The biggest failing of Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: The biggest failing of Wane

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
thegimble wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Gimble, I think you have to compare what Souths were like pre Madge to what they are now. Madge has moved that club onwards and upwards tenfold. The injury to Reynolds mid game screwed their GF opportunity, they are GF favourites this season in a far better competition. Wane inherited a successful team and took them backwards.
Slight difference is that under Madge we had a bit more stability in personnel and he managed to get 3 quality NRL players in the squad. Whilst now we will be lucky to not have lose a few more with IL policy of letting them go as soon as they are worth anything to him. With Sam, Mossop, Richards, Hock going as well as a chance that Hansen could go i feel sorry for any coach with an owner Like IL atm.

Instability will eventually lead us to mediocrity and maybe no one will not want any of our players we can finish 5th and win a Grand final now where have i seen that happen.
The current period reminds me of when Monie went to NZ and the likes of Platt / Betts followed. Some fans forget that they faced far bigger challenges than we do now. The SL War was far more destabilising than anything happening now. I hate reading the likes of Cruncher / Wigan Peer on RLfans think somehow we (myself and Dave O have an agenda garbage). Truth be told we are just passionate intelligent fans who have seen such event in the past). I would rather care and shout / scream than be a happy clapper blindly accept the word put out in the name of Wigan RLFC as the gospel. Trust me the team never has / never will tell you the truth. Hence, take anything / everything they print with a huge 'healthy' dose of salt.

Would be nice for you both to say something positive for a change!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote: I hate reading the likes of Cruncher / Wigan Peer on RLfans think somehow we (myself and Dave O have an agenda garbage). Truth be told we are just passionate intelligent fans who have seen such event in the past). I would rather care and shout / scream than be a happy clapper blindly accept the word put out in the name of Wigan RLFC as the gospel. Trust me the team never has / never will tell you the truth. Hence, take anything / everything they print with a huge 'healthy' dose of salt.
"passionate intelligent..." surely "modest" too?

Unfortunately the "Trust me the team never has/never will tell you the truth" bit gives the impression of a blinkered, opinionated dogmatist! I'm sure you're a lovely bloke, cp - maybe the passion got the better of the intelligence on this occasion? :)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote: I hate reading the likes of Cruncher / Wigan Peer on RLfans think somehow we (myself and Dave O have an agenda garbage). Truth be told we are just passionate intelligent fans who have seen such event in the past). I would rather care and shout / scream than be a happy clapper blindly accept the word put out in the name of Wigan RLFC as the gospel. Trust me the team never has / never will tell you the truth. Hence, take anything / everything they print with a huge 'healthy' dose of salt.

Unfortunately the "Trust me the team never has/never will tell you the truth" bit gives the impression of a blinkered, opinionated dogmatist! I'm sure you're a lovely bloke, cp - maybe the passion got the better of the intelligence on this occasion? :)
I would suggest from your posts,both CP and DaveO have forgotten more about RL than you will know.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

No it is a valid criticism from Morley. I would say sometimes stubborn rather than dogmatic as I like opinions being expressed. The passionate and intelligent applies to so many fans in RL IMO. I was in a room last night with 7 others etc. I have 'locked horns' with Dave O so many times BUT I respect his opinions and sometimes he shifts my thinking as do others. Therefore dogmatic is not appropriate. Hence, on contracts my view has shifted toward the Dave O et al view.

If you think about it our club, every club tell you but a tiny fraction of the truth beyond the PR spin. Sometimes incidents occur that you cannot even post but they tell you so much about what is really happening. I am just lucky that enough people trust me enough to confide re what really happens. The quality of those people is what I depend upon to help form my opinions which more often than not are credible. The information I receive can backfire but it is far better than a bloke in the pub level.

I say the more posters, the merrier. KEEP posting Morley!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote: Would be nice for you both to say something positive for a change!
When something positive happens I will. I usually do (!) and I will look forward to your acknowledgement when I do.

If you go back to the Madge era you will see plenty of positive stuff from me.

I was even in favour of Wane getting the job after Madge as I expected continuity and he had two years under Madge. But things change.

No sooner had he got the job but he started saying he wasn't happy with how Madge had done things and how he was going to change it.

Now given he'd just ripped up my reasons for wanting him in the job in the first place I don't think me commenting on that is negative. It's just consistent with my previous view.

Things could change again. We could start seeing some better tactics and we could start being more competitive against the few top sides in the league. If we do, great and I will say so.

morley pie eater

cpwigan wrote:No it is a valid criticism from Morley. I would say sometimes stubborn rather than dogmatic as I like opinions being expressed. The passionate and intelligent applies to so many fans in RL IMO. I was in a room last night with 7 others etc. I have 'locked horns' with Dave O so many times BUT I respect his opinions and sometimes he shifts my thinking as do others. Therefore dogmatic is not appropriate. Hence, on contracts my view has shifted toward the Dave O et al view.

If you think about it our club, every club tell you but a tiny fraction of the truth beyond the PR spin. Sometimes incidents occur that you cannot even post but they tell you so much about what is really happening. I am just lucky that enough people trust me enough to confide re what really happens. The quality of those people is what I depend upon to help form my opinions which more often than not are credible. The information I receive can backfire but it is far better than a bloke in the pub level.

I say the more posters, the merrier. KEEP posting Morley!
Thanks for that cp!! I did say "gives the impression of" - from this post, clearly my impression was wrong, and I apologise for any offence caused. I agree that everyone has a right to express their opinion and respect yours.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

platt-warrior wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:

I would suggest from your posts,both CP and DaveO have forgotten more about RL than you will know.
Not sure how you know me that well from a few posts, pw, but you're entitled to your opinion - see my reply to cp.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Morley is a good egg and knows his stuff.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

So am i.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Would be nice for you both to say something positive for a change!
When something positive happens I will. I usually do (!) and I will look forward to your acknowledgement when I do.

If you go back to the Madge era you will see plenty of positive stuff from me.

I was even in favour of Wane getting the job after Madge as I expected continuity and he had two years under Madge. But things change.

No sooner had he got the job but he started saying he wasn't happy with how Madge had done things and how he was going to change it.

Now given he'd just ripped up my reasons for wanting him in the job in the first place I don't think me commenting on that is negative. It's just consistent with my previous view.

Things could change again. We could start seeing some better tactics and we could start being more competitive against the few top sides in the league. If we do, great and I will say so.
Dave. Madge was a great coach without doubt. Possibly the best we've ever had. He turned a decent side into a major force. Overnight, we became the team to beat. He put us top of the league early doors and we stayed there, going on to win the GF. We will always be grateful to him for that.

However, as became clear halfway through his 3 year contract, he came with his own agenda, which was to make a name for himself and land a good job back home. Again, I do not begrudge him that. But in doing so, he looked no further than the next game.

Wane's agenda is to keep Wigan at the top for the foreseeable future. He is blooding the youngsters who will hopefully be part of that future. Maguire wasn't interested in a legacy, building a platform for a future he had no intention of playing a part in!