whelan? Yep, they did us proud!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Chalk and Cheese ML and IL. I am just thankful the gang of 4 got their hands on the club when they did rather than an IL type of individual.
Who bamkrupted us to such an extent that we lost the most iconic sporting ground in the game to become a tenant of Dave Whelan? Yep, they did us proud!
What has lasted in my memory from The Gang will last with me forever. As a kid sat on the wall watching Hanley, Offiah, Edwards, Tuigamala, Robinson, Hampson, Paul, Skerrett, Miles... reckless in the end or not Uncle Mo had vision and I thank them all for it. They picked us up from nowhere, battered and bruised, dragged us out of the 70s doom and put us into sporting Greatness

*sniff*
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
What has lasted in my memory from The Gang will last with me forever. As a kid sat on the wall watching Hanley, Offiah, Edwards, Tuigamala, Robinson, Hampson, Paul, Skerrett, Miles... reckless in the end or not Uncle Mo had vision and I thank them all for it. They picked us up from nowhere, battered and bruised, dragged us out of the 70s doom and put us into sporting Greatness

*sniff*
Uncle Mo certainly had vision, albeit myopic. He was a perfect Thatcherite. Sold the family silver for short term greed. Still, I'm sure he'll be pleased to read the above comments as his legacy!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Who bamkrupted us to such an extent that we lost the most iconic sporting ground in the game to become a tenant of Dave Whelan? Yep, they did us proud!

*sniff*
Uncle Mo certainly had vision, albeit myopic. He was a perfect Thatcherite. Sold the family silver for short term greed. Still, I'm sure he'll be pleased to read the above comments as his legacy!
Lindsay was not at the club when it all went pear shaped under the board led by Jack Robinson.

And the reason, it all went pear shaped was because of the club buying all the best payers in the game and going fully professional while all the others were part time. Crowds dropped as fan's got fed up of watching one sided games.

As for Leneghan, perhaps some of you would like to go back to the dark day's of the club being owned by Whelan and the likes of Millward as Coach.

Under the present management, the club club is now stronger both on and off the field than it has been since the day when the gang of four gained control in the late
seventies.

Perhaps if Leneghan had been Chairman instead of Robinson at the time, thing's might have turned out different in regard to the Stadium situation.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Spot on, Kittwazzer! :eusa2:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐