Chris Tuson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Chris Tuson

Post by cpwigan »

If ever a match proved the true value of a player then tonight was that night. Always under rated by the vast majority of his own fans and seemingly his own club to the point a 2 year contract at Wakefield was better than a 3 year contract at his own club. I will not name names but just remember what people said when the Tuson news was released.
Tuson seems to have gone back to playing 10-20 minutes per game again with Farrell and Hansen in such good form. I think the opportunity to be a regular, starting player would be too good to turn down. Burke and Hughes are waiting in the wings and it just doesn't seem likely that Tuson will be able to keep those players out of the side in the next few years.
I liked Tuson as a player but it's hard to deny that he hasn't really come on in the last 2 years. He seemed as if he would be the ideal rep for Lockers but I'm not sure that's true any more. Other young players are beginning to overtake him in the pecking order.
If the salary rumours are true - is he really worth the equivalent of an overseas signing for either Wakey or us? Not sure about that.
So basically there has always been better players than him at Wigan!!
I've seen a lot better players than Tuson leave for whatever reasons and if he wants to claim he will get more gametime (as I seem to remember Eammon O'Carroll saying the same thing when he joined Hull FC) then fair enough.
Every player has there value both in terms of wage but also to the squad and I'm sure once the 3 year deal was on the table, Tuson felt he was worthy of more and moved on once his contract ended - no biggie for me
Tyson will never be more than a squad player, it's understandable that he wants to be a first teamer, but not at Wigan, never in a million years will he be good enough. Don't think it's much of a loss to us IMO.
Have we got a better squad player/players coming through that we could sign on contracts for less money? Or are there better squad players available external from Wigan who we could get for less money?
Has Tuson played his part? Really? I'm just going on the standards of Wigan RL, and IMO Tuson does not have the required ability, there are much better squad players.
Burke was better. He was tackling everything that moved tonight and showed some good handling. Tuson did what Tuson does, but in the context of that game it was a match where you would hope he might raise his game and show a little bit more but he was just the same as always, reasonable but nothing more. Hughes was crap but he's not looking comfortable at centre at all.
Tuson will be wanting to progress his career and play as much rugby as possible. I can't imagine he will have been too pleased by playing 10-20 minutes in some games even though he's been included in the side every time he's fit.
It wouldn't surprise me if Tuson wanted to become an important player within a side and be one of the first names on the team sheet. That was never going to happen at Wigan.
As useful as he is, he's not a patch on Lockers, Hansen or Farrell and so there's bound to be a limit on how much Wigan should be willing to pay him.
Spot on, which can is more then can be said about the usual anti Wane comments from the Chuckle Brothers.
God!! was truly vindicated tonight :wink:
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Chris Tuson

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

IIRC I said 'So basically there has always been better players than him at Wigan', I stand by that comment as in the 2nd Row in recent seasons while Tuson has been on the scene there has been such as HH, Hock, Hoffman, Tomkins, Farrell, etc. but does that mean I want him to leave, never said that, I don't think!! :wink: :(
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

One of the better performers for me tonight, but still IMO only ever going to be a good squad player.
Its a shame hes leaving but I dont think he'll be sorely missed.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

You can't fault his effort tonight given he is leaving.

Kind of gives lie to the idea that as soon as a player has a future elsewhere it automatically means his mind is already there.

Very professional approach to the game and the kind of attitude that makes me respect players who behave like this.
TSB

Post by TSB »

Chris Tuson was awesome tonight thought he was MOM. Very Professional approach from Chris or was it Just the love of the club. Will be sadly missed next Year
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Certainly will TSB. I think we as fans forget forget that players are on a maturing journey that requires patience. One where their optimum years are some time in their mid to late 20's. Mind you the RFL IMO forget that too with their dreadful Academy age restrictions.
markill

Post by markill »

Tuson was good and has had a number of good games this season and scored some crucial tries. I don't think his effort has ever been questioned by anyone and it certainly shouldn't be, but this doesn't change him from being a squad player for us but a regular starter getting plenty of minutes for a team like Wakefield. He value to them would still be higher than his value to us. Fully fit squad, he might not have been playing last night or might have been o the bench and had 20-30mins. Fully fit squad for Wakefield he would start and play 60mins. Wakefield obviously value him higher in their order than we do and he would have received an offer from them that showed that - I remember we hypothesised it could easily be the same value for two years than we offered for three.

Massive credit to him for not letting things drop since he announced he was off. Professional. He and others are leaving and lets just hope that they do so with one or two more medals in their pocket.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

markill wrote:Tuson was good and has had a number of good games this season and scored some crucial tries. I don't think his effort has ever been questioned by anyone and it certainly shouldn't be, but this doesn't change him from being a squad player for us but a regular starter getting plenty of minutes for a team like Wakefield. He value to them would still be higher than his value to us. Fully fit squad, he might not have been playing last night or might have been o the bench and had 20-30mins. Fully fit squad for Wakefield he would start and play 60mins. Wakefield obviously value him higher in their order than we do and he would have received an offer from them that showed that - I remember we hypothesised it could easily be the same value for two years than we offered for three.

Massive credit to him for not letting things drop since he announced he was off. Professional. He and others are leaving and lets just hope that they do so with one or two more medals in their pocket.
Totally agree with you. It is quite immature to attempt some sort of petty point scoring too after just last night. Why not do the same after he played last week?

Now if someone wants to come on here and categorically state exactly what Wigan offered and what Wakefield offered then we the fans can make our own minds up if Tuson signed for the money or for the opportunity :wink:
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO wrote:You can't fault his effort tonight given he is leaving.

Kind of gives lie to the idea that as soon as a player has a future elsewhere it automatically means his mind is already there.

Very professional approach to the game and the kind of attitude that makes me respect players who behave like this.
Agree 100% dave, must have been nearly MOTM, never Richards in a million years.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

wall_of_voodoo wrote:
markill wrote:Tuson was good and has had a number of good games this season and scored some crucial tries. I don't think his effort has ever been questioned by anyone and it certainly shouldn't be, but this doesn't change him from being a squad player for us but a regular starter getting plenty of minutes for a team like Wakefield. He value to them would still be higher than his value to us. Fully fit squad, he might not have been playing last night or might have been o the bench and had 20-30mins. Fully fit squad for Wakefield he would start and play 60mins. Wakefield obviously value him higher in their order than we do and he would have received an offer from them that showed that - I remember we hypothesised it could easily be the same value for two years than we offered for three.

Totally agree with you. It is quite immature to attempt some sort of petty point scoring too after just last night. Why not do the same after he played last week?

Now if someone wants to come on here and categorically state exactly what Wigan offered and what Wakefield offered then we the fans can make our own minds up if Tuson signed for the money or for the opportunity :wink:
How can it be point scoring when the comments are not attributed to anybody and the only person mentioned is God. Did you not think Tuson is an excellent player and worth a spot in our 17 Voodoo? It might be that Chris Tuson last night was the pivotal moment in finishing 1st or 2nd?